GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello peops,

Planning on getting some new shoes for my car in the new year.

Some really nice wheels out there… but cost a fortune!!! I just cant get my head around spending £5k ish just on a set of aftermarket wheels???!!! Maybe I will have to… as I seriously fancy a set of BC Forged HB29's!!!! :runaway:

My question was that there are a few options of wheels that are cast - not forged!!! Is this such a big issue on the GTR??? Are cast wheels safe???

I am sure I saw a few R35's at the Jap Show Finale - Santa Pod with cast wheels? Any issues to report???

Thanks

Rocky

·
Registered
257 Posts
I pick up my HB29's on Saturday from Projex UK, i went their to order them and have a discussion with James. We both decided that the GTR really needs forge wheels as the standard wheels 09-10 are prone to cracking. After this he did me an amazing deal on a set, worth a call to see what they can offer you.

I have seen a few running Cast aftermarket wheels with no problems but my opinion is save a little more and buy a Forged set.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
I would be nervous running cast wheels if going on track.
It's a heavy old beast and is putting a lot of stress into them.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I would not entertain cast wheels at all on the GT-R. Big weight and stresses on them with the GT-R.

Even some makes of forged wheel are not up to standard. Personally I would buy either Rays - Volk Racing or HRE. A lot of these 'show' wheels look absolutely stunning but I wouldn't want to be bombing round a track on them. Just IMHO of course.

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I pick up my HB29's on Saturday from Projex UK, i went their to order them and have a discussion with James. We both decided that the GTR really needs forge wheels as the standard wheels 09-10 are prone to cracking. After this he did me an amazing deal on a set, worth a call to see what they can offer you.

I have seen a few running Cast aftermarket wheels with no problems but my opinion is save a little more and buy a Forged set.
Sorry to sound stupid… but are the 09/10 OEM wheels cast?????????

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would not entertain cast wheels at all on the GT-R. Big weight and stresses on them with the GT-R.

Even some makes of forged wheel are not up to standard. Personally I would buy either Rays - Volk Racing or HRE. A lot of these 'show' wheels look absolutely stunning but I wouldn't want to be bombing round a track on them. Just IMHO of course.
Damn!!!! :bawling:

BC Forged was my choice if I go for forged wheels!

·
Banned
3,066 Posts
Sorry to sound stupid***8230; but are the 09/10 OEM wheels cast?????????
The standard wheels are forged Rays.

I was after some cheap track wheels a couple of years ago. I phoned Rare Rims to get some Rotas (cast) and they wouldnt sell me them as I told them I was using them on a GTR.

Most alloys are tested to JWL standard. They will say VIA and/or JWL

The forces that the heavy GTR put on the alloys is greater than that of the JWL standard. Im sure they be fine for drive to McDonandls, but you wouldnt want to bounce them up the curbs on a track all day

RAYS wheels are tested to JWL+R which surpasses the JWL standard RAYS CO., LTD.

So in a nutshell, dont buy crap alloys and just because its forged, doesnt mean its strong.

Cracked forged Rennen

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've been running bc forged hb29s coming upto a year now and driven hard plenty on times and no issues, I think alloy (Shaun I think) on here also running bc forged and was happy with them. I think the projex guys would think twice about selling you a set of forged rims that were not upto the job.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts