GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question, in your opinion which should take first priority when it come to cooling - the gearbox or the rear diff?

Ideally both would be perfect, but Im in the stages of sourcing a kit to cool one atm so wanted to ask which should be done first.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Transfer case.

It was available from Nissan as an option for R32 N1.

You will have the space under the car but not the holes pre drilled.

After that the rear diff. Gearbox has way more oil volume and doesn't heat up that fast.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Transfer case.

It was available from Nissan as an option for R32 N1.

You will have the space under the car but not the holes pre drilled.

After that the rear diff. Gearbox has way more oil volume and doesn't heat up that fast.
Cheers David, completely passed my mind and makes sense.

I was planning on getting the Trust Diff covers to increase the oil capacity of the front and rear diff, so ideally taking that into consideration the transfer case should have the cooling system first.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also standard on the Australian cars.
Cooling the transfer case keeps the gearbox oil cooler too.
Ye I had been going the SAU forums and saw that. They had some good infor on there too about how it's setup and gave me a few ideas on how to run the system.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gents, I was thinking on this a little more.

If the R32 is predominantly rear wheel drive and doesn't often send torque to the front why would the transfer case take priority on cooling over the rear diff.

Essentially the transfer case doesn't see that much action.

This is taking into consideration this is a fast road car that won't see the track, so 4wd is rarely engaged.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Does one rear wheel always slip so you need a cooler for the rear diff?

Also who says it doesn't send torque often to the front wheels?
It does a lot. But not all of it.

Talking into consideration this is a fast road car, you don't need a gearbox/differential/transfercase cooler at all.
If you like one, buy one for peace of mind. Will propably not change anything, so it doesn't matter where you put it on.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers David,

Actually a friend of mine said the exact same thing, that I don't actually need any at all.

I was considering it purely out of curiosity but it seems it may just be overkill.

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
Made all 3 kits in the past working off a temp sensor with -8 lines, filter and a gear driven pump and a relay setup.

Your car is a garage show piece so would not be required unless you have decided to do a Sam and go on track :)

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
A cheap temp sensor and readout swapped between transfer case, rear diff, front diff and gearbox will tell you what, id=f anything, is needed, no point guessing and adding complexity and weight needlessly. A few spare drain plugs with some holes drilled for the sensors, and with a bit of ingenuity as to how to still tighten and undo them will do the job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts