GTR Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,550 Posts
Miguel I am in no way being rude so don't be offended. You supplied some fabulous cars (I still keep looking at that Red Garage Saurus 32 you've got listed and have been sooooo tempted as I just can't find a 32 I like). But dealing with issues -every business has it's critics, it's how you manage them.

There is a massive market for good quality GTRs nowadays, and a lot of shall we say more mature owners willing to spend very good money on nice ones. As I've said before we fill every event we put up here, there are a lot of people reading. So if it were made more accessible it would be a game changer. Social media being a necessary evil nowadays!

·
Registered
181 Posts
98% of forum traffic never posts. Why? Because it's fiddly to sign up and sharing media isn't easy.
Fix those and you go a long way to reversing the trend. Forums are a technical environment, FB has it's place for a lot of the social stuff but forums remain THE place to really talk turkey.
Perhaps you can link user accounts to FB accounts? It doesn't have to be mandatory, but it would definitely allow for people to setup accounts easier, and it may assist in keeping people, who would otherwise be less civil, in line.

There's probably a way to link the forum, or at least a particular thread, to FB. I'm only using 'FB' as a generalized, external platform. You get the idea.

While I think it will be difficult to really revive the forum, I don't think it's infeasible. With a couple of clever, up-to-date tweaks, I think forum communication could climb rapidly. You said users visiting the forum isn't the problem; only posting to the forum. If you have the traffic, the comms part should be rather simple I would think.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
It would be interesting if you could see exactly which parts of the forum are generating the interest. This would help target what's hot and what's not, so to speak. Can the software generate heat maps?

I would also look to see how many pinned 'how to's' have lost the images and where possible try to recreate them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
It would be interesting if you could see exactly which parts of the forum are generating the interest. This would help target what's hot and what's not, so to speak. Can the software generate heat maps?
I'm not sure that would be of great use. The outdated format of the forum likely contributes to certain areas being less frequented, not the lack of interest. As others have stated, getting to the 'Technical' area of the skyline forum isn't very intuitive, and it isn't very obvious. Because of this, many people post or read through the 'General' area, which is where we are now.

Generating a heat map on general tendencies could lead to a false-positive if you're looking for a particular outcome.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Possibly. But if you have the analytics that can trace hit page and the route through the forum you can then structure better.

I'll be honest we're looking at changing the nissansportz forum for the very reason of allowing users to find stuff easier. Also using tapatalk makes the whole process even harder, which is why some forums block the use of it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
Possibly. But if you have the analytics that can trace hit page and the route through the forum you can then structure better.
Now that I can get behind, though a simple focus group could be more useful, even if only using current, forum members. I think a logical structure would go a long way, as well. Keeping a hierarchical structure, such as Skyline > General, Technical, etc., offers far more ease of use than the current setup which tries to segregate similar sections.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Miguel I am in no way being rude so don't be offended. You supplied some fabulous cars (I still keep looking at that Red Garage Saurus 32 you've got listed and have been sooooo tempted as I just can't find a 32 I like). But dealing with issues -every business has it's critics, it's how you manage them.

There is a massive market for good quality GTRs nowadays, and a lot of shall we say more mature owners willing to spend very good money on nice ones. As I've said before we fill every event we put up here, there are a lot of people reading. So if it were made more accessible it would be a game changer. Social media being a necessary evil nowadays!
Hi Toni,

The difficulty is, the truly good quality Skyline GT-R's that are in Japan are worth a lot of Yen these days.

You may remember an exquisite Silver one with 18" white TE37's we mentioned to you with a Tomei Fine Tune Engine, that looks like it's never been outdoors (zero fading to the interior, no dash bubble, etc) roughly a year ago. That car has never been advertised, but instead, carefully dry stored away under roof and cover.

Why? - Because we paid more for it than any other 32 yet and its value will continue increasing here in Japan.
The investment cost to import it to the UK after shipping, tax & VAT would make it prohibitive. So we haven't tried to sell it, but just quietly put it away. In the space of a year, it's appreciated around 30% in value. At any time we want it can be re-auctioned and the money + profit returned within 1-2 weeks. That's a lot easier than spending 3 months shipping, importing, etc. to the U.K. and risking the financial decline when getting paid in Sterling.

With the £'s value as it is now, it's not worth importing these high-value cars of this calibre any more (the expensive perfect ones, we're not interested in typical low-quality expensive semi-restoration projects - they're uphill battles in the making).

This explains why you don't see cars of the highest calibre coming to the U.K. & why there aren't any top-quality new imports on sale say on Pistonheads, or elsewhere regularly any more.
Having a presence & facilities here in Japan, for us we're better off keeping top quality Skyline GT-R's stored in Japan than selling them abroad, only to be renumerated with a currency that continues to slide in value, which when exchanged back into Yen after costs of import - likely wouldn't even buy the same quality of car again, as values continue to go up here.

We'll keep the red metallic R32 advertised on the market in the U.K. just as a way of leaving the "lights on" but where doesn't sell abroad, the price must continue to rise in line with values here in Japan, where it's also currently stored, as that one too is worth a lot more now than when it was bought for stock.

All the other interesting cars of the '90s are rising in value in Japan, meaning prices in the UK must rise, if they're to be viable for import now & in future. That you don't see many fresh imports, speaks the same reasoning.

With the very weak value of Sterling (due to Brexit & political uncertainties, mostly) it makes no long-term sense for any U.K. based importer to continue investing in high-quality Skyline GT-R's, RX-7,s, Supras, etc. specifically for the U.K. market. Sad for those there who'd want them but can't afford them now, but it's the truth we have no choice but to face here.

For the foreseeable future, prices of restoration parts and these cars will continue to rise long term.
Specifically - Nissan has a long history of Skyline GT-R price rises. They call them Nismo heritage parts now.

A very well known Italian classic car collector in Switzerland rightly said in a telephone conversation recently that he could see Japanese imports are undervalued in Europe and that he was looking to invest in these 90's cars; this is someone who has been in the classic car game for nearly 40 years; some of his cars are worth eye-watering sums.

I believe we can expect to see prices rise further and the best of these cars disappear in the hands of collectors, mostly here in Japan.
Australia is currently paying more than any other export market for these cars, possibly an influence from Group A racing history there, where the R32 Skyline GT-R rendered all other cars uncompetitive, in its path and a still relatively strong currency.

In Japan too, the R32 GT-R was hugely successfully Group A raced as we all know. With an ever-dwindling supply, the best of these cars will always fetch a stronger premium.

Look at prices on www.goo-net.com to see what top quality Skyline GT-R's fetch in Japan.

It's not a question of if, but when. There will come a day that top quality 32 GT-R's will be double in the U.K. what they are now. Look to the history of E30 M3 values as a guide. They used to be £10,000, around 10 years ago.

This is why I say the days of high-quality Skyline GT-R's coming to the U.K. in significant numbers are now over (& hence why it may present another difficulty toward attracting new forum member interest).

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
People are creatures of habit and in general have a short attention span/lack of time, to scroll through online stuff. They mostly like to see pictures, tag their buddies, post likes, etc.

The reason FB or Instagram is successful is that it offers so much convenience to follow lots of different entities and so many different subjects can be seen in a short space of time. Add to this - all an individual's online friends and what they're up to, and it's a much more enticing pot of daily entertainment.

To visit a forum is viewing just one entity, not lots. The majority of posts won't be of interest but can't be simply scrolled down, so most people won't bother with a forum, when they can check for posts on all their favoured car groups at a glance on FB, Instagram, etc. and also look to see how many "liked" their posts (The more likes, the more they'll check back to see how many likes they have - sad, but true).

Forums were successful before FB, Instagram, Youtube, etc. became widespread. Now the vast majority of people spend lots of their free time on social media. By contrast - Name one car forum whose post count is growing?

Add to that what we can expect will be a fast-growing virtual payment method on FB (recently released Libra) and antiquated forums have yet another uphill battle ahead. Not least FB can invest billions in developing their platform. Forums haven't even a fraction of the investment potential, nor technical expertise.

I agree, forums can contain a lot more technical information (often incomplete or incorrect, I might add), that's relatively easily searchable - but restoring lost pictures that were essential - will be very difficult now and with fewer people on a forum who are willing to spend time answering technical questions generously and in details, there's another sticking point.

I used to be on a thriving bike forum where the community was excellent. Everybody loved being on there and said so. No rudeness, lots of help. helped a friend start a carbon parts manufacturing business (by supplying discontinued parts for him to mould, etc) which is still going well with hundreds of carbon parts around the world now, for these discontinued bikes. Most of them sold via FB, since - I might add.

That forum died overnight when they updated the look of the forum and required everybody to use a new password containing a Capital, a Symbol a number, and small caps with a minimum of 9 characters. I soon lost/forgot the password I was given. I guess most others did the same.

Result? - Despite having paid a lifetime membership, I gave up; I could see all the traffic had quickly moved to a splinter of 4-5 different FB groups instead (with a lot of the forum members on all the different FB groups too) and consequently this and one other forum that was also thriving for this bike in years passed are both dead. The community spirit lives on, but we know each other's names and locations now. Still have friends who I made on there years ago, in regular contact with on messenger, etc.

...It's that easy to lose a forum's traffic. Sure, the technical info is still on the forum, but the traffic is all on FB and messenger, WhatsApp, etc.

Forums become a database of (dated) information unless the community is always fiercely guarded and knowledgeable enthusiasts are there regularly, willing to share and know that what people look for online, primarily is to create relationships ... Let's face it, the community spirit here wasn't so fiercely guarded and it clearly shows.

Can try to make this forum easier to use, but as some say - it'll be very difficult to improve current traffic significantly; especially where the majority of the core community spirit has long since left the room, sold their cars, lost interest, etc...

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
If we REALLY get down to the nitty-gritty, what enticed most made people to want to login to this forum daily and follow posts in the past years was to continue to enjoy the friendships we made with like-minded individuals on here and to contribute.
We'd meet regularly at Daikoku Futo and welcome new members, etc. Then we each got married, had kids, careers developed, etc. None of us would have the time or inclination to attend regular meetings these days. We each have other commitments.

An observation:

Only last week, I was having dinner with two, who I met some 15 years ago and when in the UK this summer, I'll be meeting another two old core members for dinner. Others have visited and stayed at our family home here in Japan sometimes.

Only a few of my old Skyline GT-R friends still have their cars, but none of us are on this forum regularly any more.
When we contact one another it's usually on messenger, WhatsApp, e-mail or phone. Never via PM here.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I like posting here a lot, but I think a lot of the owners here might have gotten older and are more busy with their kids and doing their wives.

I think the site just needs to be updated a little bit. It would be really cool if we had regions on here, like the US, South America, Japan, Europe regions so owners of that region can talk to one another and discuss stuff related to their area like meets and events. I also think there are some sub forums that are basically useless like the NISMO centre. I think if you combined all the classifieds into one subforum it would look like it's busy, and make fellow members more interested and believe that the site is bustling with conversations and deals for parts which could force more traffic.

Also, would be cool if you guys added a V35/V36/V37 into the mix. Would bring in some traffic from Infiniti owners since some of their forums are dying.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I wasn't interested in FB, however Santa Pod forced me onto it as it closed the Jap Drag Series web page and created a "group" on FB instead. I recognise it's a direction social media has gone in, given its very easy access, 24/7, through smart phones.

This Forum was in the past the go to place for almost any answer on Skylines/GTR's and to a lesser degree R35's when they came along.

The "classic" status development may rekindle some of that, however like Matty I remain to be convinced. I do agree that prices will continue to rise, particularly for GTR's as they are a very finite number and come 2020 (6 months!) the 33 will come on to the USA market.

The real loss will be all the information lost should this site disappear, which it will if it no longer fulfils its commercial obligations to the owners.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i wouldnt even know where to begin, definately agree forums (in general) seemed to have been more active in the past.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts