GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Obviously look very easy to fit, only a couple bolts and nice and easy to get to.

What is concerning me in the spring rate adjustment, I have the yellow spring fitted atm, and green came with as a spare.

Yellow correct for stage 4?

The instruction sheet reads basically use the adjusters by trial and error to get right, is this correct?

"Each user will need to adjust their valves so that it will hold boost all the way to the specified redline of their application under wide open throttle without experiencing any valve fluttering at full boost throttle lift

If valve fluttering is felt at full boost throttle lift = too stiff

If leaking under WOT before redline = too soft"

Sooo, I should hear the noises from the valves (the famous ptshhhhhhh) when changing gear, but not changing gear during foot flat down driving? Is this because it is bad for the engine?

Basically I dont want to do any damage and trying to get advice how to make sure I dont set them wrong, thanks!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I've never heard mine changing up gears. I think the gear change is so quick even under part throttle. I hear them when changing down aggressively when the engine rev matches but they make the most noise when lifting off under full boost. Sometimes they flutter when lifting off under part boost. Mine are HKS but sure the principle is the same.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All fitted.

So from the hazey instructions basically I dont want them to flutter when lifting from full boost? or changing gear on full boost? as this can damage the turbos?

They sound good so far :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
It's a bit beyond my knowledge but I would have thought you're losing valuable boost if they're going off when you shift on full throttle.

·
Ooo Matron !
2,128 Posts
You want to hear them when lifting off or changing gear (but as has been said, you may not hear them when changing gear as the change is very quick).

Under acceleration, if you hear them then the spring is too weak and it's dumping air and don't want that.

I was going fit them but from what's been said about not hearing them on a gear change I've decided against it as my only reason for fitting them was the psssttt noise on gear change.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Ive fitted TurboSmart BOVs on the advice of Iain & Sly as was told that the Forge BOVs don't operate correctly with Litchfield's maps. Mines a stage 3, and at the moment I only get the Pssssssst on lift-off which sound dooooope, however I will play with them tomorrow as the have a hard/soft setting which allows adjustment. Sly said that the piston shouldn't be open to far as this will create turbo lag where the air that's normally used to spool the turbo up is exhausted through the BOV, hence the turbo slows and then needs to re-spool

I'll have a play tomorrow and report back:)

Cheers
Louie

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I was going fit them but from what's been said about not hearing them on a gear change I've decided against it as my only reason for fitting them was the psssttt noise on gear change.

You can just put the throttle down a bit and lift to get the noise, just been out and a well timed foot turned every head on the pavement :p

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
Ive fitted TurboSmart BOVs on the advice of Iain & Sly as was told that the Forge BOVs don't operate correctly with Litchfield's maps. Mines a stage 3, and at the moment I only get the Pssssssst on lift-off which sound dooooope, however I will play with them tomorrow as the have a hard/soft setting which allows adjustment. Sly said that the piston shouldn't be open to far as this will create turbo lag where the air that's normally used to spool the turbo up is exhausted through the BOV, hence the turbo slows and then needs to re-spool

I'll have a play tomorrow and report back:)

Cheers
Louie
errrrr, hope not as I was / am an early adopter of the Forge BOV's, in fact I was the first one fitted with Forge BOV's as a trial for Forge and my car was remapped as recently as 2 weeks ago. :eek:

Iain knows my car inside out as he also supplied it !!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
an early adopter of the Forge BOV's, in fact I was the first one fitted with Forge BOV's as a trial for Forge

Can you please help me,

I'm worried about the settings on my forge bov,

want to make sure I have it right:

am I right in reading the instructions that, partial throttle lift = flutter is ok

but full throttle& boost lift = a strong hiss instead of flutter, this is right?

I have the yellow spring fitted and set as loose as it'll go really,

I dont have leaking of the valves so didnt need to set it any tighter?

Basically how do I know its set right??? :bowdown1:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts