GTR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
If your wanting over 1000 hp imo there is no free lunch where your gonna have stock like spool, gotta loose some at the bottom to gain some at the top it's just physics imo

My latest gtr is making almost 1100 hp at the wheels so about 1250 crank hp on pump fuel 2 bar of boost, but the turbos are a gt37 size turbo motor pulling strong by 4000 rpm but don't make full boost til approx 5500 rpm

• Whereas my road gtr gt30s full boost 3500 rpm 928 hub hp 1.8 bar on e50 and turbos are flat out it just won't make anymore power
I think the G30's will hit the spot. the 25's spool is no doubt awesome but I don't need it quite that early, 500-700rpm later is fine, just want some more headroom.

Few other problems to deal with and some logging / driving to do, but I think the G30's will do the trick once everything else is sorted.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
If your wanting over 1000 hp imo there is no free lunch where your gonna have stock like spool, gotta loose some at the bottom to gain some at the top it's just physics imo

My latest gtr is making almost 1100 hp at the wheels so about 1250 crank hp on pump fuel 2 bar of boost, but the turbos are a gt37 size turbo motor pulling strong by 4000 rpm but don't make full boost til approx 5500 rpm

• Whereas my road gtr gt30s full boost 3500 rpm 928 hub hp 1.8 bar on e50 and turbos are flat out it just won't make anymore power
I've never driven a stock GTR so I wouldn't know what stock spool is like :)

First one I've ever driven after being nagged by Andy Clarke to get one as a part time toy (mainly because he said I'd break it all the time) was a Litchfield 775hp which they had for sale. I loved the aggressive steering, suspension felt accomplished and tight but not uncomfortable, car went and sounded perfect, but just not quite enough to excite me.

I bought a "1000hp" car which was "sorted" and ended up with one with multiple problems but a good base configuration. It was still cheaper than doing it myself (or at least that's what I keep saying to myself) but in all truth, you never get exactly what you want unless you build it yourself.

"Stock" I'd imagine would be very boring. If I find a 775hp car capable, but far from exciting there's next to no hope of me buying a Nismo, Track edition or otherwise and finding it fulfilling.

Choices to far have been mainly to "reverse the hooligan elements of the car" with a few mods for strength and abuse capability, but the turbos are really a personal choice. This car has had OEM, EFR, GT3584, G25-660 and will now have G30-770's. It's only done 14k miles so it begs the question "Is there an underlying gremlin which has been chased by many".

So far I'm into the car for £60k (ish) and have a good spec, but need to get to the point it handles and goes like I want. We'll get there and I must add that there's a lot of hours being trousered by the garage now when this isn't their fault, but they also need some R&D and logs for these new generation of turbos, with miles being put on the setup an advantage as they don't have the time.

It's going to end up being an epic car, and certainly I don't want to outstay my welcome and be a moany punter, if what I'm getting at the end is the result of a lot of new kit, development and willing to try things. After all this isn't my only fast car.

Once we're sure about the engine internals and breathing, I have no doubt there'll be willingness to push the G30's reasonably hard, but to make sure no one (including me) gets pissed off we need to see what it'll do at around 1100hp, first.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
I've never driven a stock gtr either
But look at this for response just 1.5 bar on pump fuel 840 hp
30-130 mph 6.8 seconds

But limited on power due to relatively small turbos
Will be interesting to see where the g30s spool and make full boost from a dyno plot, to torque curves will pretty much show the boost curve

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hit a brick wall at 980hp - probably needs other supporting mods like manifold, inlet, maybe cams etc. to go the rated figures. Gonna try some G30's and give my self some more initial power with headroom to go higher later on. Car is having a few little breathing oddities and these may well go away with more flow through the turbo and little bit less boost.
Interesting to see what kind of difference you will have with G30’s.

You should definitely have more power on G25’s with aftermarket intake manifold, throttle bodies, cams etc...

But didn’t you also say that your connecting rods can’t handle all the torque? That could be even more a problem with G30’s if you really want to find out more power out of them?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Ok, those rods are rated to 1250 flywheel. Should be ok with pump gas without need of limiting torque.
Yes, that's what I understand but garage has advised the engine was built for 900 ish so maybe there's some other stuff which isn't uprated and needs to be. Not sure if bearings, head studs etc. need to be aftermarket, maybe that's it as the components of a LM 3.8 are just uprated rods and pistons, most other stuff is OEM.

I think they are comfortable with 1100 ish but not a massive amount more. Torque they were keen to limit to 800lb ft.

I'm of the mind to say screw it, if the breathing issue is sorted let's just turn up the taps.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Yes, that's what I understand but garage has advised the engine was built for 900 ish so maybe there's some other stuff which isn't uprated and needs to be. Not sure if bearings, head studs etc. need to be aftermarket, maybe that's it as the components of a LM 3.8 are just uprated rods and pistons, most other stuff is OEM.

I think they are comfortable with 1100 ish but not a massive amount more. Torque they were keen to limit to 800lb ft.

I'm of the mind to say screw it, if the breathing issue is sorted let's just turn up the taps.

I don't suppose you have dyno plots for the 3584s and then the g25 660s do you ?

I'd like to have a look at those if possible bud

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Really struggling to find any neck and neck comparisons on the same GTR engine, in fact hardly any comparisons at all, other than Evo forums (single turbo and much smaller displacement). Really looking forward to seeing what these do and comparing between 3584, G25 and G30, should make for an interesting read.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
That’s a decent improvement, from 2k onwards you should be able to tell the difference.
660’s should have plenty left in them.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts