GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed that a new trend (chav?) is to have your registration plate look like it's from a foreign land, even down to an EU acronym of a foreign country!

What's this all about?

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
erm sort of.

i frequently see a pretty nice VW golf mk2 i think, its on a german plate, but its a RHD though?

the guy who drives it is not chav at all though, the car runs on bbs alloys wrapped in what looks like dunlop semi slicks! and the car is stripped out to.

i myself want a japanese plate, spelling . . 33 :D(when i have my R33 offcourse lol)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's an example from another forum:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Its probably so if you go through a speed camera the old bill might not bother issuing a ticket :D

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Its probably so if you go through a speed camera the old bill might not bother issuing a ticket :D
probably, but its stupid though.

as the UK is the only RHD country in western europe, and the police see a car which is RHD, but with foreign plates the first thing they'd do is pulling them over for a small check up.

what you could do though, is having the car registered in the country you want, but you have to insure it in that coutry to i think AND pay their road tax.

thats what i think though.

·
Registered
646 Posts
No i think it's very much a Euro touch, nodding to the German Styling, trying to create the car in an image most matching to its Country of Origin. It's attention to detail, I do like it. Don't think it's a chav thing at all, more of a purists thing, I know a few VW Old School DieHards with Golfs with the German Style Font on their UK Plates.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
i think you will find there allegal to have a car registered in the uk displaying non uk style plates,the law is only uk approved plates,on uk reged cars,there show plates,any number plate place will make what you want,but it will have a disclamer saying SHOW PLATES ONLY,NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE :wavey: NISMOMAN

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
think it looks good, nice little cupra that too, had one as my car before last, it did shift. same colour as that one too.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
it wont be illegal when regged, insured etc in the country the plate is from i think?

its illegal to do that if you're not xxx days in that country a year though?

·
Registered
24 Posts
No i think it's very much a Euro touch, nodding to the German Styling, trying to create the car in an image most matching to its Country of Origin. It's attention to detail, I do like it. Don't think it's a chav thing at all, more of a purists thing, I know a few VW Old School DieHards with Golfs with the German Style Font on their UK Plates.
I especially like it. Like Laurence said, its an extra styling touch to make it seem like the car is from that particular country...so like as though your skyline was actually from/in japan, someone's mustang actually looks like its from Texas etc etc... I think ANY styling touch can be made to look chavvy (or not) by the way its applied, the kind of car its applied to and whether or not it fits any kind of aesthetic style.

I do believe they are illegal tho, like everyone says showplates. I "think" the rule is they have to have the little EU sticker saying UK on the left, the letters must be bold and clear and the bolts should not conveniently block part of the letters to spell out your wife's name or anything. Oh yeah and the spacing HAS to be XX 00 XXX or X 000 XXX depending on the age of the car.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
If you want some plate combinations that make sense, let me know :D
That plate on the cupra looks like a french or spanish look-a-like

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
probably, but its stupid though.

as the UK is the only RHD country in western europe, and the police see a car which is RHD, but with foreign plates the first thing they'd do is pulling them over for a small check up.

what you could do though, is having the car registered in the country you want, but you have to insure it in that coutry to i think AND pay their road tax.

thats what i think though.

Not so true, as a frenchman, if I bring my car to the UK permanently (as I live here), I'll need to register it with the DVLA & therefore have UK reg plates
So you'll have a LHD car in the UK with UK reg plates

And regarding road taxes, they were "abolished" a couple of years ago in France :p

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
question: how to mount euro (german-dimension) plates on a Skyline?

Korea has been switching to new plates starting from last November. The new plates have the same dimensions as German plates. However, for older cars, they have weird compressed plates to fit in the standard plate size (USA/JP style). Seems like Hyundai and Kia had a heads up, as all of their recent cars can accomodate the new German-sized plates. And of course, everyone driving a Benz or Porsche have the new plates fitting literally quite naturally.

I've figured out how I'm going to mount the front plate (drill it into the bottom lip of the front bumper), but am stumped with how to put one in the rear (R32). Any Germans/Europeans with R32s with pics as to how they've mounted their rear plates?

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
Has anyone else noticed that a new trend (chav?) is to have your registration plate look like it's from a foreign land, even down to an EU acronym of a foreign country!?
[email protected], why is it chav, ive never seen any scummy chavs with that, its almost totally the bigtime VW/French car fans.

Nice to see people still havent got any idea who/what chav is :D :confused:

·
Banned
336 Posts
What happens if I register my car in a european country, at my friends address, insure it and all in that country and then drive it back to the uk:) Im sure you can avoid parking tickets, congestion charge and all

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Not so true, as a frenchman, if I bring my car to the UK permanently (as I live here), I'll need to register it with the DVLA & therefore have UK reg plates
So you'll have a LHD car in the UK with UK reg plates

And regarding road taxes, they were "abolished" a couple of years ago in France
yes, but you have emmigrated to the UK, therefore live here.

what i ment was, people in the UK doing all that stuff in germany (as an example), but dont live there....therefore making it illegal in the UK....i think.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
What happens if I register my car in a european country, at my friends address, insure it and all in that country and then drive it back to the uk:) Im sure you can avoid parking tickets, congestion charge and all
Thought about that to avoid the UK road tax, but couldn't find an insurance company who would insure me if the car is out of France most of the time
IMHO, now with the EU, I don't think you can really avoid parking ticket or the C charge with a foreign plate

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.