GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently just bought a 2nd hand Forge/Litchfield 80mm intake kit. The used pipercross filters that were supplied with the intake are very dirty and worn. I know they can be washed and re-used but I'd prefer to just replace them.

Now this got me thinking, should I just order a new set of pipercross foam filter elements or try a different filter e.g. K&N or green cone type filter?

I created a table with alternative filter elements but can't seem to get the link from imgur work properly. I'll try and post it later.

What are peoples thoughts, has anyone else gone down this route when replacing the filter element?

·
Premium Member
7,640 Posts
I’d start by calling Litchfield and asking what a new set of their pipercross filters will cost you.

Then I’d compare what savings you might make going with an alternative.

The cost differential should take into account any filtration differences as well as installation differences too (foam can be a lot easier to get into that small space in the bumper area without removing the bumper).

Also ask yourself why Litchfield chose that specific filter make and type.

Personally I wouldn’t scrimp on the very thing that’ll save your turbos and engine from particle damage.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hello Charlie,
Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.
The main reason for considering other options over the pipercross wasn't due to cost but to guage opinion on whether or not any of the filters medias were deemed as being better, interms of filtration and air flow?

Ironically the pipercross filters elements are one of the more competitively priced items on the list.

·
Premium Member
7,640 Posts
Fair point.

Given Litchfield use these exclusively on their installs (AFAIK) there must be something about them.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check out the links below from Forge Motorsport and pipercross, they both reference the same part no; C0340

https://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/Forge__Pipercross_80mm_ID_Rubber_Neck_Open_Cone_Air_Filter--product--953.html

http://www.thepipercrossshop.co.uk/pipercross-rubber-neck-universal-filters-height-200mm-x-neck-dia-80mm-x-outer-dia-150mm-c0340_p23375753.htm

Although the air filters may have been created originally as specific item for Litchfield, they now appear to be just a regular off the shelf item for pipercross.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, finally got the BB code for the image to work.

Comparison table of filters

Diagram for reference

1 - 8 of 8 Posts