GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As the title suggests about 4 months ago I had the oil changed clips and magnets done in the gearbox. Before I had this done I never had any issues with the gearbox at all after I had it done about three weeks later going from reverse back into first gear just started flashing so I turned the ignition off and back on again and everything was fine no management light came on.

I check the code when I got home and it was gear failed to engage within the allotted time.

About a month later happened again the same thing going from reverse to first
This time the management light stayed on and it said to take the car to the dealership same code so I reset everything's was fine for about 5 weeks

Yesterday when I was reversing into my drive which is slightly downhill going forms reverse to park it came up with transmission error again take the car to the dealership. This time I could not get reverse or first gear I tried to reset the problem but it would not reset. So I drive it up the road and back with it in auto
Would not let me select manual and would Only let me drive in second and fourth gear. When I got home I tried to reset it again this time it reset and all the gears are operated normally. Went for drive for about half an hour everything still ok.

Has anyone else experienced this problem after having the gearbox done?
The work was carried out by Litchfield so I know that it was done properly.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Regards
Tim

·
Registered
924 Posts
As the title suggests about 4 months ago I had the oil changed clips and magnets done in the gearbox. Before I had this done I never had any issues with the gearbox at all after I had it done about three weeks later going from reverse back into first gear just started flashing so I turned the ignition off and back on again and everything was fine no management light came on.

I check the code when I got home and it was gear failed to engage within the allotted time.

About a month later happened again the same thing going from reverse to first
This time the management light stayed on and it said to take the car to the dealership same code so I reset everything's was fine for about 5 weeks

Yesterday when I was reversing into my drive which is slightly downhill going forms reverse to park it came up with transmission error again take the car to the dealership. This time I could not get reverse or first gear I tried to reset the problem but it would not reset. So I drive it up the road and back with it in auto
Would not let me select manual and would Only let me drive in second and fourth gear. When I got home I tried to reset it again this time it reset and all the gears are operated normally. Went for drive for about half an hour everything still ok.

Has anyone else experienced this problem after having the gearbox done?
The work was carried out by Litchfield so I know that it was done properly.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Regards
Tim
That's no good mate. I had mine done there and was really impressed how smooth and slick it felt after the service. Probably down to the clutch learn but has been sweet ever since.

If I had a problem though, I'd not use it again untill I got it checked back there. I'd be worried about causing bigger problems. The code reset function should be there to clear codes after the cause is fixed, not to just keep ignoring it.

Get it checked and let us know, good luck.

What mileage are you on by the way?

Satan

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's no good mate. I had mine done there and was really impressed how smooth and slick it felt after the service. Probably down to the clutch learn but has been sweet ever since.

If I had a problem though, I'd not use it again untill I got it checked back there. I'd be worried about causing bigger problems. The code reset function should be there to clear codes after the cause is fixed, not to just keep ignoring it.

Get it checked and let us know, good luck.

What mileage are you on by the way?

Satan
Thanks for the sound advice it's done 23430 The gearbox service was done at 20682 Miles

·
Registered
924 Posts
Thanks for the sound advice it's done 23430 The gearbox service was done at 20682 Miles
Almost the same miles I had mine done and same current mileage.

Mine is a 59 plate, yours?

I think it sounds like there is still some swarf near a shift sensor confusing the box as to what is really happening. I'm sure Litcho's will fix but I'd avoid driving till then, unless Litcho's say different.

Best of luck and hope it's soon sorted mate, feel for you.

Satan.

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
I had the same work done there 18 months ago, gearbox has been fine since.

Give then a ring

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Almost the same miles I had mine done and same current mileage.

Mine is a 59 plate, yours?

I think it sounds like there is still some swarf near a shift sensor confusing the box as to what is really happening. I'm sure Litcho's will fix but I'd avoid driving till then, unless Litcho's say different.

Best of luck and hope it's soon sorted mate, feel for you.

Satan.
yes its a 59 plate too

·
Registered
470 Posts
ive had all circlips done on mine years ago by svm which were done with previous owner.

tbh ever since I purchased the car there has been a problem with reverse to 1st gear selection mainly when car is cold on 1st start up but ive lived with it despite cleaning out the solenoids which made zilch difference and neither does clutch adjust or selector re-learn

now heres the thing
I did a trackday a couple months ago where I managed to strip the 4th gear (took around 4 teeth off) but I had a replacement box so fitted that but still got exactly the same problem with reverse to 1st gear shift and that's now on Litchfield gearbox upgrade
tried the clutch re-learn but makes no difference.

my way round this is on cold start if you want to select reverse for example, is to put it in and if after 2-3 secs it does not engage then put it back into neutral then try again until the gear is eventually eventually selected, not ideal but it stops the gearbox going into limp mode and is fine for the rest of the day, if you just leave it in gear with selector light continually flashing ecu will then put box into auto and limp mode and you may have to reset error code with obd2

one day il get a chance to look into whats causing this issue but just not got the time at the moment
for the record all other gears select fine and smoothly so for time being il live with it as ive done for past two years lol

·
Registered
924 Posts
Weired that the problem has remained even after changing gearboxes!!

Perhaps a software issue then, rather than a physical fault?

Interested to see how this pans out. Please keep us in the loop.

Satan

·
Registered
330 Posts
Personally, if my gearbox starts playing up I will look to get it fixed rather than doing a reset so that I can continue to drive on. Problems tend to be cheaper to fix early on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
how strange.......I had the exact same issues yesterday.

Just been down to AC Speedtech and Andy plugged the car in to his laptop and he came up with two error codes - 2637 and 2641 which both relate to torque management or Traction Control. Just got Andy to clear the codes and the car has been fine......So far!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Birthday treat

Car turned 2 years old today so I took it in to SVM for a Full service.

Most service items didn't really need doing but I was happy to have the lot done for piece of mind & hopefully that's it till next year.

SVM were obliging & threw in some free air filters as a gesture of good will for my 1st visit.

Never seen so many GTR's in one place.

Cheers SVM

Meant to start a new thread ...... dont know how it got here

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
how strange.......I had the exact same issues yesterday.

Just been down to AC Speedtech and Andy plugged the car in to his laptop and he came up with two error codes - 2637 and 2641 which both relate to torque management or Traction Control. Just got Andy to clear the codes and the car has been fine......So far!!
What year and what milage has your car done as a matter of interest?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Car turned 2 years old today so I took it in to SVM for a Full service.

Most service items didn't really need doing but I was happy to have the lot done for piece of mind & hopefully that's it till next year.

SVM were obliging & threw in some free air filters as a gesture of good will for my 1st visit.

Never seen so many GTR's in one place.

Cheers SVM

Meant to start a new thread ...... dont know how it got here
Lol welcome to thread my friend good to have you dropping in even though it is a bit random :chuckle:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Timboy666

Its a 2010 with 32k miles on the clock. Was only in for a the clips to be fitted last week. Its been fine for the rest of today. Yours?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts