GTR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got a set of endless 6 pots with floating discs, they are second hand but very good condition.

however how loose is the disc supposed to be, they seem quite loose.

but the main question is do floating discs always rattle when you go over bumps, like the disc rattles around going over bumps?

cheers

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok i know the problem now, discs are too worn and are not contacting the pad when brake isnt depressed so they are just loose and rattling about.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have floating discs on my car and they do rattle on the street. They are really intended for the track. They do feel as though they are loose but this is by design. I doubt your rattle is from the discs being "worn"

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
i have floating discs and they have no movement or rattling, i am not sure but i dont think that there should be any atall

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
True race spec sloating discs will rattle, some street type discs have friction fingers to try and stem the rattle. A stock or floating disc can be worn beyond the makers friction face thickness limit but it shouldn't rattle any more or less than a new one. Some discs have the float in the discs themselves, some in the bells. Discs and bells both wear, as do the bobbins. They are all considered sacrificial on a race car and get changed regularly. Have you any good detailed close up photos of a disc and bell stripped down?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the discs are quite badly worn and the bobbins on the bells are rusted up good, so basically i need new discs and bells.

however i dont really want floating discs, id rather just use solid normal ones. i just dont know what discs i can actually use with these callipers, every company ive emailed just dont reply, even endless themselves wont reply.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
endless say that they only make floating discs for the skyline, does anyone know if you can use a different manufacturers discs with these callipers, im pretty sure the discs the kit came with are standard size (i think)

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I can make, or if they are complicated, get made, some bells to suit off the shelf AP or Alcon discs. I'd need the old discs and bells to get measurements off, and it would take at least two weeks.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks chris, i should have clarified.

endless make the bells and discs to suit, however.

1. i dont want floating type discs
2. i dont want to pay the stupidly high price endless charge for their discs

so what i want is discs (preferebly non floating) made by a cheaper company that fit my callipers.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I don't know what Endless charge for discs, I know their race pads are very expensive, but are also VERY good. All race quality discs are a lot more expensive than road discs, as they are made in relatively tiny numbers. It may be more cost effective to revert to a stock set up with good pads and fluid.

·
Registered
439 Posts
From your comments above Chris can we assume that for a road only car it is best to have one piece disks?

I was going to look at some DBA5000 2 piece rotors with stock Brembo R34 GTR pads
Any thoughts on that combo?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Depends entirely what usage the car is put to. Floating discs accommodate the extreme floppiness of stock uprights and wheel bearing assemblies better than a one piece disc. Separate discs and bells are usually lighter, one piece discs are a lot cheaper though, and serious track day usage will have stock pads on fire.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Extreme floppiness... :) I guess race car really are that different.

I will be driving the car only on the road and was going to go for 2 piece for the weight saving mainly and also always like to upgrade a part if it needs replacing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts