GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this may prove a little controversial, but now there a fair number of R35s on the UK roads, what do the owners experience tell us is the best fuel??

Some say Shell "V" Power, others BP Ultimate and others Tesco.!!

What do you consider is best and why?????:flame:

If an administrator picks up on this thread please transfer to a poll. Thanks

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
V plus for me.

Have used BP Ultimate as a fallback.

Would use Tesco 99 and BP 102 (scooby snacks!)

·
Registered
167 Posts
BP 102

Sadly waiting on delivery of mine (Come on october) .. however my current M3 E92 runs beautifully on Tesco 99 - also take a look at some of the tuners (Thorney Motorsport) who spent alot of time checking different fuels on turbo'd and non turbo cars, on a rolling road and general feel, where tesco came out tops, then Shell, then BP Ultimate.

However running a car on 102 was indeed 'rocket fuel' .. I have a good friend who ran his 997 GT3 on the stuff for a track day @ silverstone. Full tank cost the wrong side of £150 .. and lasted all of 2 hours at most :runaway:

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
check this out... can u believe BP Ultimate sponsors three teams in the world this year

1. WRC
2. Dakar
3. GTC :p

BP Ultimate UK - Motorsports

BTW we use and love 102

But if you want to stop to pub arguements.... use an accessPORT - stock style map and datalog knock on the top three fuel brands

Believe Rich GT is on the case of doing this and will post up graphs :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
102 aint cheap.....

V-power or tesco 99..... and a cobb from ben
What he said.

The 99 RON maps Ben supplies are devastating!

And unlike other methods of remapping, if you do run out of 99 RON fuel and can only get 97 or 95, you can change maps yourself within minutes!

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
BPU102 isn't cheapo, but is compared to buying a drum of petrochem or sunoco/cool blue 102 ron race fuel

Its very special, made in small amounts. Smells like perfume :)

BPU 102 stations are located close to major racetracks

·
Registered
669 Posts
OK more data to follow. Not exhaustive by any means but my advice is to sell Tesco Shares. ;)

Tank was on empty showing 23 miles left of Shell VPower 99, so trogged down to the local Teco logging data as I went for some Tesco 99.

Put in 30 Litres and trogged back logging data along the way like you do.

Have just analyzed the data and on the way out got almost identical results to those shown in the AP thread. Rich-GT Stage 2 99RON RPM-2 map. A single -307 knock event in 4th gear.

Have just had a look at the data for Tesco 99, multiple knock events through 3rd, 4th & 5th never recovering back to zero. OK the highest number recorded is -536 so nothing serious from a damage point of view, but much more knock. :mad:

So wish I had put less fuel in, shall be going back to VPower ASAP. BP102 test to follow, but need to burn off the Tesco stuff first.

Rich

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I have only used Tesco 99 in the GTR, but compared it and V-power on the Evo with knock logging and chose the Tesco.

I can often get a completely clean run through a gear with 0 knock without the two degrees retarded. Differences might be due to cooler temperatures, no sitting in traffic to heatsoak the intercoolers, and often my fast driving is at cooler times of the day. Also cars are all slightly different as are different tanks of fuel, hence the need for knock control.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
it could be "old" tesco 99 I'm sure less people buy super from tesco than shell

I've always had good knock characistics in my R33 from tesco 99

R

·
Registered
669 Posts
Like I said this is not scientific, just a one off test in one car.

So yes it could be an old or a duff batch, Came from Brackley Tesco opposite the Brawn GP HQ. Either way it knocks more than VPower in my car Today. :mad:

This was a direct comparison with the last of the VPower in the tank, results which agreed with a test I did a few days ago, and a test I then did after driving a few miles back from Tesco.

I suspect people will be convinced for one reason or another that one is better, or that there is nothing to choose? I just have a little bit of data that says VPower is better so will be going back to it.;)

Rich

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Give it what it likes, little to choose either way it seems.

The ethanol content is nice, but Greenergy have used it with a lower octane base fuel. So it is like polishing a turd with a very good polish?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I have no idea what most of this thread is referring to in terms of knock etc. But i was under the impression that modern engines adapted to whatever was put it in them, albeit not straight away? So wouldn't you have to do a few tanks of each in a row to get a good set of data?

And for those of us with standard maps, does it really matter?

If someone could point me in the direction of some light reading (i can't imagine there will be any!), i'll stop asking stupid questions :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts