GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have an S3 that's crap at maintaining satellite signal when using it for navigation, yup I'm 09 Non Nav. Upgrading soon so wondering if anyone uses an S4 for Nav. I have the phone mounted to the left of the centre console ie near a passengers right knee.

Is there some sort of booster kit??

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
341 Posts
S4 is a much better phone than the s3 but never used it for nav....can't beat a tom tom for that. Might as well wait for the s5 which is coming quite soon....or wait and get a cheaper s4.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I currently have an S3 that's crap at maintaining satellite signal when using it for navigation, yup I'm 09 Non Nav. Upgrading soon so wondering if anyone uses an S4 for Nav. I have the phone mounted to the left of the centre console ie near a passengers right knee.

Cheers
Ian
i'm using the note 3 mate and I have no problem using Nav on the phone. I would think the s4 would work similar to the note 3, they came out round the same time. Will give my mates s4 a shot and get back to you

rob

·
Banned
3,066 Posts

Cheers
Ian
Hi Ian.

I had an S4 that I used for Nav. It was fine. I had mine resting the where the CD player slot is. Never a problem.

If you are not aware, the new Galaxy S5 is out in April, along with the Xperia Z2, and the new HTC One (m8) came out yesterday. If your going to upgrade, you may as well get the latest phone. They sometimes dont tell you that in store ;)

·
Registered
700 Posts
Got the new HTC M8 today... awesome phone. Very pleased with it so far and micro SD card slot now so going to get a 64GB or 128GB card in there... Definately gets my vote if you are considering a new phone.

H

·
Banned
3,066 Posts
Got the new HTC M8 today... awesome phone. Very pleased with it so far and micro SD card slot now so going to get a 64GB or 128GB card in there... Definately gets my vote if you are considering a new phone.

H
Mine is coming tomorrow :D

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
just doing the new phone thing myself just now (s3 got stolen).....was looking at the HTC....definitely better than an s4 etc? what networks etc are you all on....best deals?

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Nexus 4 on giffgaff

·
Registered
700 Posts
Giff gaff here (£15/mth) , although three have a great sim only 1mth contract deal (the one plan 1mth) which is unlimited data with tethering (giff gaff not tether happy) and as many minutes and texts as you could want. If signal is good in your area they tend to have pretty good data speeds too.

H

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Giff gaff here (£15/mth) , although three have a great sim only 1mth contract deal (the one plan 1mth) which is unlimited data with tethering (giff gaff not tether happy) and as many minutes and texts as you could want. If signal is good in your area they tend to have pretty good data speeds too.

H
I thought you had to be on the £25 tariff to tether on three?

Virgin also does a £15 unlimited deal, not sure about tethering as its website is shite.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just checked and they're not offering my upgrade till 23rd May. This contract seems to be going on forever!!!!

Time to buy out me thinks.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I have an S3 and can't comment on the S4 but just a heads-up that these phones with AMOLED displays do suffer from screen burn-in.

I can speak from personal experience with the S3. I've written a free HUD app (i'm not here to plug it so won't name it) and have been using my phone as one of my test devices on a daily basis to and from work for the last year. A guy at work recently mentioned screen burn-in and I thought it was a thing of the past but when I look at my screen with a plain white background I can see my app very faintly as a yellow discolouration.

Anyway, as much as I LOVE the Galaxy phones I won't be upgrading to another AMOLED screen next time. I now don't test with it but instead use an older HTC desire. Oh and added a disclaimer into my app :(

·
Registered
700 Posts
I thought you had to be on the £25 tariff to tether on three?

Virgin also does a £15 unlimited deal, not sure about tethering as its website is shite.
Yep the tethering one on three is £21/mth, still good value I think given I've been pretty punchy with the data usage whilst tethering... Sitting in the car connecting to my NAS whils't the wife is in the shops gets me over 20GB of data usage/mth quite easy. They are rolling out 4G now too.

H

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just checked and they're not offering my upgrade till 23rd May. This contract seems to be going on forever!!!!

Time to buy out me thinks.
Buy a Nexus 5 and see out your contract then go on a Sim only deal. Works great and Google Maps is great for navigation.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts