GTR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the maximum amount of torque / hp the standard gear set can take if it was running a 14 plate clutch and circlips upgrade.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I meant if I upgrade the clutch in my MY10 car to a 14 plate clutch and added circlips. I am considering upgrading from my 650r and would like to know what power people have ran reliably

When did come from the factory like this ?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I sure they can but I would like to hear peoples personal accounts of how what power they have how they drive and their reliability

·
Registered
692 Posts
People have run 800lb/ft and close to 1000bhp on OEM gears, a few without an issue.

I would say 750lb/ft is really the limit of the OEM gears for a long period of time. You can run more, but you are running the risk of shearing/breaking teeth off the gearset.

I know George is still running an OEM gearset, but obviously he must drive like a girl. ;)

·
Registered
692 Posts
I killed 3rd gear on a standard gearset when I was running 800lbft+.

I now have a treated gearset and have limited torque to circa 800lbft to keep it happy, but am running close to 1000bhp. 2 events and circa 1000 miles later, no problem. But that's still hardly a test of longevity.

I will be upgrading to an aftermarket gearset asap. As it's the only way to run a lot higher power/torque and keep peace of mind.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think that 700 lbft and 800 hp might be the direction I want to head to keep the reliability of the transmission. I was also thinking of a upgraded first gear just for launching the car.

I want to keep my car as a road car with road manors but then have the confidence in the car to go to the drag strip or a sprint and give it some abuse.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Wouldn't bother with 1st gear, never heard of a failure since LC4/5/6 came about. I did 175 Launches on the OEM 1st gear.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
175 launches jesus ! Ok that's one thing crossed off the shopping list.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I agree with will - the 1st gears used to break due to OEM circlips breaking -

3rd 4th and 5th is the weak gears on the GTR but if you have the circlips then 1st gear oem is good - as proven via will and george.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts