GTR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, looking into fuel cells (ATL,JAZ,RCI etc) and am having a bit of a hard time deciding on what capacity of cell I would need. Basically the car will be used for trackdays and possibly a season in T/A.

With that in mind I'm looking to have something thats not too big but not too small either hence my dilemma. I thought a 10 Gallon (37L) cell would be enough based on single figure fuel economy. Car is R32GTR and will ultimately run 600-650HP.
Anyone out there who races/sprints etc, can you tell me what size cell you run please...

TT

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Bear in mind the stock tank keeps the fuel weight low and within the wheelbase. Quite where you would put a none custom fuel cell to better that I don't know. Just plonked in the boot raises the C of G and moves the weight as well as up, back behind the rear wheels. I'd say a minimum of 12 gallons. What does the stock tank hold? I grabbed an extra 6 litres with my swirl pot.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bear in mind the stock tank keeps the fuel weight low and within the wheelbase. Quite where you would put a none custom fuel cell to better that I don't know. Just plonked in the boot raises the C of G and moves the weight as well as up, back behind the rear wheels. I'd say a minimum of 12 gallons. What does the stock tank hold? I grabbed an extra 6 litres with my swirl pot.
I was thinking along the lines of cutting out the boot floor in order to mount it lower and more in the stock(ish) position. I havent decided completely on a cell yet as my PM to you earlier demonstrates :D. I'm looking at options at the moment and would just like to explore all the possibilities WRT fuel storage.

TT

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Why not keep the stock tank and just go with a good surge tank setup?

Alot less work, better COG and not alot of weight.

Rob

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Not because I want you to buy a tank top, but seriously, the moulded stock tank is not only very light, and space efficient, but also, and indeed the main thing is it keeps a LOT of fuel weight low and within the wheelbase, which is a HUGE benefit to polar moment of inertia and the minimising of body roll. If you are thinking of using the car in a competitive environment you are just killing potential lap time by having something in the boot, even low down. The reason you see a lot of serious race saloons with fuel cells is simply because the regulations say they must have a safety fuel cell. They'd much rather have the plastic fuel tank moulded about the diff, rear floor wells, and set well within the wheel base if they could!

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not because I want you to buy a tank top, but seriously, the moulded stock tank is not only very light, and space efficient, but also, and indeed the main thing is it keeps a LOT of fuel weight low and within the wheelbase, which is a HUGE benefit to polar moment of inertia and the minimising of body roll. If you are thinking of using the car in a competitive environment you are just killing potential lap time by having something in the boot, even low down. The reason you see a lot of serious race saloons with fuel cells is simply because the regulations say they must have a safety fuel cell. They'd much rather have the plastic fuel tank moulded about the diff, rear floor wells, and set well within the wheel base if they could!
Fair point well made Chris....As I say I'm just exploring options but your arguement is compelling for sticking with stock setup.

TT

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
the main thing is it keeps a LOT of fuel weight low and within the wheelbase.
The 32's tank isn't within the wheelbase as it is in the 33/34 Chris, its actually stuck underneath the right hand side of the boot floor behind the subframe. Bit of a pain as its quite deep and makes it tricky if you want to have a proper diffuser.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I would keep the stock tank unless regulations state FIA spec is a must. Its in the right place already which it wont ever be in the trunk.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts