GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the Evo magazine article I wrote on the Gumball 3000 Rally has made it to the other side of the Pond, I've just published the first part of my full-length Gumball write-up on Auto-Journals.com.

For those of you who didn't know, I was lucky enough to have been invited to do the event in a highly tuned R35 GT-R.

Of specific interest to some of you on here might be the full list of mods Jon Silva made to his amazing GT-R:

Power Mods:
SSP GTR820RR Turbo UPGRADE
SSP RS Downpipes
SSP Front Mount intercooler
SSP Large Bore Hardpipe Kit
SSP EXT Coolant Reservoir
SSP Teflon Gaskets
SSP Cold Air Induction kit
HKS SSQV blow off valves
HKS Kansai Titanium Exhaust
HKS Kansai Ti Mid-Pipe (no cats)
HKS EVC6 Boost Controller
HKS Spark Plugs
Denso 710cc Fuel Injectors
Cobb AccessPort w/ Custom Tunes

Suspension:
JRZ 3 way adjustable coil overs
Custom Eibach Spings
Cobb Front and Rear adj Sway Bars

Braking:
AP J Hook 2 Piece Rotors
Custom AP Racing race compound pads
Custom Ducting

Exterior:
Aeromotions Active Aero Carbon Fiber Custom R2 Wing
PasswordJDM CF Trunk
PasswordJDM CF Hood
PasswordJDM CF Induction system
Still Side Skirts
Zele Rear Under Spoiler
Zele Front Grill
Zele Fender Duct Set
Zele Front Lip

Interior:
Alcantara Full Interior and Headliner
Status 5 point harnesses

Wheels and Tyres:
HRE C90 20in Competition Wheels
Nitto Nt05 Tires

When it is competing in Time Attack events, it normally runs bigger 820cc injectors, more boost, race seats etc and in that trim, his GT-R has been rolling roaded at over 820hp (flywheel) and timed at 0-60mph in 2.7s and 0-100mph in 5.9s!

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no gearbox upgrades ??
No that's the amazing thing, Jon deliberately wanted to see how far he could push the car on standard engine internals and standard gearbox!

Read the full article to find out more... ;)

(I'm not allowed to post links on here, but it shouldn't be hard to work out from my original post. :D )

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
No that's the amazing thing, Jon deliberately wanted to see how far he could push the car on standard engine internals and standard gearbox!

Read the full article to find out more... ;)

(I'm not allowed to post links on here, but it shouldn't be hard to work out from my original post. :D )
sounds awesome mate, well if you need any tuned r35 gtrs to kick some other exotic cars ass, you know were i am lol..

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers! As the UK R35 tuning scene evolves, I'm sure there will be plenty of scope to do articles in Evo and Auto-Journals.

Let's get a rematch between an 800+hp GT-R and that pesky Veyron for starters! :p

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
Watched the Gunmball on sky last nite Dave and you weren't there LOL

·
Registered
785 Posts
Dave, I read in Evo that you thought the Jon's GTR was only 'slightly quicker' then your gtr and that he was blaming the fuel.. I'm staggered by looking at the figures posted above that its only 'slightly quicker' than godzilla. Was the fuel really that bad ?

umar.

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup, Gumball 2009 hasn't been shown yet, but I was interviewed as I was the only car journo on the trip and they wanted my opinion on some of the cars.

Obviously I bigged up the GT-R! :D

Should hit our screens sometime later this year. Dunno what channel yet.
Should be some video of Jon's car.

Do a Youtube search, there are already some vids online.

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dave, I read in Evo that you thought the Jon's GTR was only 'slightly quicker' then your gtr and that he was blaming the fuel.. I'm staggered by looking at the figures posted above that its only 'slightly quicker' than godzilla. Was the fuel really that bad ?

umar.
That was only my initial impression on Californian gas. If you read the whole Evo article you will know how I felt later on.

Part 1 of the more detailed Auto-Journals article leaves it on a cliffhanger...

The figures above were on the bigger 820cc injectors, not the 710cc ones he put in for the rally. Apparently the 820s would have resulted in a huge increase in fuel consumption for no real benefit on the road.

·
Registered
785 Posts
That was only my initial impression on Californian gas. If you read the whole Evo article you will know how I felt later on.

Part 1 of the more detailed Auto-Journals article leaves it on a cliffhanger...

The figures above were on the bigger 820cc injectors, not the 710cc ones he put in for the rally. Apparently the 820s would have resulted in a huge increase in fuel consumption for no real benefit on the road.
ahh i see, thanks for clearing that up. It was a great article even though I couldn't remember some of the main bits ;)

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Part 2 is online now and goes into more impressions of what the SSP GT-R was like as well as detailing a couple of problems!

Sorry I can't post a link, but look on Auto-Journals.com.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts