·
Registered
1,239 Posts
lunatic

·
Registered
997 Posts
Hi Tigs

For the 1/4 mile the standard box in the R32,R33 & R34 is Ok but like everything there is of course a limit as to how much time the box will last.Basic rule of thumb would say the less BHP you run the longer your box will last but you can be unlucky.

There are the dog gear boxes,the sequential and the reinforced gear replacement kits for the R32 and R33 but the R34 is causing a few problems as there seems to be no repair kits available for the standard box.

From what I`ve seen on the strip the R32 & R33 have to go into 4th gear just before you cross the 1/4mile line(118-122mph)which I have overcome by upping my rev limiter,but obviously not all of us can do this,I`m fortunate.

I am confident that in 2003 the GTR Club will be able to organise a Drag Day Event somewhere in the UK.

You can have 1st gear doing over 60mph,Rupert has it in his car.I have lots of info on gear ratio`s but I am not proffessional enough to completely understand the figures and the graphs.Could I ask someone else to enlighten me and others please.

Henry.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Henry, would you be able to take out the standard box and recon with different ratio's? rather than go the whole hog of a proper box set up??

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Tigs

I believe their are a few combinations available that would be Drag Specific.

Don't forget to use small wheels as well, probably 15 or 16 inchers ;) .

Have also found out that Yokohama do DRAG specific road tyres as well ;) .

glen

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oooh nice! have emailed them as my dunlop semi slicks have worn out....plus its not much fun driving in the rain with them!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Dave,

The final drive of the car is done by the wheels which are effectively a gear. if you make them smaller they rotate faster and accelerate harder. Big wheels for top end small wheels for acceleration.

hth
Steve

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
with smaller wheels you will also be using higher profiled tyres which when run at lower preassures allow more squat and hence better traction. They also do crumple wall tyres which aid traction by allowing a retardation in torsional forces between wheel and tyre....just like the pro drag cars use

1 - 11 of 11 Posts