GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have a slight what I can only describe as a fluttery sound coming from what at first I thought was possible the the rear turbo when just putting slight throttle on, the boost gauge needle just rises, the same when coming off throttle and needle falls.

This was in fourth gear, I then tried it in third gear and the noise had gone, back into forth and it reappears, could this be down to a bearing in the gearbox? Really not sure :confused:

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any thoughts on this guys?

·
Registered
998 Posts
can you be more specific....

Are you still getting full, steady boost through the rev range?

If it only happens in 4th gear, i'd say its the box on the way out, maybe layshaft gone, but really would need to hear the sound

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, still getting full steady boost, what are the lay shafts? And what do they do?

I'll try and record the sound.

·
Registered
998 Posts
the layshaft bearing is to do with your gearbox, if that goes, it can make a sound but im not too sure if it would make a sound in 4th only..... from vague vague memory, mine made a noise when it was idling so would have to investigate whether it can also make a noise in other circumstances such as yours.

If you boost up the same as before, then id be safe to say its nothing turbo related, but again im not sure in my own knowledge if it could still be something related to the engine, but gut feeling tells me its your gearbox.

speaking of gearboxes, any crunching happened recently or slipped gear at high revs when changing from 3rd to 4th?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NISMO-GTR, yes I do get crunching from 3rd to 4th and to 5th, but only when higher up the rev range, (Not normal driving) so I guess my gearbox is not to healthy! :( Do you think it's worth putting in a heavier sythetic oil?

Could that help?

·
Registered
998 Posts
i'd empty whatever oil you have in there and put in Redline Shock Proof. Its thick and also takes a while to warm up, but once its warm, you wont have any crunching atall. Not sure if it will get rid of the noise though.

try it, if not then it sounds like a new gearbox to me. If you havent got a big wallet then buy a 2nd hand one but know what to look for. I cant tell you what to look for, as i dont know myself but im sure others on here will be able to help.

Let us know how you get on :)

·
Registered
998 Posts
BTW, the crunching is the synchro's gone.... they are weak in 33 GTR gearboxes, so until you get this oil in, i wouldnt let it crunch or its just doing more damage. The oil is not a fix, but a long term solution (depending on the state on the box when oil is put in) to keep it lasting longer until you get another.

One option you could do, is buy a knackered box and get it rebuilt, or the syncro's made stronger in 3rd, 4th & 5th.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NISMO-GTR, thanks very much for your advice, I'll change the oil and see how I get on.

And I'll see if I can source a knackered box and have it rebuilt.

Thanks again :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts