GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else find that the car holds forth gear for quite a long time (especially when cold)? Only happens sometimes but it just seems too long.
Happened once today in normal driving mode and seemed to strain the engine but then didnt happen again!

BTW I do have the latest gearbox software upgrade.

Maybe worrying about nothing....

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
If you mean going up the gears, it does hold some gears a bit longer to help warm the car up faster.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just was in forth and held it for so long I back off waiting for it to change. Like I said only happened once though so maybe it was a gremlin?

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
When the car is cold and you are driving in auto it will hold 3rd and 4th so that the engine revs higher to generate more heat. This is then transferred from the engine's coolant via a heat exchanger to the transmission fluid in order to heat that up faster.

It's an essential process to heat up very cold transmission fluid which is way below its optimum operating temp and as such isn't protecting the transmission as well as it can.

If it really bothers you that much, drive the car like a man and stop using AUTO ;)

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
True CC, that's what I found strange about the other thread (auto or manual?) where ppl were saying they started off in auto until the car had warmed up, then changed to manual, i.e. they laboured the engine and gearbox in top gear when it was stone cold, and thought that was better than driving in manual in 3rd or 4th. Strange but true :)

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I've had this debate many times, but as a quick analogy, imagine riding a 5 speed bicycle at 10 mph in either 2nd gear or 5th gear. The stress (torque) going through your legs (con rods) in 5th at low speed (low rpm) is far greater than in 2nd gear at the same speed (high rpm). Red lining a car through the gears when hot is far less stressful than WOT at 3-4k rpm in high gears, but most ppl seem to think otherwise.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I've had this debate many times, but as a quick analogy, imagine riding a 5 speed bicycle at 10 mph in either 2nd gear or 5th gear. The stress (torque) going through your legs (con rods) in 5th at low speed (low rpm) is far greater than in 2nd gear at the same speed (high rpm). Red lining a car through the gears when hot is far less stressful than WOT at 3-4k rpm in high gears, but most ppl seem to think otherwise.
Very true mate. Stripped fifth in my Noble, yet the lower gears were the ones that got the kickin lol. Wasn't aware that auto held the gears longer when cold but then I never use it :chuckle:

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Very true mate. Stripped fifth in my Noble, yet the lower gears were the ones that got the kickin lol. Wasn't aware that auto held the gears longer when cold but then I never use it :chuckle:
Saucyboy = MAN :chuckle:

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
I never knew these cars could be driven in auto.....learn something every day:chuckle:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts