GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just discovered that I can get garrett turbos at cost price through work. :D

Does any one know what Garrett turbo would be required to replace steel nismos to take power to ~630bhp? Say equivelent to a HKS GT2530?

Thanks.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does nobody know? Doesn't matter now anyway thanks.

It is fast enough (didn't think I'd ever say that), if not too fast (and I didn't think that was possible) already.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
LOL, you remind me of what I was like just after buying Guy's car - akin to "ok this is great, but I used to it now and I want some more!". Then I nearly lost control of it a couple of times, and have since extended my upgrade schedule somewhat :)

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Also, from what I can gather you've probably already got one of the fastest Skylines on this board. That speaks volumes really.

It's worth remembering also what is deemed as "practical" upgrades. Whilst it is conceivable (and has been done) to tune a Skyline all the way up to 1000bhp - the expense involved rapidly approaches (and goes beyond) that of the cost of the car itself. From conversations I have already had along the same lines, I would personally aim for around 550bhp tops - which is very expensive yet achievable, and more importantly - maintainable.

From what I can gather, the cost rises exponentially beyond that. So - if we're talking about £6000+ parts for a "reliable" 500bhp car, you're probably looking (at a rough guess) at £15k+ for 600bhp, maybe even more - you would have to ask people that are already approaching that.

Just my £0.02

·
Registered
46 Posts
Umm you are better off buying your turbo's from HKS rather than garret. Garret supplies HKS with tubro's and HKS modifies and engineers them slightly. If you are only going to run around 1 bar boost, then garret turbo's are fine...But if you want to run at around 1.6 bar thenHKS will do a much better job at that. HKs turbos are designed for maximum possible airflow and max power output for that type of turbo.
Garret doesn't make turbo's equivalent to the 2530, 2530's are more advanced in allmost every way.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
SPHNYX - are you going to change them then??

You have got Nismo turbos on that beast of yours and they are the equivalent size housing to the 2510 or 2530 turbos.
So are you serious about changing?? I think you will have a massive trade off it you do as you will need to go to the 28 series perhaps like GTART (correct me if I am wrong) and then you are into Lag Central.
Your GTR is a seriously quick road car as it was built that way bt dragon. OK you can have tonnes of BHP but what good is it if it only arrives after 5000 rpm.
That white loon machine of yours has so much torque from very low and that is what makes it seriously road on the road.
Still intersting to read of cheap turbos and always good to publish stuff like that to the board.

Nick.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
forgot to say that

they step up like:
25 - 2510, 2530, 2540
28 - 2810, 2830
If you have a look at mario's site under www.exvitermini.com and under movies, then various there are a load of diff GTRs with 28, 30, and 32s. Some wicked machinery but must be well over 800 ponies.
Well that is what I know anyway.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nick,

You are right. It is the torque that I love so much about this car, and I do not want to lose it. I originally posted the above message before I had even driven the car in it's current state. I will be sticking with the Nismos.

If anyone is after a Garret turbo(s) and knows what they want then drop me a mail to [email protected], and I'll see what I can do.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ummm nwelch you missed a turbo in the 25 series, you missed the new 2535. And there are two turbos to chose from in the 30 series. After the 32 there is the t51rbb, one of the biggest or if not the biggest turbo available in the hks range.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts