GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologise now to anyone French on here as it's not personal but a generalisation but :mad: :mad: arrrghhhhh !!

What is it about France that keeps them outside of EU legislation etc - bloody law unto themselves !!!

Opening up a couple of stores in France at the mo & basically transferring std current UK shopfit in terms of kit & layout. using a local french Project mnangement company, French contractors etc to play the game to ensure less problems & at the 13th hour get hit with a load of crap not previously even mentioned ie/ fire certification.

They will not accept british or even european certification that is higher than their own ie/ BS 1 compared to their M2 - even though the whole of Europe knows the BS code is higher !!

Has to be a french certificate, supplied by a french lab etc etc.

No other EU country does this :mad: law unto their bloody selves

Gave the contractors a real bollocking ie/ no smoking on site as it's a no smoking shopping centre - go outside & come back 10 mins later & the site foreman, project manager & approx 4 labourers are fagging it again - arrggg

·
Registered
552 Posts
Disney had to change a lot of thier rules to meet the french unions problems. It is actually called protectionisum. I quoted for a jop for the state owned car company where the specifications were for french equipment only and no alternatives where acceptable, so much for a common market!
Just thank your lucky star's you never had to ship livestock to france only to be pulled from your vehicle and stand with the police as the french farmers torch your lorry!:mad:

·
Registered
54 Posts
1 bar of soap to our 8 on average. 1 meter deep sewers if you couldn't tell by the smell. Great motorways though!! Oh ye they can't speak english either..

:smokin:

·
Hawaii-5-0
1,817 Posts
Counterpoint... job notwithstanding, if I could move to France tomorrow and live and work there, I would do. They have such a more positive and relaxed attitude to life it's unreal. Society is family and neighbour oriented, social unrest is virtually unheard of outside of the migrant ghettos in the Parisian/Marseille suburbs. Income and financial standing is simply not an issue for the vast majority of French families. Sounds good to me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
As the saying goes - love france, shame about the people. Still theres one saving grace for them in that they respect nice cars, equally they move out your way as oppossed the to twats over here that hog the Skyline lane in their shite rep mobiles, and no i'm not french

·
Premium Member
4,975 Posts
They like cars so much they always pull me to one side and give my car a jolly good going over before I go through the chunnel.

Really great missing my train while watching estates and 4x4's going through with their suspension creaking ...

·
Registered
627 Posts
Sorry but I would rather be French than English anyday.:mad:
Better country, better people.
I am glad they are strong and independant, it stops them becoming like us.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I'm not sure on the working environment but I know they're a really difficult bunch to sell to.

It's a great place for a holiday. I'm not keen on Paris but love the rest of the country. We're off to Bergerac again this year for a week. Great food and great wine at a fraction of the cost you'd pay here. Lovely people and usually fab weather. My French is poor but they like you to try. I can't wait.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have developed this theory....

We (Brits & French) are actually very much alike. Whereas we just got put upon thru history & learned to live with it, the French held a revolution and cut off the heads of the ones they didn't like.
The replacement rulers never forgot that and nor did the people, and when push comes to shove and the population come out to set fire to their tractors in protest, the government take notice.

When Mitterand refused to go to war in Iraq because they were selling gold taps worth E400m p/a he knew which side his head was stuck on, and stood up and said Non. He was branded "a cheese eating surrender monkey" but who is laughing now?

Essentially we are p1ssed at the French because they say & do what we wished we could do, and want to do, but are too down trodden to manage.

Whatever happened to the LionHeart? :rolleyes:

p.s Their motorways are brill, the trains work and the countryside is clean & tidy. And I hated the French until a few years ago when I actually went there ;)

·
Registered
510 Posts
ProjectBlue said:
I have developed this theory....

We (Brits & French) are actually very much alike. Whereas we just got put upon thru history & learned to live with it, the French held a revolution and cut off the heads of the ones they didn't like.
The replacement rulers never forgot that and nor did the people, and when push comes to shove and the population come out to set fire to their tractors in protest, the government take notice.

When Mitterand refused to go to war in Iraq because they were selling gold taps worth E400m p/a he knew which side his head was stuck on, and stood up and said Non. He was branded "a cheese eating surrender monkey" but who is laughing now?

Essentially we are p1ssed at the French because they say & do what we wished we could do, and want to do, but are too down trodden to manage.

Whatever happened to the LionHeart? :rolleyes:

p.s Their motorways are brill, the trains work and the countryside is clean & tidy. And I hated the French until a few years ago when I actually went there ;)
Spot on mate. couldnt have put it better. shame we dont have that attitude in this country, we have more to offer than frogs legs and snails :D

·
Registered
627 Posts
My only comment would be that it is only in the past twenty years the UK has declined in attitude and mentality.
I would have been proud to have been British twenty years back, we had a backbone, morals, concept of value and common sense (much like our european friends still have).

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:D lol

Have to admit their sense of national pride & protection of their economy takes some beating.

Also have to admit their average female puts ours in the shade in a big way :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts