GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after finaly killin my gearbox i bought a repacement 5 speed box I bought 5 quarts of redline heavy shock proof gear oil . After spending ages searching the question is do i put this in the tranfer box as well? or do i use somthing else eg atf?

·
Registered
498 Posts
I was told the heavier oils although might make a slightly worn gearbox sound quieter for a while actually cause damage in the end because the oil doesn't get sprayed where it should due to being to heavy

·
Registered
485 Posts
Redline Shock Proof in the gearbox,

ATF only in the transfare box, use the likes of castrol ATF D2...:thumbsup:

Hows you car going mate...??

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
For the R33 GTR gearbox Nissan say API GL-4 75W-90. Take your pick of the market but if you are a Castrol fan they say Syntrax Universal.

For the transfer box Nissan say Nissan Matic D or for Castrol fans TQ-D.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
To be honest Castrol don't make a very good selection of oils for the Skyline. Syntrax universal is fairly basic and the TQ-D doesn't meet the Nissan spec. You'd be better off with the ATF Guy mentioned above for the transfer box and Redline MT-90 or Amsoil Synthetic Gear Oil.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ended up putin atf d2 and redline shock proof gear oil in her wen cold gears r a bit tight but at operating temp its sweet (tozgtr)car going really well apart from breaking the box engine hasnt missed a beat flyin machine call down to i get a look at your weapon

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
To be honest Castrol don't make a very good selection of oils for the Skyline. Syntrax universal is fairly basic and the TQ-D doesn't meet the Nissan spec. You'd be better off with the ATF Guy mentioned above for the transfer box and Redline MT-90 or Amsoil Synthetic Gear Oil.
Hi, I'm sure you're correct and thanks for the advice. Actually I was only relaying published information and mentioned Castrol because another person raised the brand. I've always respected Castrol though.
My interest in the subject is due to my desire to change my R33 GTR gearbox oil soon. I will survey the market technically but I don't want to stray from Nissan's guidelines or spend unnecessary amounts on gearbox oil since my vehicle never goes on the track. However it is used on very cold winter mornings (if it's not raining)!
I still can't believe what some members spend on wiper blades and I'm not tight when it comes to proper car maintenance.
PS, I wonder how many owners have got the V-Spec diff oil wrong?

·
Registered
485 Posts
ended up putin atf d2 and redline shock proof gear oil in her wen cold gears r a bit tight but at operating temp its sweet (tozgtr)car going really well apart from breaking the box engine hasnt missed a beat flyin machine call down to i get a look at your weapon
Yes man no worries, if your about swing by im never far away...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Hi, I'm sure you're correct and thanks for the advice. Actually I was only relaying published information and mentioned Castrol because another person raised the brand. I've always respected Castrol though.
My interest in the subject is due to my desire to change my R33 GTR gearbox oil soon. I will survey the market technically but I don't want to stray from Nissan's guidelines or spend unnecessary amounts on gearbox oil since my vehicle never goes on the track. However it is used on very cold winter mornings (if it's not raining)!
I still can't believe what some members spend on wiper blades and I'm not tight when it comes to proper car maintenance.
PS, I wonder how many owners have got the V-Spec diff oil wrong?
It's tricky with cars like yours as there are many options you can in theory use, but often there are a few things that are well proven. The Redline or Amsoil gear oils are very good, not cheap, but according to the specs for a Skyline you should be able to use a cheaper oil as long as it meets the GL4 specification. The problem with that is that many of the cheaper oils meet the GL4 and GL5 specs, and that can mean the gear changes aren't as smooth as the synchros don't get slowed down enough. If you want to go for a cheaper gearbox oil, it may be best to go for something very basic, like the Fuchs Gear Syn, as it's not as good a lubricant and should slow the synchros sufficiently. The problem with that though is that firstly it's not as good at protecting the gears and secondly, you need to change it more often, making the use of a cheaper oil a bit pointless as the total cost soon adds up to the price of the good stuff, which will outlast it. If you have the spare cash, go for one of the better oil and forget about changing it for a long time, or if not, go for a basic one and be prepared to change it again.

Cheers

Tim

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
It's the best way. Perhaps in an older low performance car you can get away with cheap oils, but not in something like a Skyline. It costs more in time, money and hassle in the end..

Cheers

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
It's the best way. Perhaps in an older low performance car you can get away with cheap oils, but not in something like a Skyline. It costs more in time, money and hassle in the end..

Cheers

Tim
Hi,

I've had a quick look round and your own site shows Gulf Syngear EP 75W-90.

This looks what I'm after being a sensible, daily, 400hp only, road person. Have you got this in stock?

You have some other products that interest me but I'll pm since this thead is about gearbox oil.

Regards.

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
That's good to hear since, after research, I've decided to stick with Nissan's recommendations.
I also notice you have Amsoil 75W-90 API GL-4(MTG).
I'll probably get one or the other of these oils from you in the New Year and perhaps you could give some final comments.
Regards.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
hi

The Amsoil would be my choice as they really are very good at making gear oils and the oil blend in the MTG is better than the Gulf. It's a true PAO synthetic, rather than a hydrocracked one (highly refined and modified mineral oil).

Cheers

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
Thanks, I like the spec as well.
To me, this looks like the correct and best gearbox oil for a roadgoing R33 GTR.
I'll PM you with my full requirements for the New Year which includes brake fluid and engine oil.
Regards.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts