GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

anyone know how to remove the gear surround panel. I have got the knob off, but cant figure out the surround.
wanting to fit my carbon panel

thanks

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
You need to slide out the vertical silver bits either side of the AC controls then remove the large centre panel that covers your trans tunnel. That gives you access to info the gear surround. You'll need to undo two connectors one for the IGN switch, the other for the LED that lights the surround then unclip the surround

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you need to remove the lower side panels first...
for them you have to use a screw driver (wrapped in a cloth to protect) and "pop" them out. where they meet the dvd panel..

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
If you press (reasonably hard) your hand flat against the face of the silver panels and pull your hand back, they usually slide out far enough for you to get your fingertips into the inner edge and ease them out.

David

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Buy a set of plastic car trim removal tools for £10 from fleabay. Saves the risk of damaging trim with screwdrivers etc.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My side panels are rock solid can't seem to budge them. Scared of braking something with the pressure I'm putting on them. I've seen a few video's of how it's done so I'm sure I have the right technique but.....

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Secret is to start at the edge which rests against the CD panel and rock your trim removal tool. Then as the trim part moves forward, place the trim remover under the part by the R-R-R switchs/AC panel and rotate the trim tool again.

They will come.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yeah happy to rebuild and engine or gearbox but when it comes to internal plastic trims I'm scared to death.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Did not mean to drag up an old thread but I have a tip to share.

Generic cloth duct tape did not leave any residue or marks. Attach the end piece to the large flat surface of each side trim panel of the console. The roll can be used as a handle. Pull straight out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
I have got the knob off, but cant figure out the surround.
wanting to fit my carbon panel
Assuming you have removed the side panels first?

The gear surround is simply clipped on.

Lift the armrest and open the sliding door that covers the drinks holder, then pull firmly on one side of the gear surround.

As each clip pulls free work your way around the panel.

David

1 - 19 of 19 Posts