GTR Forum banner

Gearbox build advice?

6K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  dudersvr 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Contemplating on getting my gearbox built. Currently as it stands, it’s a stage 4.25 MY19 Track Edition GTR, on a stock box (litchfield rods have been upgraded in the engine).

I don’t track my GTR at all (and probably won’t in the future). However, I’m looking at upgrading my gearbox so that it can withstand 900/1000bhp and about 800-1000lbft (for when I go for my turbo/engine build).

I know where to start for the engine and what to upgrade. However, I’m completely clueless for where to start with the gearbox.

Any advice on which component you would upgrade would be much appreciated for a fast road car (between 800lbft to 1000lbft). Don’t really want to go OTT (read as, don’t really want to spends £20k-£30k on building a gearbox for a car that I daily drive 8 miles round to school and back), so would like to know what the essentials are for that kind of torque level).

TIA! :)

#4 ·
There's different stages to upgrading the gearbox, some do the 1st gear, billet baskets, clutches and ets refresh and with good mapping can last (but it won't be over 700lbs). For 800lbs+ you'll need a fully built one, all gears, clutches, baskets, shift gear selectors etc.. The gearset are the biggest cost consumable, dodson, ppg,linney etc and then the noise is also different. If you want quiet (near oem levels), ppg is the best bet.

Speak with Chang, he's been building GTR gearboxes for ages and knows them inside out. Depending who is doing your engine build, some folks prefer one stop solution as its easier for any warranty/mapping etc.

What turbos are you looking to run? as that will ultimately decide if the 800+ levels of torque can be provided.

#9 ·
I have had PPG V3 in my car for several years now and it's been perfect, multiple launches etc without difficulty.

There is a noticeable whine in 4th gear, but as Tin has said, you get used to it.

Reliability at your planned power level comes at a price, gearbox upgrades are not cheap, but the thought of having a broken car with all the hassle that creates makes it a great investment.

#11 · (Edited)
I've got the Linney Gearset

Reactions: SKNAM
#21 ·
I have been advised that changing gear on a high powered car and the fact the gears have a different pitch and angle and some are wider it puts a greater load on the forks. I was quoted 2K for them. I also now a few guys that change them on fully built boxes , granted they are over1200hp , but its been recommended to me.

#26 ·
Same here.

I have 950ftlbs wheel torque and over 1025 wheel HP/1200 engine BHP with PPG V3 and standard shift forks.

Not to say that aftermarket shift forks would not improve reliability, but standard shift forks do work.

I have been advised that changing gear on a high powered car and the fact the gears have a different pitch and angle and some are wider it puts a greater load on the forks. I was quoted 2K for them. I also now a few guys that change them on fully built boxes , granted they are over1200hp , but its been recommended to me.
As above Derek, shift forks are not a necessity, but might be a nice to have.

Which gearbox upgrade are you planning?

#25 ·
yes ex vat so add 20% on top

#32 ·
Monster has all gears much bigger, R is tiny to make room, it also comes with billet midplate and all bearings etc
Pics are top Albins left Stock right, Pic 2 is Monster left V Extreme right

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.