GTR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering about a free de-cat. On my old MR2 a popular free mod was to gut the cat by hammering out the element. This was an effective and popular mod.

I want to know if any owners here would recommend doing it to my R33 GTS-T?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I would not recommend it, if the car then fails MOT (as did ours) it'll cost you a fortune to recover the situation, it's only £55 plus postage for a budget decat or £75 for a corker for God's sake!

If that's not affordable you're driving the wrong car

Aitch

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If that's not affordable you're driving the wrong car
Who said it wasnt affordable? Im sure every one on here would jump at a free modification. Im just asking if it can work one one Japanese car, could it work on another?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Who said it wasnt affordable? Im sure every one on here would jump at a free modification. Im just asking if it can work one one Japanese car, could it work on another?
It may well work but a gutted cat pipe isnt going to have as smooth a gas flow then a dedicated de-cat pipe!!
Then what do you do when the MOT comes up, scrape the remains of the cat off the garage floor and stick it back in?:rolleyes: :p

It would be far easier just to buy a de-cat pipe.:)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
after "J" reg any car needs a cat as a requirement of MOT

how many of you have real MOT's is another matter though......i dont know many people with "rela" MOT's

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
33gts-t doesn't ned a cat for the MOT if it was first registered prior to 31/7/1995 M plate or older, there is no match on the emissions data base for the RB25DET, there is also nothing listed for the model

if an exact match can't be found it should be tested at idle and the limit is 3.5% Co

i would still say buy a decat though as the cat flanges are smaller diameter than the flanges on most decat pipes

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
i think its 1/8/93 L reg onwards, but yes most cars on j plates had cats, the GTR up to M plate shouldn't need one either as the only listing for a Skyline GTR is from 1999

·
Registered
386 Posts
God to think i could've spent hours smashing hell out of a piece of shit let alone skinned knuckles etc.
Regret spending 5 mins on ebay now!!:chuckle:
£25 too.:chuckle:
The decat i bought had clamps to hold on the heat shield if you wanted to keep the look of a cat.
Utter wast of time in my opinion and it's a shitty bodge.:runaway:
Nothing non JDM touched my car.:cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts