GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to remove the gear lever from R33 GTR please?

I have taken off the top screw on cover (with the gear map on it) and the leather gaitor, then there are two large rubber covers held on with a bolt on frame which come off over the 'fat gear leaver stalk'.

The bit I'm having problem with is getting the 'fat stalk' off from the thinner stalk that is actually in the top of the gearbox.

I need to take these stalks apart in order to swapout the smaller rubber cover that fits over the thin stalk and onto the top of the box.

Many thanks guys

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Hi Mate,
The correct way to do this is to remove the circlip holding in the gearstick, lift the lot out, replace the boot and reassemble, but i believe you can just about get away with lubricating the stick and sliding the new boot over the entire gearstick, if you do not have circlip pliers and are struggling to get the stick out.

The two parts you are refering to do not separate, i think this is a vibration damper of some sort

See here

Ian

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ian,

When the clip is out and shaft removed does it still not have the large ball mount on the end of the shaft? that also looks to big to get the boot over, which is why I assumed it must split in the middle somehow...

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Yes, the ball is on the end.....
that's why i'm saving it's probably easier to just put a coating of WD40 on the shaft and gently slide it down.
The Boot is surprisingly compliant.

Ian

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
If you attempt this method, which sounds like the only option, put the boot in boiling water for a few minutes before install, this will allow it to stretch that bit further without damage.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Seriously Ant, it goes over without any grief whatsoever, i wouldn't recommended this method if i felt it was a short-cut.
you'll see how easy it goes over when you try it.
Ian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts