GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the GT2860 range of turbo's are oil restrictors needed? Speaking to Garrett they already come built in.

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
707160-5005S New Genuine Ball Bearing Turbo for Nissan Skyline [707160-5005S] - £636.84 : Turbo Dynamics, Turbochargers & Performance Products

Go on this link..
You read that after the word "warning" below, it says that you must also purchase a restrictor if your oil pressure... etc. etc. (it is a secondary restrictor)

:thumbsup:
Not quite, what it actually says is:

WARNING ; On some applications a secondary 0.040 oil feed restrictor may be required. If the oil pressure exceeds 40 to 45 psi at maximum engine speed then it is recommend to fit the secondary restrictor to prevent oil being forced past the pressure differential oil seals and the turbo being incorrectly diagnosed as faulty.

That says to me they come with oil restrictors, but you may need an extra restriction if you have a mahoosive oil pump. - Edit: wait a minute 45psi is only like 3 bar - even the standard pump makes that.

·
Registered
35 Posts

WARNING ; On some applications a secondary 0.040 oil feed restrictor may be required. If the oil pressure exceeds 40 to 45 psi at maximum engine speed then it is recommend to fit the secondary restrictor to prevent oil being forced past the pressure differential oil seals and the turbo being incorrectly diagnosed as faulty.

That says to me they come with oil restrictors, but you may need an extra restriction if you have a mahoosive oil pump.
40-45psi are about 3bar...stock oil pump at 8000rpm works at about 4bar...so you need the secondary restrictor!

·
Registered
35 Posts

That says to me they come with oil restrictors, but you may need an extra restriction if you have a mahoosive oil pump. - Edit: wait a minute 45psi is only like 3 bar - even the standard pump makes that.
For example if you by the hks gt-ss kit from rhdjapan, it comes with banjo bolts included

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
For example if you by the hks gt-ss kit from rhdjapan, it comes with banjo bolts included
Yes, in fact I have GT-SS on mine and they do indeed come with the banjo bolts with restrictors fitted. But these aren't "secondary" restrictors strictly speaking as there aren't any other restrictors in the system.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
In short we can say that FRRACER need banjo bolts! :chuckle:
lol, well it would make a mess in the engine bay if you didn't use any banjo bolts :)

The question is a)do the turbos in question come with banjo bolts
b)do those bolts have restrictors already

When I was talking to CR Turbos about this I was given to understand that BB turbo's that are advertised as a "bolt on" fit for the rb26 (-7s or -9s or standard R34 BBs) should come with banjo bolts fitted with suitable restrictors for standard RB26 oil pressures because they would blow oil without them. If you run very high oil pressure this may not be enough and they will still blow oil, then you can fit a smaller restrictor.

·
Registered
35 Posts
lol, well it would make a mess in the engine bay if you didn't use any banjo bolts :)

The question is a)do the turbos in question come with banjo bolts
b)do those bolts have restrictors already

When I was talking to CR Turbos about this I was given to understand that BB turbo's that are advertised as a "bolt on" fit for the rb26 (-7s or -9s or standard R34 BBs) should come with banjo bolts fitted with suitable restrictors for standard RB26 oil pressures because they would blow oil without them. If you run very high oil pressure this may not be enough and they will still blow oil, then you can fit a smaller restrictor.
"WARNING ***8211; On some applications a secondary 0.040***8221; oil feed restrictor may be required. If the oil pressure exceeds 40 to 45 psi at maximum engine speed then it is recommend to fit the secondary restrictor to prevent oil being forced past the pressure differential oil seals and the turbo being incorrectly diagnosed as faulty."

We know that stock rb26dett engine works at 4,5bar(oil pump pressure) at high rpm...

So what is your response to this statement?

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Mate, get those HKS restrictors as you'll need them when you want to keep your tubs running for a while :thumbsup:

BTW, BB tubs just need a slight oil mist to lube the bearings, not more ;)

HTH

Leo
Thank you Leo :) I will order those.

Anyone got a part number? Or a link to these banjo restrictors.

Just need to decide on the elbows now, I am leaning towards Mine's they seem to have a split for waste gate which the others do not have.. How much benefit in the real world? I guess separation of waste gate and main exhaust gasses is the reason behind the design.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Right well I am not going to spend £36 plus shipping and get ripped off from the UK for these.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts