GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When building a brand new forged engine does it come with a warranty?
Which engine builder is recommended and what kind of warranty to expect and how long for.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I think a genuine warranty may have to be sourced externally by the tuner if you want something in black and white

The use of engine would have to be factored in, obviously any competition use would be a no no.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does that means none of the engine builders offer any kind of warranty with their builds? A bit strange imho

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
LOL

Whats strange about buying a random set of bits, throwing them in a house thats at least 15 years old, bending the crap outta them while feeding them god knows what fuel, with unknown mechanical sympathy and knowledge by the owner in order for the guy who maybe made 2grand profit out the job to pick up the pieces for whatever random happenstance caused the inevitable demise of 20k's worth of stuff ???

Best you're gonna get is a "workmanship" warranty that the builders expertise and work didn't cause the meltdown.

When you take something that was designed for 300bhp and then change all the parts, made by other companies with their own quality control variables, and then expect double or more power from it all then warranty is kind of a mythical concept lol

J.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I believe Nismo and some companies like Mine's offer a 1 year warranty with something like 10,000 km mileage.

The only way they can offer that is because they only do a certain set build that they have validated much like an OEM would and they have a preset ECU map that you have to use as well.

They also charge way, way more than most.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I do remember coming across posts on the forum where there's legal action taken by a customer on say a blown engine built by a tuner but don't often see an update post. Would be interesting to see what the 'engineers report' finds and if there is a settlement.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Ive been a fair way through that

With a tuner that didn't have a clue !! And ultimately you get into this position of spending potentially more on solicitors than youve already blown up on the engine lol

But I personally know a few that have done it successfully, but the majority end up in a boggy wilderness of engineers reports, hearsay and conjecture when it all gets nasty and sometimes the tuners just fold up and start again with a slightly different name.

Better to get a decent tuner, develop a good rapport with them and hope they give you support rather than expecting a full "warranty" and immediately getting heavy with things if it goes tits up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts