GTR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Accepting that my gearbox is due for a rebuild to an as yet unknown degree, I'm wondering whether to just replace what I find needs replacing or go one step further and go a for a complete new gear set...?

Any suggestions, advice or experiences on any after market sets? Ease of installation (if known) and costs would be very helpful.

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
hi peter,i'm in the same situation as you.i don't think they do individual parts for the gbox, you have to fit a complete new gearset.i rang middlehursts a couple of weeks ago and they quoted £687.90 +vat for parts.total to supply and fit £1400 approx inc vat (hiteq).john.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Johnny.

I was told that the idividual parts can be fitted although I guess it depends what you find when you open her up.....

Peter.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Peter,
It`s a nightmare mate,infact both my boxes are shagged and I`m stuck at the moment as to which direction to go in.

Henry.:confused:

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to hear that Henry. Are they both stock boxes?

Has anybody else upgraded their gearsets at all?

·
Registered
212 Posts
upgrade tranny

Hello Peter
I have. We went for the OS Giken replacement 1st 3 gears
giving you a slightly taller 1st and closer together 2nd 3rd to
4th. Uses original 4th and optional with a 5th reducing the overdrive. This kit is designed to work with the '98 on syncros meaning an upgrade there plus any other worn out internals.
You can also get a high strength input shaft but I think thats only required for the drag race / 650hp -plus people. From what I can gather Nissan superceded the syncros and gears several times so if you pick up a secondhand box with an unknown chassis number its rather hard to follow the supercessions. The OS kit is not cheap at Y200,000 just for those 1st 3 gear pairs, but I believe you would like it especially bearing in mind your track use in view of the improved rev-drops. There are 3 sets of ratios to choose from, all same price, but the 'other two' are really a drag orientation and I was steered towards the original kit they introduced to give the nicest spread of ratios. You could of course look at a dog engagement cluster but somewhat noisy and IMO unnecessary on a road car. or there is always a sequential. Good luck
Tim

3,666 Posts
gear kits

Peter,

We can sort out what gearbox you have or are going to buy
from the gearbox number, now we have access to the Nissan part numbers.

We can talk about what strengthened bits are available to buy
for the GTR gearbox and what box is the best to source. Also we are able to offer gearbox building service in house, we can supply all kits avaiable.

see you on wednesday afternoon.

Mark

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tim,

Thanks for that, I'll be in touch for some prices/details although my car is a '97 model...?

Mark,

Thanks for that too. I'll speak to you Wednesday.

Peter.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
YOU

Only need to change the gear sets if you want to change the ratios, the aftermarket gear sets are not any stronger than the standard, there are no other stronger internals than what nissan produce,
The main problem is the center caseing and bearing and if a new bearing is fitted to and old worn out center carrier the problem will be cured short time,
GT-ART solve this problem by selling a brand new Nissan gear set complete with NEW center housing, only GT-ART can supply this item,
Also, gear oil and addative help a lot in preventing damage to gear box GT-ART have a very good oil and addative to prevent this damage,
GT-ART also SUPPLY MODIFIED, HKS 6 SPEED GEARBOX, TRUST 6 SPEED, HOLLINGER SEQUENTIAL (with modified internals so it wont break via JUN AUTOS):D
Gary
GT-ART
OFFICIALY JAPANISE:D
OH Cem about that banner mine is neary ready:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.