GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
catchtank! :eek: First time of emptying, after a few months and 2 or 3 track days. The yellow liquid at the bottom isn't flammable so I'm guessing it's water based....?

Anybody else done their's, does this look a similar type of gunk?

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure it would go well with a packet of crisps though Dino. :)

The grey 'head' is an oily emulsion so I presume that water vapour is present in the crankcase presumably as a result of combustion and blow by....?

There's about 1/2 litre in total so not too much. I've heard of several guys on here having to empty their catchtanks after a single day on track....

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I'd be very surprised to find any water vapour in the crankcase ventilator system ... Oil and water should never really meet in any engine.

Unless I'm a total gibbering muppet I'd say something doesnt look quite right there, check out that head gasket ... hopefully its nothing sinister (ie. Cracked head/Block). :(

I hope for your sake I'm completely wrong ... but I'd be quite concerned if I'd just got that out of a catchtank.

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She never uses a drop of water Dan so no worries there. As I understand it, and I'm sure somebody will confirm this or correct me (Mycroft, Mark, Gary..?), when running higher boost, you get piston blow by whereby some of the combustion gases get into the crankcase. By their nature, these gases will contain water vapour so I presume that when these enter the catchtank, they condense and get caught there. This would also explain how people get petrol in their catchtanks which I've heard has happened to at least two of the guys on here.

I'm interested to know what others have found in their tanks.

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
As I don't 'know' your car and Gary or Mark do (they may even have serviced it) I do tend to see this sort of thing as being Gary and Marks 'province, but as far as I'm concerned this looks OK, if the timescale and use is as you say, but I would 'monitor' the tank very closely for the next few months to be 'safe'.

What I will add is that there is some evidence there of driving a little too quickly before the car has fully warmed or driving the car on lots of short journeys (one or t'other). I say this because I remember reading somewhere that more than 10% water content in a catch tank is indicative of this, but I have no direct experience of Skyline engine tuning.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mycroft said:
What I will add is that there is some evidence there of driving a little too quickly before the car has fully warmed or driving the car on lots of short journeys (one or t'other).
Definitely not the former but the latter is correct of late.

Thanks.

Has nobody else ever emptied their catchtank?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Dirk was telling me about when he emptied his before Brands.

Said there was a layer of water, then oily type residues of various colours. kind of like a tequilla sunrise for a petrol head !!

I fitted the breather to mine the other day so there are no smells at all now.

It vents out the back so people behind can have the pleasure.

/Steve

·
Registered
805 Posts
Yeah... seen a mate drinking this, it's combination of guinness and lager, try it Peter if it tastes like engine oil and water, that'll be it :D

RonS

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
PeterE said:
...when running higher boost, you get piston blow by whereby some of the combustion gases get into the crankcase. By their nature, these gases will contain water vapour so I presume that when these enter the catchtank, they condense and get caught there...
Fair enough, I'm just surprised that its that volume of water, seems like it would take an amazing amount of vapour to create that sort of level of water. I would have thought the heat inside would bake any moisture out long before it gets into the catchtank ... Mycroft as always has the wisest words :D :p

Again, just seems a lot of water :rolleyes:

I stand corrected :D Let us know any developments though...

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dan0h said:
I would have thought the heat inside would bake any moisture out long before it gets into the catchtank ...
Where to? The vapour can't escape the engine, no where to go until the vapour exits the breather system, i.e. into the catchtank. Without a catchtank, it all gets sucked into the intake.

Ron,

Where you been hiding? I'll have a sip later, maybe bottle it for real petrol heads.... :)

Peter.

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Also when the weather is cold and the car left standing (typically overnight) condensation forms on the inside of the engine.

This will end up in the catch tank as well as any water vapour from blow-by.

This time of year it will really make a difference.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
PeterE said:
Where to? The vapour can't escape the engine, no where to go until the vapour exits the breather system, i.e. into the catchtank. Without a catchtank, it all gets sucked into the intake.
I'll get my coat :p Good point again... Ditto lightspeed...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine looked similar to that when i emptied it (had to replace parker globe which is behind catch can). Although mine was a little creamier and i didn't let it sit so i could separate. It did smell strongly of fuel.

Does your engine only vent to the catch can through the 2 breathers on the top or do you have bundy (ally tube) coming from the sump aswell?

Hope this helps :)

Lee

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SPOOLIN said:
Mine looked similar to that when i emptied it (had to replace parker globe which is behind catch can). Although mine was a little creamier and i didn't let it sit so i could separate. It did smell strongly of fuel.

Does your engine only vent to the catch can through the 2 breathers on the top or do you have bundy (ally tube) coming from the sump aswell?

Hope this helps :)

Lee
Thanks for that Lee.

No, mine only vents from the side of the cam cover. How does the bundy work and what's a parker globe?

Peter.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Mine is plumbed back to the system.
I will take a picture and post it tomorrow.

Parkers are what you referred to as sidelights in your indicator relocation mod.

As for bundy I have no idea...? Only one i can relate to is Bundaberg Rum.:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok *bundy* is what most ppl use when upgrading their fuel lines, Its alliminium tube/pipe that comes in most sizes eg. -8, -10, -12 and you flare the end so you can use Earls or Speedflow fittings. Its safer to run this under the car from the tank to the motor than to use braided line.

As for my catch can i didn't set it up (I bought the car fully modded) but it's a Top Secret item and i have the 2 breathers on top (RB25DET) joining into 1 going to the can plus i have a bundy tube coming from the top of the sump to the can.

Cheers Lee

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
jUST GOES TO SHOW

How good the GT-ART catch tank is doesent it peter you should have taken the picture a day later and you would have had 3 layers of s**t just imagine all that going in your combustion chamber ?
I drink it as well:)
Gary
GT-ART OFFICIALLY JAPANISE:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts