GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Argggg

Noticed about 4 weeks ago that one of my front tyres was throwing up a "low pressure visit dealer" warning.. it has dropped to around 22/23 cold. As I was 2 weeks away from my service I just left it and used my other car, drove it for its service (the pressure has dried to about 20/21 by then) and they said that the tyre wasn't on the rim properly (or something to that effect) and that it was now ok.. This was about 12 days ago. Car gets used as a daily drive of 20+ miles a day and I've done a 200mile trip also on one of the days. Only day I didnt use it seas yesterday

Got up this morning and I now have the same issue.. back down to 22/23.. I'm guessing its either a Very slow puncture (although I can see anything in the tyre) or the tyre isn't on the rim properly again…

Any other ideas? I have MPSS and stock alloys

I will be taking the car to my local tyre place at lunch to get their thoughts

Cheers

·
Registered
692 Posts
my local tyre garage owner has GTR i had same problem he said could be leaky TPMS also said the wheels are prone to not seal very well if they have had the slightest of knocks mine was TMPS leaky stem.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Could also be the valves - Sly has had a few issues with mine leaking. Not the first time I have heard about tyres not sealing properly.

Most of the time, my issue is a puncture :(

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I've had both problems, both with the same symptoms.
First time, offside rear MPSS. Problem was a TPMS sensor leak. Local tyre place whipped the tyre off, serviced the TPMS sensor with a new rubber surround/grommet and all was good with the world.

Second time, nearside rear. Tyres had been swapped to new wheels, along with the TPMS (serviced as per previous) and all was good, until a week later, pressure dropped 10psi in 7 days. Was the valve core, so a quick trip to local tyre place resulted in a 30s freebie fix.

Been fine since.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys i guess only way to rule out tpms is to buy a new kit.. maybe ill order one just incase

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've got exactly the same issue on my front left wheel. It's been losing pressure gradually since I had the wheels refurbished last year. I've asked Nissan to look at it when it goes in for its service in 2 weeks, but I was assuming it was more than likely to be down to damage to the sensor.

·
Registered
176 Posts
It is recommended that you replace the tyre valves every time you change tyres. The valve stems are prone to corrosion. Their not the easiest items to get hold of however.

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
Shall I ???

Put the car back on Run Flats - sorted !!

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
Oui, behave, all sorted now and Gary and I nearly popped in to see you on Sat ..............................

Anyway what you doing on the "dark side" ?

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Just reminding myself how good the RB is.

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
LOL yep good ol motor !

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
Well seeing as they both need air I would stay with the far superior and comfortable MPSS ;)

You mean squidgy horrible FRENCH tyre for a Jap car LOL :squintdan

Ask Mr Andy Middlehurst who knows a thing or two about GTR's (he used to race them) and he says that he, and I think I would regard him as something of a GTR expert, that the GTR was designed to run on RUN flat tyres and he wouldn’t use anything else on car especially with the sort of grip and tyre shredding ability of the GTR! :flame::bowdown1:

Your choice of course but I know where I am staying !!! :chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

·
Registered
924 Posts
Getting back on topic!!

I had all 4 TPMS sensors leaking after having the wheels Powder coated.

All 4 sensors were nearly new.(replaced under warranty)

Soapy water test showed leaks around the base. I was worried about damaging the new shiny black wheels taking the tyres off so thought I would do a quick DIY fix and see if it worked.

Jacked up one side of the car and let the air completely out of the tyres. Removed the valve stem and held the centre stem with pliers whilst squeezing some clear silicone into the opening.

Re assembled and re-pressurized, repeated on other side.

Result, 12 months on and they hold pressure perfectly.

Satan

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
LOL Satan

Getting back on track - fit the correct tyre for the car and you will not have any problems with tyre and wheels or TPMS's !

I must be on about my 8th set of Bridgestones and have NEVER experienced any of the issue you lot with the MPSS have !

Just an observation :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts