GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys are there any places that makes hardened gears for the R32 GTR? and also what is the HP rating that they start to give trouble?

·
Premium Member
3,816 Posts
OS Giken, Route 6, HKS Kansai, R&D Murayama all do uprated gearsets with closer ratios. OS seems to be the most popular fitment.

Weak point is 3rd gear - anything above 600hp is risky - OS Giken quote 800hp with their uprated input shaft.

The main problem with 32 boxes is people abusing the synchros by shifting too fast (or messing up the clutch footwork). The synchros take a beating and it becomes hard to select the gears. The FS5R30 gearbox was upgraded in the later R33's and you can no longer get the outdated 32 shift mechanism parts. Makes rebuilding a 32 gearbox qiute pricey.

Auto Gallery Yokohama make uprated synchro boxes (SS690) with double cone systems. They will also do the conversion on OS Giken gearsets.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
hey thanks for the info another question can the R33 box fit in the R32 chassis?

and do you have any links to the companies you listed above?

·
Registered
56 Posts
PPG are a exellent gear set this is what i use in my gtr r33. They are a dog engagement but. That is have the fun look mum no need for the clutch.(expet for launching.)
Nissan GT-R
6 speed Dog Engagement Gear Set

Nissan GT-R
5 speed Dog Engagement Gear Set

Nissan GT-R
1st-4th Helical Dog Gear Set

Nissan GT-R
1st/2nd & 3rd/4th Billet Steel Selector Forks

http://www.ppgearbox.com.au/

·
Registered
30 Posts
with mine its 550bhp and mine had kicked 4th gear out, and the same with my cousins r33 had kicked 4th, both syncho related problems,

now i have a 33 box in my 32 and found if you dont smash it from gear to gear, instead move it a tad slower and let it click in then you dont have a problem, and yet i have a short shifter aswell

but most people recommend the os geiken kit for the 32's, from what ive heard....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
from experience driving an everyday car wid a straight cut dog box is more headache than profit , the whine drives you nuts and you constantly have to replace the clutch rings in the box (dogs) i would rather the os whis is an uprated gear and shafts.

that kit looks nice not dog engagement though whis is a plus might consider it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MADsteve said:
would it be advantageous to shot-peen the gears themselves, to remove surface imperfections and subsequently 'strengthen' them?

It used to be a very useful mod for Cosworth owners, and a lot cheaper than a replacement box:)
any companies that do that over there?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
would it be advantageous to shot-peen the gears themselves, to remove surface imperfections and subsequently 'strengthen' them?
Mine has been done , so far all is well ( i bought the box already done a few years ago)
I'd reccommend giving Ron (RK) a bell .

·
Vendor
12,590 Posts
my set up is the OS Close Ratio 5Speed with the Hollinger shaft and the uprated bearing carrier mod........................bomb proof:bowdown1: :bowdown1: :bowdown1: :bowdown1: :bowdown1: Built for me by RB Motorsport:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
56 Posts
There is more gear noise with dog engagment the trick is double clucth when shifting gears on the street and only when racing do you slam the box with out the clutch. this method has seen my dog gears do over 30000kms and the dog rings are still ok.
(PS i give the car heaps)

This ppg set worth $7000 aus
Nissan GT-R
1st-4th Helical Dog Gear Set
Cause the gears are still Helical cut there is only a slight increase in noise. and rated to 800 hp Use ppgs new main shaft($1000 aus) the box will take what ever you can throw at it. 5th gear is standard nissan but if you need to be puting full power throgh 5th gear you would be better of with a holinger seqential 6 speed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts