GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front brakes are on the min thickness. 72 months service due so thinking of getting it done at the same time? Any particular rotors/pads combination you guys recommend. They are all very pricey so while I am paying this much won't mind paying a bit extra for an upgrade if there is one you guys recommend. pls advise.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Btw, R35 brakes are the biggest rip off going, especially discs, so you won't find anything priced with a normal fair profit margin, but you probably already know that.

Occasionaly NHPC's sell off stock at a good price on ebay auctions, I managed to get a set of new stock discs for 400 quid (still a rip off but half the normal rip off).

Ps. it's not that I'm tight, I just despise blatent rip offs.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Btw, R35 brakes are the biggest rip off going, especially discs, so you won't find anything priced with a normal fair profit margin, but you probably already know that.

Occasionaly NHPC's sell off stock at a good price on ebay auctions, I managed to get a set of new stock discs for 400 quid (still a rip off but half the normal rip off).

Ps. it's not that I'm tight, I just despise blatent rip offs.
Completely agree, just crazy the prices they try and charge

·
Premium Member
5,863 Posts
Am surprised no company has brought out, some decent priced brake disks for the R35 yet. or even the tuners.. As if good, everyone would be buying them and they would clean up! gap in the market??

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Am surprised no company has brought out, some decent priced brake disks for the R35 yet. or even the tuners.. As if good, everyone would be buying them and they would clean up! gap in the market??
They are also joining the same club, oem discs are worth their weight in silver. Alcon or AP charges are almost half that price, that's as much as you can get.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What do you call min thickness? If they're not cracked to **** they are probably fine.
They aren't cracked yet, but Sly said in last years service it won't last long, may be a couple of thousand miles which has been done now.

I don't want to replace it if there is any life left. I would rather spend that money on stage 1. :D

·
Premium Member
5,891 Posts
I am always suspicious when someone says there are a couple of thousand miles left in a pair of disks, if they are that close the the edge then they are ready to be changed.

is there an obvious lip around the edge of the disc, is there very obvious cracking around the vents? if not they are probably fine.

get a micro meter on them (can be done without taking the wheels off) and get a measurement to see what the actual thickness is, compare to what is in the book and make a replacement decision on the back of that information.

Simon

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am always suspicious when someone says there are a couple of thousand miles left in a pair of disks, if they are that close the the edge then they are ready to be changed.

is there an obvious lip around the edge of the disc, is there very obvious cracking around the vents? if not they are probably fine.

get a micro meter on them (can be done without taking the wheels off) and get a measurement to see what the actual thickness is, compare to what is in the book and make a replacement decision on the back of that information.

Simon
There is a visible lip but no cracks yet.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
They aren't cracked yet, but Sly said in last years service it won't last long, may be a couple of thousand miles which has been done now.

I don't want to replace it if there is any life left. I would rather spend that money on stage 1. :D
You would be well placed to do what Sly has suggested, his approach and reputation is NOT to recommend work unless there is a real need for it.

David

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
There is a visible lip but no cracks yet.
Yep, 09/10 cars have 380 x 34 discs, 11+ have 390 x 32.8mm, rear discs are the same on all models.

If they have no cracks around the cross drilled holes they've had an easy life.

A lip is normal, I wouldn't be changing them if they aren't cracked, garages have to advise, but in reality they will perform fine even if slightly under text book minimum thickness.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm having AP grooved discs and Ferrodo DS2500 pads installed tomorrow at ACspeedtech. Seem to get decent feedback on here and were recommended to me by AC also. I can report back once they're bedded in if you like?

·
Premium Member
5,891 Posts
to be fair for the kind of use describe any replacements will be fine - even standard, so then it is kind of just which is the cheapest option.

I went with Alcon discs and cosworth pads - my use is pretty much the same as the OP

1 - 20 of 20 Posts