GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One very interesting point of discovery from the Japan trip, is the fuel they use is 100 octane,
this is a point of interest as I have read here that it is the same as ours, so this will help some of you with Japanese ECUs
Gary
OFFICIALY JAPANESE:D

·
Registered
766 Posts
Isn't that why its always best to update the ECU on imports so they are set up for the right fuel?

Correct me if im wrong but i didnt think 100octance was possible on our system of fuel, the Americans get 100 octance plus but they use a different system of measurement to us? Like i say this could well be wrong but its just something i heard somewhere a long time ago.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
There is great confusion on this as the japanese don't seem to specify what system they use to measure fuel octane rating. The Americans seem to have the lowest octane ratings as they use the more precise (RON+MON)/2 method or measurement. The UK/Europe RON system is not that accurate as the test conditions for RON are not that demanding, especially when dealing with high performance engines. MON uses a much tougher test (ie high rpm & high inlet temperatures) to come to a more precise octane rating.

I have never seen a petrol station in Japan advertise which method is used to determine the fuel ratings, and not even a distinction is made between "Regular" and "Hi-Oku" at the pumps with octane numbers. All very confusing!

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Sounds like a straightforward question but its difficult to find a straightforward answer. On this and other boards people have mentioned that Japanese hi-octane pump gas is 100 octane. When I asked the guys at Top Secret what it was they said 98 octane (RON). I'm more confused than anything else... :confused:

Similarly, I know that HKS Drag Gas is 110 octane although I'm not so sure about whether that is measured in RON or MON. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this.

Cya O!

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
I covered this in full a few years back on the LSOC but it appears that the 'archive' has been lost, which is a shame.

But, put simply, the important thing to remember and what was explained in the OB thread was that Power is not Octane.

2 examples

Fuel1;
Calorific value gives max power output available at 400hp, but due to its Octane rating of 95RON the max you can get from it is 310hp.
Fuel2
CV gives MPO of 370hp, Octane rating is 110RON the max you can get from it is 340hp

Japanese fuel has a high Octane but has a lower CV than the UK SUL.

Any wiser?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well then

I guess Junichi Tanaka JUN AUTOS doesent know what hes talking about then, but I think I know who I would bet on
Gary
GT-ART

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
I have to admit I thought the Japanese testing was similar to our own, they do use similar equipment and I believe (but have not tested this personally) that their 100 Oct. was 100 Oct.

I have read no papers telling me different, but will tomorrow write to the JIS Foundation in Kyoto and ask for the test regime and results.

Will post again when I have read the paper.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Yes, please do Mycroft! This has just gotten more confusing. So Japanese fuel is now worst, and UK uses MON testing but advertises RON??????

Shin what do you mean with your MON/RON listing??:confused: They are certified /standardized tests....why should Japan use different RON? If its 100RON in Japan it should be 100RON anywhere around the world. And why is it that Japanese petrol stations are not required by law to actually let customers know exactly what they are putting into their engines?

More confused:rolleyes: :confused:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hesitantly posting

Not sure if this'll add to the discussin but here goes.

Mate with R31 GTS-R, ECU mapped for big turbo and big injectors by NISMO, designed for Japanese 100 RON.

Can NOT run full boost on 97RON SUL from the pumps over here without the knock sensor kicking in big-style.

He is working from the Nissan Motorsport Europe (english) manual for race tuning his car.

Will try and get him to register. AFAIK has not tried Optimax (car only back on road for past 3 months or so, no Shell garages nearby)

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
OK, sorted.

the 100oct fuel in Japan is 99.4 to 100.3 MON to be called 100oct it has a CV 4.9% lower than our fuel, to better suit local conditions
The overall effect providing some little change are made to the Spark Plugs, you can run 1 grade cooler (but that is borderline) or open the gap slightly, this is the reason why I found my TT ran better with the 0.9mm gap rather than the 0.8mm as they are in Japan.

With those mods on a standard car we are 'down' less than 1% on the Japanese figures, with more mods the gap increases, at a guess 20hp perhaps on figures around 500hp, but that is just a guess, so treat it with some caution.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
the 100oct fuel in Japan is 99.4 to 100.3 MON to be called 100oct it has a CV 4.9% lower than our fuel, to better suit local conditions
Great! Cheers for sorting that out Mycroft! Finally some accurate answers:)

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Mycroft... thanks for providing us with some information.

However, your answer has prompted another question. Where does the 100 octane fuel you are referring to come from? In other words, is 100 octane that you quoted data on identical to the hi octane fuel that comes from the pump at the typical petrol station in Japan or is that simply the data for 100 octane fuel that you could buy in Japan from a speciality place (ie. similar to buying a can of HKS drag gas)?

Thanks for your input in advance.

Cya O!

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
On that score I do not know, I have just looked at the JIS papers, as to whether one fuel or another actually is 100oct, well, unless it says it has 100oct then I would judge it not to be so!

You are 'Our Man in Japan' so to be frank, you are the man to tell us what the pumps say.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mark

I dont need to know , I am happy with the information I was given by Junichi Tanaka and this has also been backed up by mycroft so thats good enough for me,
Have a good time in Japan, bring me back a present:D
Gary
GT-ART

1 - 20 of 23 Posts