GTR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone come from a 997 turbo, to the GT-R ?.Really interested in your opinions comparing the two. Ive read most of the comparison tests in the press, but looking for real world comparisons, regards, SIMON.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Hi Simon,

I've come from a 996TT X50 to a GTR. Although not specifically a 997TT, the 996TT X50 is probably not too disimilar from the 997TT in terms of performance, comfort, etc.

I'm still getting used to the GTR, but I would say that they feel quite different.

In terms of performance, the GTR feels quicker in the lower gears to 100, but I would say that the X50 seemed stronger from 100 onwards (where legally permitted of course). The gearbox in the GTR is addictive. I find myself unneccesarily braking and changing down for bends just for the fun of it - potentially not the smoothest or quickest driving, but certainly puts a grin on your face :p

On the motorway and long distances the GTR is by far the more pleasurable experience. I drove to the south of France this year in the GTR, and to Italy in the X50 last year. On these sort of distances, the GTR is quieter, more comfortable, and generally less tiring. I was amazed how 4 hour stints felt like more an hour and a half. That said, the X50 wins in the fuel economy stakes, I was getting approx 5mpg more on long motorway cruises at similar speeds in the X50 than the GTR.

On the topic of long distances, the ability to get all the luggage in the boot of the GTR compared to having to distribute luggage between the front boot and back seats of the X50 was a welcome novelty.

In terms of practicality, the GTR gets a lot of attention and thus makes me nervous to leave it parked in common areas. Maybe it was because I had owned the X50 for 3 years, but I was happy to leave it most places without undue concern.

Porsche Extended Warranty aside, I think the GTR will be the more expensive to run over the next 3 years, in terms of servicing and tyres. Insurance premium doesn't seem to be that different, in fact the GTR is a little cheaper this year.

In summary - I would own both cars again, and the decision between a new GTR and a new 997TT (price and residuals aside) would be a difficult one for me. They both have their pro's and con's, and are both fantastic cars in different ways.

This probably doesn't help you decide over one car or the other :runaway: - but I would be interested in your opinion if/when you test drive the GTR.

Good luck.

Ben.

·
Registered
52 Posts
What do you mean when you say 996TT/997TT does the TT stand for Twin Turbo ? I don't know what an X50 is either,sorry never owned a 911 myself,but I usually know quite a lot about cars/models etc. I have a new GTR on order at the mo,I do love the 997 shape turbo but I couldn't afford a new one and I wanted a new car this time so decision was made for me.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I've not owned a 997 Turbo but considered one when looking at the GTR. The main advantages I saw with the 997 Turbo was ride comfort, service intervals, weight, cooling and reliable gearboxes. The GTR won on speed of gearchange, practicality, cheaper to tune and the suspension/weight distribution/stability/chassis.

The used 997 turbo I was considering was nearly out of its first year of extended warranty and had considerable bills approaching. The GTR new was a relative bargain, but may not be as reliable and more costly to run.

I really like tuning/hacking ECUs, and the GTR is much more accessible in that respect.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
What do you mean when you say 996TT/997TT does the TT stand for Twin Turbo ? I don't know what an X50 is either,sorry never owned a 911 myself,but I usually know quite a lot about cars/models etc. I have a new GTR on order at the mo,I do love the 997 shape turbo but I couldn't afford a new one and I wanted a new car this time so decision was made for me.

Hi,

996TT is an abbreviation for the 996 Turbo (TT standing for twin turbo as you said). 997TT likewise, the 997 Turbo.

The X50 was a factory fitted "Power Kit" option taking the 996 Turbo from 420 to 450 BHP. It basically included larger turbos, different intercoolers, slightly higher boost, and an uprated clutch. The later 996 'Turbo S' was basically a combination of the X50 and carbon ceramic brakes added as standard.

Cheers,

Ben.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
The main advantages I saw with the 997 Turbo was ride comfort, service intervals, weight, cooling and reliable gearboxes.
Porsche gearboxes are not infallible unfortunately :eek:

I had my 996TT X50 gearbox rebuilt under warranty for popping out of second gear on overrun. This is a known problem on the 966TT / GT2 gearboxes.

Credit to Porsche though, they recognised the problem without any quibble, gave me a brand new Cayenne for the duration of the rebuild, and generally provided excellent customer service.

Ben.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've just come from a 997 C4S with the PDK gearbox (also owned a 997 Turbo for a couple of weeks when there were 1st launched) Which I don't think is that far behind in the performance stakes (0-62 in 4.3 sec with sport chrono)
Fuel economy on a run I was getting about 10 mpg more than the GT-R about 8 mpg overall, ride slightly better than the GT-R The GT-R attracts far more attention but it seems to be respect rather than the envy that I think a Porsche attracts Both Great Cars to own and Drive but a New Turbo or Approved used is going to take a lot more initial outlay (My Turbo's List was £106K & the C4S was £82K speced up) Although I think the Running cost will be less than a GT-R both Cars were used as my Daily Driver and quite easy to live with

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Simon,

I've come from a 996TT X50 to a GTR. Although not specifically a 997TT, the 996TT X50 is probably not too disimilar from the 997TT in terms of performance, comfort, etc.

I'm still getting used to the GTR, but I would say that they feel quite different.

In terms of performance, the GTR feels quicker in the lower gears to 100, but I would say that the X50 seemed stronger from 100 onwards (where legally permitted of course). The gearbox in the GTR is addictive. I find myself unneccesarily braking and changing down for bends just for the fun of it - potentially not the smoothest or quickest driving, but certainly puts a grin on your face :p

On the motorway and long distances the GTR is by far the more pleasurable experience. I drove to the south of France this year in the GTR, and to Italy in the X50 last year. On these sort of distances, the GTR is quieter, more comfortable, and generally less tiring. I was amazed how 4 hour stints felt like more an hour and a half. That said, the X50 wins in the fuel economy stakes, I was getting approx 5mpg more on long motorway cruises at similar speeds in the X50 than the GTR.

On the topic of long distances, the ability to get all the luggage in the boot of the GTR compared to having to distribute luggage between the front boot and back seats of the X50 was a welcome novelty.

In terms of practicality, the GTR gets a lot of attention and thus makes me nervous to leave it parked in common areas. Maybe it was because I had owned the X50 for 3 years, but I was happy to leave it most places without undue concern.

Porsche Extended Warranty aside, I think the GTR will be the more expensive to run over the next 3 years, in terms of servicing and tyres. Insurance premium doesn't seem to be that different, in fact the GTR is a little cheaper this year.

In summary - I would own both cars again, and the decision between a new GTR and a new 997TT (price and residuals aside) would be a difficult one for me. They both have their pro's and con's, and are both fantastic cars in different ways.

This probably doesn't help you decide over one car or the other :runaway: - but I would be interested in your opinion if/when you test drive the GTR.

Good luck.

Ben.
Ben,
Thanks for your extensive reply. Thanks to the others also.I did own a new 997 Turbo, last year, but bailed out very soon, when i could see prices going the wrong way quickly. I loved the performance of the Porsche very much, it was just what i wanted. I very nearly put a deposit down for the GT-R, 12months ago, but just deceided to wait and see what happened with them. At this point i have not driven the GT-R yet, and await my appointment with destiny eagerly. I have an EVO X SST at the moment, which i secretly really enjoy, especially the gearbox, and i quite like the idea of people thinking the SST is a poor relation in the Evo line up, because it really is quite good.I looked at another 997 turbo yesterday, which was an 07 car, with full spec, including ceramics, and it was £75k, quite a bit for a 2 year old car. I notice GT-R prices are just starting to slip a little, and i think £50 k would see a very low mileage car on the drive. I will have to drive the GT-R very soon, and make my choice, but i wanted to ask people who have driven both 997 turbo, and GT-R extensively, for their opinions, regards, SIMON.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
I have had a 996TT, 997 GT3, 997 GT2 and 997TT and get my GTR in about a week's time...the GTR for me is the best bits of the above cars rolled into one perfect form...the 996TT was good but showing its age when I had one, the 997 GT3 was too hard for the road, the 997TT lacked soul, and the 997GT2 was simply too fast for the road, especially in the wet - however it is an awesome car.

For me the gearbox, looks, everyday useability, performance of the GTR make it a far better proposition than a 997TT...it will also not lose as much money as the Porsches having started at a lower list price!

·
Registered
52 Posts
(Thanks Ben for the 911 Turbo heads up.)
I think another thing you may want to consider between the 997turbo/GTR purchase is exclusivity.Don't know if this is important to you,but personally i would much rather have a rarer road car than a more popularly seen one.I'm not suggesting that 997Turbos are ten a penny,but since I have ordered my GTR approx 14 months ago,I have seen only three new GTR's on the road (and I hardly think you could miss one) and one of these was on my return from my HPC so kinda doesn't count.Finally I think that Henry has said most of what you could need to know/hear with regard to the 911's side of debate.Let's face it either way this is not the worst predicament to have to make is it ?:clap: Good luck with the decision.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
(Thanks Ben for the 911 Turbo heads up.)
I think another thing you may want to consider between the 997turbo/GTR purchase is exclusivity.Don't know if this is important to you,but personally i would much rather have a rarer road car than a more popularly seen one.I'm not suggesting that 997Turbos are ten a penny,but since I have ordered my GTR approx 14 months ago,I have seen only three new GTR's on the road (and I hardly think you could miss one) and one of these was on my return from my HPC so kinda doesn't count.Finally I think that Henry has said most of what you could need to know/hear with regard to the 911's side of debate.Let's face it either way this is not the worst predicament to have to make is it ?:clap: Good luck with the decision.
Very good point regarding exclusivity...to many a 911 whatever the model is just a 911...whereas a GTR is at the moment a one model beast (ie before Spec V etc arrive) and is in much fewer numbers and therefore that much more special!

·
Registered
10 Posts
997TT to GTR (SatNav model)

As a previous poster said what a great dilemma for you!

I have been lucky enough to own a 997 Carrera, 997 Carrera S with factory power upgrade in addition to a 997TT Coupe and in September took delivery of a GTR.

Apologies to the previous poster but in no way is a Carrera S (4 or otherwise) an equitable sparring partner for the GTR - for the purpose of this post I shall be comparing the 997TT and GTR.

For me the GTR redefines the performance car engineering and driving experience - the braking, gearbox, power delivery and cornering capabilities combine to provide a driving experience that is unrivaled (I say this having been lucky enough to some quite exotic machinery). It is good looking in an unconventional (read Japanese!) way and its appeal appears to be universal - I have had nothing but positive comments from all but a small number badge bigots.

Financially the car is a no brainer - the depreciation on a 997TT over 3 years is what the GTR costs!

I have a Granturismo S which I was going to keep but I love the GTR so much that I am considering selling now.

If you want to discuss PM me for a mobile number.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As a previous poster said what a great dilemma for you!

I have been lucky enough to own a 997 Carrera, 997 Carrera S with factory power upgrade in addition to a 997TT Coupe and in September took delivery of a GTR.

Apologies to the previous poster but in no way is a Carrera S (4 or otherwise) an equitable sparring partner for the GTR - for the purpose of this post I shall be comparing the 997TT and GTR.

For me the GTR redefines the performance car engineering and driving experience - the braking, gearbox, power delivery and cornering capabilities combine to provide a driving experience that is unrivaled (I say this having been lucky enough to some quite exotic machinery). It is good looking in an unconventional (read Japanese!) way and its appeal appears to be universal - I have had nothing but positive comments from all but a small number badge bigots.

Financially the car is a no brainer - the depreciation on a 997TT over 3 years is what the GTR costs!

I have a Granturismo S which I was going to keep but I love the GTR so much that I am considering selling now.

If you want to discuss PM me for a mobile number.
Hi Adam,
Thanks for the reply,
Very nearly pulled the trigger today, with a 300 mile premium edition, in DMG. My trouble is, i havent actually driven a GT-R yet, so i will have to pull my finger out,and just do it. Been reading a lot about the PDK Turbo, thats coming, but the spec of the car, makes it about double the price i would pay for the GT-R, so a no brainer for sure. Is the rear seat access a problem in the GT-R, or no moreso then in the Porsche, thanks, regards, SIMON.

·
Registered
10 Posts
997TT vs GTR rear seat access

Hi Simon

I am only an occasional user of rear seats but I would estimate the GTR has 20-30% more room than the 997TT assuming you put the front seats forward of course which is the case with both cars.

One more thing, I would recommend a SatNav car - worth the extra money in my opinion.

Best of luck with whatever you end up with!

Adam

·
Registered
300 Posts
For back seats, no more than 1m70 max !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts