GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've not driven the car for ten days and low and behold the battery was flat when i came to it yesterday, made a few clicking noises but didnt turn over at all.

Put the trickle charger (albeit an ancient relic handed down through generations, but it worked fine 3 months ago, got a ctek 3.6 ordered!) on it overnight but came home from work today and no joy, no power to anything, not even interior light, no dash lights etc, my voltmeter has also decided to break just to hinder matters further.

Could i of tripped the immobiliser into cutting the power or is there some sort of secret start up procedure that needs doing to it, any help greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I'd just change the battery mate, they're not really man enough for the job especially when they get a bit older and the weather bites.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Get an Optima Yellow top battery... you can leave the car sitting for over a month and it will start first time.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
I think this is the right one, cheapest I've found it - Optima Yellow Top YTS 2.7 R (Reversed) (8073-176) (D51R) YTS2.7R YTR2.7 AGM - Optima Batteries - Optima Yellow Top Batteries

Has to be the reversed version.

Apparently some of the cheaper batteries from EuroCarParts are nearly as good as the yellow top for half the price, I know some of the traders on here have recommended a couple of cheaper options in the past. They come with 5 years warranty as well which is decent for a £70-80 battery.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers for the info guys.
My CTEK charger turned up today (pretty dam quick considering i only ordered it Mon pm and a bargain at £42!) and gave the car power the second it was connected, so old charger must've died, going to see how it goes with a charge once a week then if still not holding charge a new battery it is!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have had exactly the same. Came back from 5 days away and it was dead as a dodo.

I think I will have to invest in a trickle charger.

I am sure having a Tracker helps to drain it even more!!

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I've had the ctek 3.6 and works well. When I remember to use it. But i bought my dad a 5 for not much more as it claims to have a battery reconditioning mode. Not used it myself. Anybody got any insight?
Thought I'd mention it for the guys buying at the mo.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
My battery has failed twice. I think it's time for new one.. Is there any problem changing them yourself or do I need to go to the garage to get one changed???

·
Registered
336 Posts
With my work I'm away for days on end and every time I get home, the car barely starts.
When I went to ACSpeedtech in Warrington Andy said because the battery is struggling to start, when actually does fire up it spikes and causes error codes all over the place.
So he got me a new Bosch jobbie with a 5 year warranty for £65, stuck it in and all is good again.....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Does the R35 consume so much electricity that after 10 or so days the battery will be dead? Is that normal? How about when putting car to garage for winter? Does it need any special checks other than leaving the windows a tad down and taking battery out of it.

Will lets say 6 month standing inside of dry garage make harm to car, I mean with all the onboard computers etc. Does anyone have any experience?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Will lets say 6 month standing inside of dry garage make harm to car, I mean with all the onboard computers etc. Does anyone have any experience?
I hope not, as i'll be SORN for the winter ( Nov-March) when I get mine!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I park my car out side, sometimes I use it daily other times it will sit for a couple weeks but the battery usually dies after 2 weeks. My only option is to go the trickle charge route but whats the opitmal way to pre-wire the battery so i dont need to pop the bonnet each time i want to charge the car? Are there any external sockets that you can buy to plug the trickle charge into?

thoughts please

·
Registered
66 Posts
I park my car out side, sometimes I use it daily other times it will sit for a couple weeks but the battery usually dies after 2 weeks. My only option is to go the trickle charge route but whats the opitmal way to pre-wire the battery so i dont need to pop the bonnet each time i want to charge the car? Are there any external sockets that you can buy to plug the trickle charge into?

thoughts please
If the car is in secure place why wont you keep the trickle charger connected to the car all the time. Or go for smart charger (like Ctek or such) that will keep your battery healthy for long times. In Finland we have long winters and many of the car enthusiast use that type of smart charger over winter months while they car is sitting at the garage.

Only problem with those of course is if one doesn't have a garage.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts