GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting the right oil for gearboxes, diffs and transfer boxes can be tricky, so please ask here if there is any information that you need.

To help us to give the most accurate advice possible we do need some information about your car. e.g.
Make:
Model:
Year:
Manual/Auto:
Performance Modifications:
Driving style: (road / off-road / track etc.)
Any other information that may be relevant: e.g. approx BHP if modified, any transmission problems
What recommendation are you looking for? Gearbox, diffs, limited slip diffs, transfer boxes etc

Any oil we recommend is available to buy from us (if you would like to) for delivery throughout the UK and many destinations Worldwide. We offer a really extensive range of oils and lubricants from 11 major oil manufacturers at prices much lower than the high street and main dealers. We stock oils and fluids that meet pretty much all manufacturers and international specifications. Our brands include, Silkolene, Fuchs, Gulf, Castrol, Motul, Mobil, Millers Oils, Shell, Valvoline, Amsoil and Red Line.

Plus, as the Club is a member of our club discount scheme you can get discounts of at least 10% across our entire range.

To redeem your 10% club discount simply use the following club discount code at the checkout.

Once the code is added at the checkout you will then receive your extra 10% club discount. However this discount code cannot be used in conjunction with other offer codes, BUT the code can be used in conjunction with any of our offers on this page HERE that do not require offer codes.

Any questions please ask here or contact us via email at [email protected]

Finally, if there are any products we don't stock and you have difficulty getting hold of elsewhere, let us know and we'll see if we can stock them.

We look forward to being of help!

Cheers
Tim, Opie Oils

You can also contact us by phone on +44 1209 215164
(All oils recommended are available to buy online at my web site)

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Hi, can you please tell me what I need for the following from the Motul range for road and track use.

R32 GTR 450bhp
Getrag R34 6sp Gearbox
Transfer Box
Font Diff
Rear Diff

·
Registered
1,968 Posts

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Hi Tim,

700hp mostly street, but does track days R32 GTR

R33 gearbox

Transfer Case: (this one I need something good, I appear to have cooked the plates, it's running in 2wd at the moment until lit is repaired or replaced)

Front diff: Standard (but will change to a Quaife at some stage)

Rear diff: 2 Way Nismo

Cheers :)

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi

I would use a really good 75w90, like the Millers CRX 75w-90 NT, Gulf Competition, Motul Gear 300, Redline MT90/Lightweight Shockproof in the gearbox. All of those but the MT90 are good options for the front diff too.

75w-90 Gear Oils for your Car from Opie Oils

If you want a good transfer case oil, I'd probably use Amsoil ATF or Fuchs 4400

Automatic Transmission Fluid and ATFs from Opie Oils

Any of these 75w-140s are fine for the Nismo diff.

Limited Slip Diff Oil for you car and & Axle Oils from Opie Oils

Cheers

Tim

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Cheers Tim,
I don't think we get Amsoil in NZ, but I already use 30wt Redline Race in the engine, and Redline Shockproof lightweight in the gearbox.

I will see if we have Fuchs 4400 for the Transfer Case. Is the Redline ATF's any good? Which one is going to work in my situation?

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Hi Tim,
I've checked, and we can't get Fuchs 4400 in NZ.

There are many Redline ATF types available, which would you suggest considering the power the car makes, that I run a 4x4 electronic controller, and that I have damaged a transfer case on the last outing on the track with wide slicks on the car?

I'm thinking either the lightweight Racing ATF

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Automatic Transmission Fluids - Lightweight Racing ATF

Or the Racing ATF

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Automatic Transmission Fluids - Racing ATF (Type F)

Or are they both overkill (not that I mind overkill!) and the High Temp ATF would be better?

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Automatic Transmission Fluids - High-Temp ATF

Thanks for your advice.
Chris.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Chris

They aren't approved, but if you can get hold of the Red Line D4 ATF, that's probably the most suitable.

Cheers

Tim

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Hi Tim, what oils would you recommend for mine.

1996 R33 GTR Vspec 450bhp.

(Engine rebuilt by Ron at RK approx 3,000miles ago. Forged pistons, stock rods, N1 oilpump, ACL race bearings)

Standard Gearbox
Transfer Box
Font Diff
Rear Diff

What oils would you suggest I go with, It's maily used on road, always warmed up and cooled down.

Cheers,
Saif.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hi Saif

I would use a 10w-50 in the engine.

10w-50 car engine oil | 10w50 oil

The Nanodrive CFS is, on paper, the best oil available, but the Pro S and CFS are both really good oils, so all are good choices for your car.

You need a 75w-90 for the gearbox.

If you want to go for the best, the Millers CRX 75w-90 NT, Gulf Competition, Motul Gear 300, Redline MT90 and Millers TRX are ideal. The Castrol Universal, Motul Motylgear and Fuchs Gear Syn are all decent alternatives.

The diff needs a straight 90, like the Fuchs Titan Race Gear 90LS, Shell TS90 or Motul 90PA.

SAE 90 Gear Oils for your Car from Opie Oils

The front diff needs a 75w-90

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-673-75w-90-mtfs-manual-transmission-fluid.aspx

The Fuchs Syn 5, Millers CRX, Redline 75w-90 GL5, Motul Gear 300 and Gulf Competition are ideal for the diff. The Fuchs Sintopoid, Castrol Syntrax Longlife, Millers TRX, Motul Motylgear, Mobil SHC and Amsoil FGR are also good choices.

due to the spec needed for the transfer box, I would go for either the Amsoil ATF, Motul Multi ATF, Fuchs ATF4400, Gulf Multi Vehicle ATF or Millers Millermatic ATF SPIII.

Cheers

Tim

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Tim,
Please advise for the following:
Model: BNR34
Year: 1999
Performance Modifications: forged pistons, rods, ACL bearings, cams, HKS 2530, down pipe, exhaust, oil cooler.
Driving style: road/occasional track
Temps: 90-110 (can't remember for sure, it's been 4 years i haven't run it), but summer time here is around 30 to 40 C (USA)
Engine, Gearbox, diffs, transfer boxes, Attessa, power steering
Also i am confused on the gearbox oil, i have read all the oil advice and you are having people put ATF or 75W90 in it, which one is it, or are they both ATF's?

Thank you

Gregory

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Hi Tim,
I'm running Redline 75w90 diff oil in my new front diff as per Quaife's recommendation for their ATB LSD diff. I am worried after destroying the factory crown and pinion on the last front diff that it may not handle the heat loading that my 700hp R32 is putting into it on the track with big slick tyres and a 4x4 controller.

I see that the Redline Heavy Shockproof has a fluid friction of the 75w90, but a much higher film thickness of 75w250......would this offer me better heat/loading protection than the standard 75w90? Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Tim,
Please advise for the following:
Model: BNR34
Year: 1999
Performance Modifications: forged pistons, rods, ACL bearings, cams, HKS 2530, down pipe, exhaust, oil cooler.
Driving style: road/occasional track
Temps: 90-110 (can't remember for sure, it's been 4 years i haven't run it), but summer time here is around 30 to 40 C (USA)
Engine, Gearbox, diffs, transfer boxes, Attessa, power steering
Also i am confused on the gearbox oil, i have read all the oil advice and you are having people put ATF or 75W90 in it, which one is it, or are they both ATF's?

Thank you

Gregory
Hi Gregory

I would use a 10w-50 due to the forged pistons and high air temps.

10w-50 car engine oil | 10w50 oil

The Nanodrive CFS is, on paper, the best oil available, but the Pro S and CFS are both really good oils, so all are good choices for your car.

You need an an ATF for the gearbox, ATTESSA, transfer box and power steering and due to the specs I would go for either the Amsoil ATF, Motul Multi ATF, Fuchs ATF4400, Gulf Multi Vehicle ATF, Castrol ATF Multi Vehicle or Millers Millermatic ATF SPIII.

If it's a 'normal' GTR, both diffs need a 75w-90.

The Fuchs Syn 5, Millers CRX, Redline 75w-90 GL5, Motul Gear 300 and Gulf Competition are ideal for the diff. The Fuchs Sintopoid, Castrol Syntrax Longlife, Millers TRX, Motul Motylgear, Mobil SHC and Amsoil FGR are also good choices.

If it's a V spec, the 75w-90 is still ideal for the front diff, but the rear needs a SAE90 mineral oil, like the Fuchs Titan Race Gear 90LS, Shell TS90, Castrol Axle Z or Motul 90PA.

SAE 90 Gear Oils for your Car from Opie Oils

Cheers

Tim

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Tim,
I'm running Redline 75w90 diff oil in my new front diff as per Quaife's recommendation for their ATB LSD diff. I am worried after destroying the factory crown and pinion on the last front diff that it may not handle the heat loading that my 700hp R32 is putting into it on the track with big slick tyres and a 4x4 controller.

I see that the Redline Heavy Shockproof has a fluid friction of the 75w90, but a much higher film thickness of 75w250......would this offer me better heat/loading protection than the standard 75w90? Thanks for your time.

Hi

The Red Line 75w-90 GL5 oil is very good stuff, so it's likely to be fine, but I don't think there would be an issue if you want to use the Heavy (or Lightweight) Shockproof).

Cheers

Tim

1 - 20 of 48 Posts