GTR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Well I've been searching this forum couple of weeks now, looking for answers to all of my questions, but havent really found solid answers on them. So maybe this thread will help out a bit. Ive been tuning and building my RX7 over the past 3 years, and am now looking for a skyline in the near future. So I understand a fair bit about tuning cars, and whats needed.

One of the questions I'm after is the following:
How much horsepower/torque can the stock engine/gearbox/driveline take? What I found was in the region of 500HP, however Ive also found threads saying 650+ on the stock engine and driveline. Anybody has a solid answer to this. I understand that tuning plays a key role.

When I would be after 750-800Hp, I would expect to change almost all parts in the engine, rods, pistons, valves, fuel management, etc. But is it also necesarry to change the gearbox? What horsepower and torque will it handle?

What about the stock crank, Ive read alot about it being able to hold 7500rpm, but would it also hold more than 500HP, or does it need to be changed also?

What Im curious about is the engine management, what are you guys running, Im now running a microtech on my rx7, and it seems to be a completely different league, compared to the skyline. Which are mostly running Power FC's or HKS Fcons.

Hope this doesnt sound to nooby, but I havent found any decent info on this. And dont want to be the guinea pig on this one. Ive found out too many things the hard way with my rx.

Cheers
Rogier

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
The stock engine/drivetrain will sustain 500hp ok. Cooling is an issue, hence the rad/oil cooling upgrade options. @ 600hp you are living on the edge. Obiously the fueling/clutch etc will need upgrading too.

The gearbox won't take much more either.

If you stick with the 500hp mark, its not that expensive to do. Anything over that and you might need to sell a kidney or 2.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks R32 Combat.

What would my options be for over 500HP, regarding the gearbox? new internals only, or a complete new box?

What standalone do most of you use, the PFC, or the FCON. My opinion is that they should atleast use MAP, instead of MAF.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
You can use OS giken gearbox internals for more HP. I don't know what they are rated at, but its a cheapish option and well worth the money.

HKS, OGS and hollinger boxes fetch good money but are needed for very high HP.

HKS F-cons are popular. The best option is to use both AFM's and a MAP sensor. That gives the best results. AFM's take into consideration air humidity where as MAP sensors don't. MAP for 1bar plus boost and AFM's for cruising/idle..

I use the AEM, but its tricky to get good results. PFC is a good budget ECU.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info R32 Combat. This will make building and looking forward for parts somewhat easier.

How much will the stock turbo´s put out and how much boost are they capable of running.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Don't even think about stock turbos, unless they are R34 GTR ones.(which you might just get 500hp with)

I'm not too sure, but I think HKS GT-SS turbos will do the job. A popular upgrade. Use the search button and see what you can find out..

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive read alot about the SS turbo´s. But my future plan for having 750HP, would get me to a T78 most likely.

Thanks for your help. Will look into the turbo matter, and am going to get a total to do list together.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
For 750HP, chose the HKS T51r or equivalent. Thats what I use. It's a good robust unit rated @ 800 or so HP. the T78 is a tad old school and not that efficient compaired to more modern turbos.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts