GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not the sexiest subject in the world, but I've looked for pics for gearbox cooling parts in the past and didn't have much joy, so thought I'd share these.
Had it fitted before I took the R33 to Magny Cours last weekend - the gear kit and build cost a good few grand so I thought I would be nice to look after it. There's a surface mounted temp switch which kicks in at 90 degrees and goes off at 80. I wasn't sure if it would switch on much, but I pulled into petrol stations a few times and it was buzzing away nicely. I'm gonna fit a temporary light somewhere so I can see how much it comes on while it's on the road. I'm also going to wrap the exhaust to reduce the heat that gives off.

In hind sight I should have got the gearbox builders to fit fluid unions while they had the box in pieces so we wouldn't need to use the drain and fill plugs, but it's not a big issue.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
How clean does that look under there!!

Costage?

Looks good :clap:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pikey said:
How clean does that look under there!!
Costage?
Looks good :clap:
Should be cleaner when I buy a 2 post ramp and get properly bufty under there :)
Cost is £725 for the kit and an extra £200 to fit, both plus vat. Kit price would get cheaper if you had lower spec, non braided hoses.
MADsteve said:
looks like a nice job, Renton. Is it something anyone can do to their stock box?
Steve
Cheers. Reyland have to take the credit though.
Yes it is an 'any box job'. Although we've got a Pfitzner gear kit, it lives inside a standard case.
COSSYCam said:
Is that Mocal pump you are using?
Neat installation btw :thumbsup:
Tilton :)

·
Registered
519 Posts
Looks good. How do you establish you need one though? Same goes for diff cooler.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DRAGON said:
Looks good. How do you establish you need one though? Same goes for diff cooler.
Good question. The reasons I decided to fit a gear box cooler are:
1) I took the standard car on track at Castle Combe a few years ago and within 5 laps it was baulking in most gears and my left leg was sweating from the heat from the centre tunnel.
2) Coolers were fitted to UK model Skylines as standard. This is because it was anticipated UK cars would spend longer periods driving at higher speeds than they would in Japan.
3) I fully intend for the car to cruise for long periods at high speed - it's done one Gumball already and I hope it wont be the last ;)
4) If the box is prevented from overheating it should last longer.
As for the diffs, I figure they're cheaper to replace if they die.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
well done renton.. did mine and fitted a transfer box cooler too.. mine activate at 100 deg...lights on dash to tell me they are on. ond are on regularly..:)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice to see some different pics :thumbsup: . Looks like a very effective set up you've got there, if perhaps a little heavy? Then I guess Skylines aren't exactly feathers to start with... I plan to put ours on a diet before we hit the track and strip next year.
After seeing yours, I think I'll add some sort of stone guard for the cooler next time I have the car up in the air too.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reyland kit is available now, although Martin is going on holiday tomorrow, so this was probably a bad time to start this thread... Tony will still be there to take calls, but he's gonna be pretty stacked with work while Martin's away.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts

Nice decat pipe!!!
Really want to fit one on my car but a bit lazy to do the work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts