GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out today that Garrett turbos are only shipped out with plastic bearing cages which for track use would eventually fail. Owen Dev do offer a Bronze upgrade for reliability at extra cost.

Having a plastic component in a Turbo seems a bit silly more so when the temperatures that are involved.

I wonder how many people are aware of this? also if any failures have been linked to this.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Wow that is surprising! I don't like the sound of that
That's crazy having a plastic part inside a turbo
They get rather hot!
Thanks for the heads up
Il have to get mine upgraded I think

·
Real men use a H-Pattern.
12,032 Posts
They are Nylon cages.

Abbey rebuilt my -5s with metal cages.

·
Real men use a H-Pattern.
12,032 Posts
One would have to assume that Garrett's R&D is borne out by the lack of "my turbos failed because of plastic baskets" threads on places like this.

That said, I got to agree that the use of plastic in a turbo does seem ridiculous.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Been running my GTX3582R for over 50K k/m..Hard driving and a lot of track days with the "plastic" cage.
Connect the water siphoning correctly and you need not worry about it .

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just makes me a bit nervous having them instead of bronze. Something people should be aware of - at the end of the day they make the choice, either stick with it or upgrade.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, my gt4094r has now done around 10k miles and now runs over 700hp and the turbo is mint still.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Yup, one of my -5s failed due to a plastic cage failing, not buying a Garrett turbo again......that is just cheap Garrett

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Worried now, -5s were one of my next upgrades.

How much does it cost to replace with bronze ones? Might now have to consider another choice given the cost.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Do you think garrett would use them if there not up for the job? It's not the heat what kills them I would imagine its wear. What happens if the fail? I would imagine there would be a bit of shaft play?

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you think garrett would use them if there not up for the job? It's not the heat what kills them I would imagine its wear. What happens if the fail? I would imagine there would be a bit of shaft play?
Manufacturers do a lot of things that's is not always right, sometimes based on cost sometimes based on overlooking certain things. It is a no brainer if at the time of buying you can upgrade to the bronze cages. Cost is around 150 per turbo at the time of buying but I am sure they can do it afterwards as well just more head ache taking the turbos off and putting them back on etc.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts

of coarse they wouldn't dan its another witch hunt imo.

the hks turbos (which i think are just garrett turbos at the end of the day with different wheels) don't seem to be to much trouble, my 2jz had a t51r spl bb at 2.1 bar and the engine failed catastrophically and had been failing for a while having very low oil pressure and me not realising due to the oil pressure gauge being plumbed in oil filter feed side of the relocator.

the motor failed on the dyno and was flat out at the time and that turbo was still mint when I broke the car for parts.

the problem is imo as soon as a failure is seen it will be assumed that the cage has failed, all turbos will wear out eventually they will have a service life like everything.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Don't underestimate the strength of modern Nylon, many Nylon products, ropes etc... are stronger than steel.

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
It's not an issue to me, I trust what Garrett do and all the development work they put in..
If an engine is serviced correct with the correct oil and restricters you won't have a problem, every year I send my turbo and many other customers turbos away to be checked, around £70 for a strip and inspection.. Complete with a 12 month warranty..
I've never had a problem with one as yet...

Regards Rich

1 - 20 of 21 Posts