GTR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone shed some light on how many fuelpumps ill need to feed my rb26 with 2835s aiming over the 600whp mark all other areas are covered, ive never had to beef up a fuel system like this before so its new to me i already have an intank hks unit which i doubt will be up to the job,could i use this intank pump to feed 2 external pumps and a swirl pot or will i ditch it ....

basicly anyone running similar power or more could you let me know what kind of setup your running....by the way who sells all that braided hoseing i see on soo many big power cars
cheers

·
Registered
646 Posts
Keep the HKS Pump as a lifter pump.
Lift to a Surge Tank.
Plumb in 2 x Bosch 044 Large External Fuel Pumps.
Two Inline Large Filters (Aeromotive) after each 044.
-8 Fuel Supply Lines to Front of Car, T to Sard TYPE RJ Fuel Pressure Regulator for example, then to rail, or maybe 2 Fuel Pressure Regulators on Each Supply Line?
Recommend also fitting a voltage booster to the fuel pumps.
Large Lines can be bought all over the internet, just google for braided -8 fuel line or similar.
Also uprate fuel return line that will either go to fuel tank or surge tank.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Or single Aeromotive A1000 pump instead of 2x044's. I prefer 1 large pump, incase one of the 044's fail = blown engine.

·
Registered
646 Posts
One Large Pump vs Twin Large-ish Pumps.

If One 044 Pump can fail... a single A1000 Pump can fail too = blown engine all the same.

More things to go wrong obviously with more components, but you don't have to run two pumps very hard at all (in this case actually 3), to make the target pressure.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Run a fuel pressure gauge with external warning trigger. You can then set it to either a buzzer, light, or if you are really tricky ignition kill switch (although that may not be the best thing for a road driven car).

2x044s are probably going to be overkill. I'd recommend two slightly smaller pumps - 979s or 910s.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
One Large Pump vs Twin Large-ish Pumps.

If One 044 Pump can fail... a single A1000 Pump can fail too = blown engine all the same.

More things to go wrong obviously with more components, but you don't have to run two pumps very hard at all (in this case actually 3), to make the target pressure.
I thought the idea of one pump vs two pump fail is:

If one pump fail, your engine get no fuels and die. No fuel = No det.

If one of two pump fails, your engine don't get enough fuel pressure, run lean, det, and blow....

Anyone have any idea how do you HARD ware a fuel pump to get it 13.5V (or more voltage) so it can pump more?

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
one pump is definitely better in theory - if it dies, it's no more than a fuel cut to the engine, while sending half the fuel is definitely a recipe for disaster, no two ways about it.

However, when a pump dies, does it completely conk out? Or can they die a slow death, squeezing out bits of fuel for several seconds before giving up the ghost? If the latter, then it may not really make any difference, as one pump suddenly giving drastically reduced output is just as bad as one of a pair of pumps failing.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
True
Although there are many reasons why a pump can fail.
Could be an electrical problem. Failed relay, or burnt out motor, which could fail fast or even not have started running when you turned on the ignition. You would not know only one pump was working until the high pressure/flow was required.

These issues are rare, but the potential damage is costly. Some of these risks would not exist on a single pump system.
--------------------------------------------------------
A fuel pressure warning system is absolutely useless, it won't work at all on a rising pressure system referenced to manifold pressure, which is the most common system. This is because you can have the base (for example 3bar) pressure drop down to <2.5 on WOT at low revs (vacuum). 2.5bar when you should be giving out say 4.7 on high boost will give a engine meltdown before the alarm goes off.
Even on a static high pressure system, it may only take a few firing events to damage the engine, far too quick to pick up a problem and react.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
one pump is definitely better in theory - if it dies, it's no more than a fuel cut to the engine, while sending half the fuel is definitely a recipe for disaster, no two ways about it.

However, when a pump dies, does it completely conk out? Or can they die a slow death, squeezing out bits of fuel for several seconds before giving up the ghost? If the latter, then it may not really make any difference, as one pump suddenly giving drastically reduced output is just as bad as one of a pair of pumps failing.
my god, this was prophetic. Just two weeks after this post, the latter happened. I don't know how long the fuel pump was broken but it wasn't for very long (literally seconds) before my engine started blowing the White Smoke of Death. It could have been even just the fuel system depressurizing from about 5bars to zero, the fuel coming out of the injectors (my theory). Anyways, one pump or two, failure is definitely a bad thing, unless you're off boost and trying to parallel park your car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts