GTR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,342 Posts
the forum isn***8217;t going anywhere. Like I say there is a massive overhaul in the works which will improve everything from Searching through to sharing media. Ease of sign up, accessibility to non-forum peeps and more.

Yes the way people use forums has changed but if anything thier place is more apparent than ever.

·
Super Moderator
31,342 Posts
Whether you choose to accept it or not, Facebook doesn't censor posts like forums do.
It seems, if you want to have a say and a different opinion without censorship, you flow with the water (splinter group) that suits.
Yes. Because a platform that allows live streaming of mass murder or hate preaching and child abuse is definitly better than what we have here. Yes I know your issue is about tuners and moderation of conflicts but as I***8217;ve explained many times, very little ever actually gets removed. The phone call I got the other week should give you some reassurance of my position.

·
Following EJH#25
6,832 Posts
Yes. Because a platform that allows live streaming of mass murder or hate preaching and child abuse is definitly better than what we have here. Yes I know your issue is about tuners and moderation of conflicts but as I’ve explained many times, very little ever actually gets removed. The phone call I got the other week should give you some reassurance of my position.
Just an FYI: I’m not a member of ANY Facebook groups, with the exception of my son’s karting, it’s not my ‘cup of tea’ Mike; I left them all a while ago. Surely if my “issue is about tuners and moderation of conflicts” I’d just sign up to said platform(s) and say (like some do) whatever I wanted?

I also received several calls btw, I offered advice and nothing more and to be quite honest, I’m really not interested in your position or moreover, your perception of your position. Someone simply asked for help and I didn’t turn my back like others have previously; as I’ve maintained for a very very long time, an amicable solution is always the best for all parties - end of.

And contrary to popular belief, I’m not active in any scene or that interested in the marques anymore; I plod on with my own build but my appetite for it is rapidly dwindling. Perhaps, I only check-in here, more and more infrequently, to try and keep some sort of enthusiasm and interest going.

Anyway, my post wasn’t aimed at you or anyone in particular, it was a generalisation of why I believe traffic is moving elsewhere, based purely on my own observations.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
This forum is dying for 2 primary reasons, neither of which can be reversed now (too late), so I can***8217;t see it being revived, realistically:

That Photobucket changed its policies from free photo hosting to $400 USD per year, naturally led to few if any users of this service wanting to use it any more. As a result, forums lost pictures on old threads and their content became uninteresting or irrelevant. This was no accident. In one fell swoop, this led to traffic on forums going to a community place where photo hosting was free and took seconds, not minutes. i.e. Facebook and the demise of most, except the strongest communities of forums (Some of which are still alive and well).

The other reason I did warn (via PM) of, many times, with regard to allowing the strong community to be eroded through bickering was driving core members away, but I was met with resistance by the mods. I could only surmise the traffic this sort of behaviour generated was sought after, but it was the wrong kind of traffic. It seems I was right, as on FB there***8217;s a lot less of this, not least because people generally use their own names.
In fact, groups on FB are moderated, but where people know their own names are displayed and their friends in life can see their comments, individuals tend to be more peaceful to one another.

Newera spent over £10K on supporting this forum over 13 years (probably the longest running sponsor) until the day I found out that other sponsors & friends in the business were paying a small fraction of what we were. I was naturally incensed and stopped payment of the next renewal when the time came. That shock at being overcharged was a stern warning of the sort of people we were dealing with & the final nail on the coffin for us, really. Mook's response was to tell me if I left and wanted to come back, it would cost £1,000 a year. Naturally, at that comment and knowing traffic was already much lower than ever back then (& it's only decreased since), my desire to ever sponsor this forum again became zero, permanently so.

Around the same time, seeing Skyline prices in Japan continuing to rise and people complaining our cars were expensive when there was little profit left in them, despite our enthusiasm for these cars it made no sense to sell them any more. So, seeing what we had been doing for the community (supplying many of the UK's top Skylines back in the day) was now forgotten, we stopped investing in Skyline GT-R***8217;s for resale and develop business elsewhere, including within Japan. Fortunately so, as otherwise we'd have been beating the proverbial dead horse.

We could see years ahead of where Skyline GT-R prices in Japan were headed and also watched Nissan and Nismo raise their prices gradually with each year, as they monitored what parts were selling. No surprise they also understood ahead of time that Skyline GT-R***8217;s were headed for classic status. As a result, they have re-introduced things like quarter panels, interior trim, etc. but also raised their prices in line with residual classic Skyline values in Japan. Prices will continue to rise too.

Brexit has caused the value of the £ to stay low and recently it***8217;s slid further. So the days of lots of Skylines available cheaply in Japan and parts being cheap are long, long gone. Even Nissan GT-R***8217;s have risen in cost from Nissan with each passing year, making them less affordable to younger owners so I'm wondering, just where does this forum expect to get new traffic?

I miss the days there was a strong community here, those were great days with a great spirit here. Sadly, remembering those, I could see it eroding quickly years ago though. I'll always keep a few 32 GT-R's and Matty's is nearing completion into what will be one of the UK's best 32's...
We haven't by any means lost our personal enthusiasm for Skyline GT-R's, only the forum due to the way it was run and for the U.K. market due to the demise of Sterling's value effectively ending what business was left at the end of our tenure here.

I hope the forum can continue to survive but can imagine with little traffic, there***8217;s ever decreasing interest in sponsorship or revenue generated to sustain it.
Still, it would be sad for it to disappear altogether.

·
Super Moderator
31,342 Posts
Newera spent over £10K on supporting this forum over 13 years (probably the longest running sponsor) until the day I found out that other sponsors & friends in the business were paying a small fraction of what we were. I was naturally incensed and stopped payment of the next renewal when the time came. .
you never did give me evidence of this because it simply isn't true.

And as for the forum dying, isn't it ironic that as soon as there is a thread, people come out of the woodwork and reply. So, far from being dead, it's still being read every month by over 70,000 people. They just don't post like they used to. Making that easier WILL increase activity.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
you never did give me evidence of this because it simply isn't true.
Mook, don't try to hide it.

Surely you saw the invoices - you even discussed it with me on PM's at the end (I still have copies of PM's).

£700 per year, for 13 years. If you'd like reminding, I'm sure I could print & post copies of several invoices?

·
Ooo Matron !
2,007 Posts
. It seems I was right, as on FB there’s a lot less of this, not least because people generally use their own names.
That's a good point.

I think it's because FB works the opposite way round to a forum (not just this forum). People join FB groups when they already know people that are part of that group but with a forum people join without knowing anyone.

For example, I joined this forum 5 years ago and I knew no one. After 5 years I've met two people ! My missus, on the other hand, uses a FB local community group and actually knows all the people in the group, hence she and all the others use their real names because they want people to know who they are.

Again, I don't know how that helps, it's just an observation.

·
Super Moderator
31,342 Posts
Mook, don't try to hide it.

Surely you saw the invoices - you even discussed it with me on PM's at the end (I still have copies of PM's).

£700 per year, for 13 years. If you'd like reminding, I'm sure I could print & post copies of several invoices?
yes, £700 a year for 13 years, I don't dispute that. Name the traders paying less.

·
Premium Member
2,729 Posts
I've probably said this before but for me this is the only forum where I can find everything I need in one place - notifications of really good GTRDC driving events, new and used parts, technical discussions and properly moderated banter on a range of motoring subjects.

·
Ooo Matron !
2,007 Posts
It's quite ironic that this thread is about the death of this forum (and what can be done about it) and it's turned into public bickering about stuff that I assume only 2 people (i.e, the two people bickering) know about.

To use an expression often used on internet forums "There's your problem right there".

·
Real men use a H-Pattern.
12,027 Posts
Like I say there is a massive overhaul in the works which will improve everything from Searching through to sharing media.
Media sharing will definitely bring people back. Other than the odd thread here and there, I pretty much only come here to look at projects section now as there is a lot of restoration, etc, going on these days.

·
Super Moderator
31,342 Posts
Here's one: RK Tuning. £200 p/a. Hadn't paid in over a year but his account remained active..
Ah, yes, that is right. And did you also factor in the annual service he performed on my car as well as other additional labour which was part of an agreement we made to dissipate the cost of sponsorship and to help me run my vehicle?
By my account, most years he "paid" more than £700. But that was a unique setup, agreed with Cem and the the new owners of the site years ago.

It's moot Miguel, you didn't like the fact you as a business weren't protected when you were called out on issues, you used the rate as an excuse but there was more to it than you simply begrudging the fee.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Ah, yes, that is right. And did you also factor in the annual service he performed on my car as well as other additional labour which was part of an agreement we made to dissipate the cost of sponsorship and to help me run my vehicle?
By my account, most years he "paid" more than £700. But that was a unique setup, agreed with Cem and the new owners of the site years ago.
And the others, who shall remain nameless (as they asked me to & I must respect that)?

Most probably you'd tell me they too had special arrangements. They know who they are and will know you are the one not being honest here. Perhaps they'll post and state what they paid, where they see truth can be of importance.

Anyways, doesn't matter to me any more. I've no interest in supporting this forum ever again, I finally lost interest when Newera was taken to task for some silicone sealant on a side step of an otherwise stunning 32 GT-R, which I regretted having sold, for a meagre profit (& worth double today..).
I could see in cases like this you thought it was justifiable to let damage occur to our hard work, for the sake of traffic to the forum. Shame on you. That's not right.

The community has been destroyed beyond recognition from what it used to be and I can't see it really ever being restored.

You think otherwise. Good luck with that... Time will tell, I suppose.

·
Super Moderator
31,342 Posts
And the others, who shall remain nameless (as they asked me to & I must respect that)?

Most probably you'd tell me they too had special arrangements. They know who they are and will know you are the one not being honest here.

Anyways, doesn't matter to me any more. I've no interest in supporting this forum ever again, I finally lost interest when Newera was taken to task for some silicone sealant on a side step of an otherwise stunning 32 GT-R. I could see in cases like this you thought it was justifiable to let damage occur to our hard work, for the sake of traffic to the forum. Shame on you.

The community has been destroyed beyond recognition from what it used to be and I can't see it really ever being restored.

You think otherwise. Good luck with that... Time will tell, I suppose.
lol, brilliant. You calling me dishonest, people in glass house my friend. A bit of silicone sealant is very much the tip of a much bigger iceberg over those 13 years.

I got so weary of these issues I actually considered denying you renewal. So please don't tell me otherwise. I too could pull evidence, but for YOUR sake, I won't.

The beauty of forums is how well they index content on Google, take a look for yourself

https://www.google.com/search?q=newera+gtr+forum&rlz=1C1CHFX_en-GBGB839GB840&oq=newera+gtr+forum&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.2648j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

This is why they continue to remain busy, as they are THE place to research a purchase.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
lol, brilliant. You calling me dishonest, people in glass house my friend. A bit of silicone sealant is very much the tip of a much bigger iceberg over those 13 years.

I got so weary of these issues I actually considered denying you renewal. So please don't tell me otherwise. I too could pull evidence, but for YOUR sake, I won't.

The beauty of forums is how well they index content on Google, take a look for yourself

https://www.google.com/search?q=newera+gtr+forum&rlz=1C1CHFX_en-GBGB839GB840&oq=newera+gtr+forum&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.2648j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

This is why they continue to remain busy, as they are THE place to research a purchase.
Oh, You're a piece of work, Mook. I suppose now you've sold your car, RK are paying £700 per year too? :chuckle:

I'd ask the other ex-traders to respond here, would be good if they did (they're decent hard working people who privately also found your attitude towards Newera unfair), but not wanting to rock the boat, I expect since they asked me not to mention them by name when I asked, they'll probably not want to also publically call you out for being a liar here - but they're able to see...

Like with any successful business, there are always unreasonable people we come across, and those who want to damage others through jealousy, etc.
But your attitude clearly shows malice...

I'm not going to list the MANY positive threads on this very forum from delighted customers over many years. Our cars spoke for themselves at events, etc. As we don't sell Skyline GT-R's from stock any more such threads are irrelevant now, really.

Truth is, you did me a favour so I thank you for that. When I learnt we'd been conned for all those years, compared to others, it planted a seed to an early lead into other business interests which I invested in and continue to develop, nothing to do with car sales to UK now, I might add.

Seems strange you didn't respond to the contents of my original post, which were well meaning and genuine reasons for the demise of traffic here, after all - that's what this thread was about, I thought.

Good luck with the forum. I mean no ill to it, I just don't share your vision is all.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Forums all over are suffering, Z Club and Nissansportz to name but two. I would say however, although the historic images are dwindling due to free online photo storage, users still have the ability to load straight into the thread and via tapatalk. An this has worked well for some of the other forums I visit. So moving forward content can be added to again give substance.

Bickering helps no one, it just makes the place unwelcoming and this can be measured by the amount of people leaving.

The main issue forums have is not the amount of new signups or visitors. I mean its great that this forum gets so many visitors but how long do they stay? do they sign up, and if so do they contribute? Active members drive the community after all. FB need to be used as a tool to bring in members to the forum not drive them away. Include pertinant topic links, links to newsletters and articles to lure them in.

I will say this though, I have a lot of experience in the 370z and I'm on the committee for Nissansportz. I wanted to buy a GTR, to which I have very little experience so I came here to see what was about, what to look out for, car history, general costings etc. Ultimately this forum gave me that information and with it I purchased a GTR from a fellow forum member (get it Thursday).

Anyways, doesn't matter to me any more. I've no interest in supporting this forum ever again.
I am new to the forum and unaware of the history so I apologise in advance if I'm out of place here, but I would say this Miguel.
There are many ways of supporting a forum, doesnt have to be financial in fact as a user ( i have paid the £15 for membership) recently purchasing a GTR I would say I would benefit more from knowledge and assistance from members who have had these cars and been through similar experiences.

·
Super Moderator
31,342 Posts
Forums all over are suffering, Z Club and Nissansportz to name but two. I would say however, although the historic images are dwindling due to free online photo storage, users still have the ability to load straight into the thread and via tapatalk. An this has worked well for some of the other forums I visit. So moving forward content can be added to again give substance.

Bickering helps no one, it just makes the place unwelcoming and this can be measured by the amount of people leaving.

The main issue forums have is not the amount of new signups or visitors. I mean its great that this forum gets so many visitors but how long do they stay? do they sign up, and if so do they contribute? Active members drive the community after all. FB need to be used as a tool to bring in members to the forum not drive them away. Include pertinant topic links, links to newsletters and articles to lure them in.

I will say this though, I have a lot of experience in the 370z and I'm on the committee for Nissansportz. I wanted to buy a GTR, to which I have very little experience so I came here to see what was about, what to look out for, car history, general costings etc. Ultimately this forum gave me that information and with it I purchased a GTR from a fellow forum member (get it Thursday).

I am new to the forum and unaware of the history so I apologise in advance if I'm out of place here, but I would say this Miguel.
There are many ways of supporting a forum, doesnt have to be financial in fact as a user ( i have paid the £15 for membership) recently purchasing a GTR I would say I would benefit more from knowledge and assistance from members who have had these cars and been through similar experiences.
98% of forum traffic never posts. Why? Because it's fiddly to sign up and sharing media isn't easy.
Fix those and you go a long way to reversing the trend. Forums are a technical environment, FB has it's place for a lot of the social stuff but forums remain THE place to really talk turkey.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
There are many ways of supporting a forum, doesn't have to be financial in fact as a user ( i have paid the £15 for membership) recently purchasing a GTR I would say I would benefit more from knowledge and assistance from members who have had these cars and been through similar experiences.
Thanks, Blobfish. Agreed. I also used to post long essays on this forum and shared my knowledge from close to 20 years in the business of supplying Skyline GT-R's and gave an insider's view to life in Japan too. I predicted what prices would do at least 5 years before they began to rise. Newera probably supplied more high quality Skyline GT-R's than any other importer over the years, as not least in addition to selling our own stock, we used to also supply many of the UK's import dealers before the financial crash came in the £ in 2008. I also work on these cars and am currently completing what will be one of the top examples in the U.K. in a few months. Not a lot I don't know of these cars, hence why I contributed.

I totally agree with you. Bickering is detrimental to sustaining a friendly community.

Anyways, I hope you got a nice Skyline. :smokin:

41 - 60 of 75 Posts