GTR Forum banner

If Parts were available in the UK would you be interested?

• Yes

Votes: 55 94.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 5.2%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am not sure about you but i have not been overly impressed with the quality AND price of the carbon parts from Japan and USA etc.

I returned a zele rear wing and side skirts because the quality of the weave and overall finish was just plain pants - It looked like my wee man had made it with a blindfold on!

I have been doing a bit of digging and have found a company who are willing to produce R35 parts here in the UK. Can't say much but the actual guy doing the making of the parts is heavily involved with Motorsport say no more. No cheap rip off tat with GTR tax on it.

The most expenses part of the process is making the moulds which will run into 10k+

When i add up the prices of all the stuff i was looking to import it goes to well above this figure. My plan was to bite the bullet and use my car as the donor and get the moulds done.

First step would be external parts.

Rear Wing without the need to worry about the hole in the boot lid!
Side Skirts
Front and rear bumper skirts
Bonnet Scoops
Brake Duct exit Scoops

Then proper moulds of the internal parts.

Fair play to the guys who have purchased stuff from Tuner.jp which are just the carbon overlays but i would prefer proper exact copies of the original parts rather than just Carbon Covers held on with double sided tape.

If i decide to do this then i would of course look to make parts available to fellow owners, and if selling them would make sure i was registered as an official trader etc on the forum.

All i am looking for is a show of hands from those who "MIGHT" be interested should good quality Carbon parts be available here in the UK with "proper" pricing and next day availability etc.

I think the biggest problem we all face is not having a "show car" available to view the parts on so the plan would be to have my car with all the parts on for people to view.

If interested please shove a post up along with the parts you would like to see made available first, this will allow me to gauge if this is worth all of the hassle or not.

I know others are also looking at similar ventures, but what i like about having such a close involvement is that i will be able to have final say on the quality of the pieces, the last thing i want is cheap tat making it's way onto my car.

The company has the brief and are meeting me in 2 weeks with some samples, part of this brief is to ensure that the fixings etc are the best available, i want the parts to fit and be as secure as the OEM parts.

If this is something you feel would be of interested feel free to post.

Lastly a quick lesson in Carbon Fibre, some info sent to me via email explaining the 2 commonly used processes.

The Carbon i am looking at will be Pre Preg vacuum bagged and autoclaved for the very best results

"There are two ways to create a fibre reinforced laminate; "wet" layup and pre-impregnated fibre layup.

The "wet" layup process has been used since the advent of composites to create moulded shapes from glass or carbon fibre and resin.

It is the easiest and least labour intensive method available for moulding composites parts and is now utilised primarily by do-it-yourselfers to create products without large capital investment.

The primary disadvantage of the wet laminate is the lack of resin control.
Dry fiber (glass, carbon, etc.) is laid into the mould and resin is poured and brushed over the cloth in a relatively uncontrolled fashion. Layer upon layer are added in this manner until the desired thickness is met. With this uncontrolled resin impregnation, the laminate can be made too resin rich - adding excess weight and reducing overall strength and stiffness.

Additionally, without proper attention, areas of the laminate can end up without enough resin, thus creating a high content of voids and subsequently decreasing mechanical properties.

The pre-impregnated (pre-preg) fibre method has been developed over the past two decades to create stiffer, stronger laminates with controllable, predictable results. In this case the fibre is pre-impregnated with resin at a production facility, rolled on spools, and frozen to prevent the resin from curing prematurely.

This material is cut and hand laid into a mould to the proper thickness and cured by one of two methods described below. The resulting laminate has a precisely controlled resin volume (+/- 2%) and will be 20-30% stiffer and stronger than an equivalent-thickness wet laminate.

The first method of curing a pre-preg laminate is to put it under vacuum bag compaction and place it in an oven for the prescribed amount of time until the resin "glasses", flows and hardens in the shape of the parent mould.

The second method for curing the pre-preg laminate employs the same vacuum bag compaction as the first, but adds the extra force of the autoclave to "pressure cook" the laminate. In both instances, the cure temperature will also be the maximum allowable temperature of the cured laminate with a continuous service temperature slightly lower.

In the case of the many car hoods/bonnets we have built, the laminate consists of a lightweight closed-cell core sandwiched by two pre-preg skins.
This autoclave cured part is manufactured with a process nearly identical to the chassis and bodywork of today's Formula 1 with strength and stiffness to match.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Nice one Scotty

I would like to see a rear spoiler please - if quality is good and cheaper than the imports there is no down side.

D

·
Registered
968 Posts
Interested in bonnet scoops, front lip spoiler and basically all shitty aluminium look internal parts. Radio unit will need to be stick on though. And I hope they will give the option to get a matt finish on the interior parts. Wish you good luck. Still intend to order them after a while from EndlessR. Their parts look great but Japanese Yen strength and the fact that their radio cover aint ready yet stopped me sofar.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Count me in too, more or less the same as TomGTR, especially the interior parts in matte:)

Cheers

·
Registered
634 Posts
I am also in for some nice interior trim, bonnet scoops, front lip spoiler and of course a rear spoiler but would also like the wing inserts!

Kp

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the show of interest guys, really appreciated.

Quick update for you.

We have asked the supplier to make a quality control piece for us so that we can look very closely at the end product.

We picked one of the more complicated pieces so that we can have confidence in their ability to deliver what we need.

Dependant on how this goes the venture will either be a goer or will get knocked back.

Will keep you all posted.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond, hopefully all being well we will be able to provide a real alternative to the over priced tat that is currently being marketed for the R35............

Once we have "signed off" on the quality control side we will then either:

A - Set up a distribution Company and sort out full trader status on here and other sites

B - Source an already established company to handle all this for us.

The final aim being a cost effective end product.

Regards

ScottyB

·
Registered
968 Posts
I know not my call but can't you set up something with Ben? Top guy in my opinion and will give this a lot more credibility I reckon.

·
Registered
297 Posts
what about a carbon centre bit which goes around the R modes protecting the warrenty button, kind of like a casing which can be opened if you wanted to use the VDC button but blending into the rest of the facia.

·
Registered
56 Posts
PHP:
what about a carbon centre bit which goes around the R modes protecting the warrenty button, kind of like a casing which can be opened if you wanted to use the VDC button but blending into the rest of the facia.
PHP:
LOL
like a self destruct button.........I want one :thumbsup:

Matt interior, front lip splitter & rear spoiler for me

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.