GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Following EJH#25
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I'll soon be mapping the Holinger with the Shiftec paddle system I thought some others may be interested in this as I've been asked a few questions recently.

The Shiftec can automate the Holinger and effectively converts the gearbox to paddle shift whilst maintaining the ability to manually shift if required. The system is fully closed loop which means that the GCU uses sensors to determine when the full shift cycle has been completed.

I'm told that the setup can do 5 gear changes in under 1 second so I'm keen to see how it compares to my 35!

Anyway, this is another car being mapped on the Shiftec system and I'm aiming for similar results now I've converted the engine to drive-by-wire...

I'll obviously video mine being mapped and post the results ;)

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Wow! what ever the car is on the top vid sounds very angry and fast with that shifter system!

·
Following EJH#25
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could be wrong but Shiftec work closely with the Mosler Le Mans team.

·
Following EJH#25
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not for the feint hearted mate as new they're very expensive!
Although I have spied another GCU for sale for £850 which is about a quarter of its new price. (The rest of the kit can be expensive but you don't have to use Shiftec gear although using their pump is advisable)

·
Following EJH#25
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
How does the Shiftec system integrate with the throttle and clutch system?
I run a MoTeC M800 ECU and have enabled the Drive-By-Wire on-board control module. This was the module working (test output 20-80% throttle) driving the throttle actuator.

The Holinger gearbox has had a new rotary potentiometer installed so the the GCU (hard wired) knows the exact position the gearbox is in. The GCU is also hard wired to the ECU and canbus to the SDL (Dash).

There is no clutch control in this system as the only time the clutch is operated is from neutral to first or reverse. All gear changes 1-6-1 are clutchless. Although there is clutch control functionality, the Shiftec/APRacing clutch unit is very expensive but the car 'could' be converted to 2 pedal.

On the upshifts, the GCU via paddle input sends a signal to the ECU to cut the power unloading the mission and then energises the pneumatic piston to operate the gear lever. It knows the exact position of the gearbox so monitors for a full cycle prior to re-engaging power.

With downshifts, the GCU tells the ECU how many revs to lift the engine by to maintain a smooth change. All these setting and timings are configurable as every gear change up and down will have different characteristics and therefore require mapping, ultimately, every gear change is different which is why I chose closed loop over open loop. Open loop has the potential to do a lot of damage and is much slower.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
OMG!

This has been my dream for a very long time! So excited to see your results mate!

Will you be using the car as a track only car or will you drive it on the street also?

·
Following EJH#25
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers mate.

It's a full weight street legal car but should be pushing over 1000bhp on VP and nitrous.
Plenty of time now to get all the bugs ironed out and hopefully get a decent 1/4 time.
Usually run around 750 on pump gas on the street.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts