GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone help !!!!
I have failed my e-test twice now (in Canada). They do a 2 speed idle test, for both carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons. My CO is fine, and my HC is fine on the high speed idle (2500rpm), but I have failed low speed HC both times..... I am not failing by much, the limit is 200 and I have scored 232 and 223 respectively. I am assuming that she is runnung too rich at idle. how can I temp. cut back the fuel ?? I thought about allowing the car to take in a small amount of air not thru the afms, but I'm unsure how much of an impact this will make. There is an aux. pipe on the intake hardpipe I could utilize for this.....
Very modified r32 by the way......Thanks....Kev.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
SAFC and just lean it out for the test?

Be the cheapest and easiest fix. Unless you have PowerFC or F-Con already.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car was remapped with a standard ecu in Japan, so I cannot regulate the fuel via SAFC, PFC, etc. Gonna have to do it 'old school', but how I'm not exactly sure.....

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
If the car was map with a standard ECU in Japan (so it is a EP ROM Chip) like Mine's etc...

Then you can add the SAFC-2 on it and modify the low position map. Just keep everything at 0% over 2500 RPM and the ECU won't even know if anything was there.

Once you pass the emission test, just take it back out.

I can't see what can go wrong the long as you are still running MAF meter.

But if I am wrong, someone say something before roadie blow his motor. :runaway:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Another trick is to make an air leak between the AFM and the compressor inlet, this way your engine gets more air then the ecu measures so its leaned out a bit. This will get the emissions down, exept the NOx. I did the same trick on a 200sx and it worked well. But it is not safe to drive under load as you're running lean. I had made a 7mm leak in the crank case ventilation hose by drilling a hole in a piece of aluminum tube wich is then reconneced to the suction pipe.

Since you're just failing the test a little a little hole would do I guess, and dont forget to remove the pipe / leak as soon as possible after the test.

Good luck,

fabian

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's along the lines I was thinking. The tube I am using was closed off with a plugged rubber hose. I have removed the hose, and covered it with cloth so it is not sucking in dirty air. It is kinda on the large size (1 1/2) inch diameter, but the cloth seems to restrict the air enough to keep her running okay. No load and no above 3000rpm....
There is another smaller pipe I could use 10mm diameter, but I'm not sure that will suffice....
Oh' well, I'll take a shot and see how it goes.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts