GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reviewing a lot of service records for gtrs for sale. There looks to be a pattern of major works and rebuilds often involving billet baskets, forks and big overhaul. These are 2009 10s cars. Mileage vairy but some as little as 55k. Is this a thing or is it just the stage 4.25s? And bigger power gtrs. The service record are very good on some of these cars. Stay clear or is it OK now the gearbox has been worked on?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
If your worried about spending I would’nt buy one. These cars can make a big hole in your finances when things go wrong. Cheap to buy and expensive to run and maintai.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Best way to go imho is to get a car that’s not fettled with, so you can up the stages yourself. I spent money on my gtr doing only up to stage 2 approx £1500 and by far I’m the happiest I’ve pretty much owned my gtr from near new. So I know how it’s treated from get go.

·
Ooo Matron !
2,072 Posts
My gearbox came out as one of the shift forks sheared at just over 20k miles (2011 car) when running at around stage 2 (600bhp or so). It can happen at any time. And bear in mind I just tootle around in mine.

·
Ooo Matron !
2,072 Posts
Best way to go imho is to get a car that’s not fettled with, so you can up the stages yourself. I spent money on my gtr doing only up to stage 2 approx £1500 and by far I’m the happiest I’ve pretty much owned my gtr from near new. So I know how it’s treated from get go.
Lots of people say that. So if everyone only ever bought an unmodded one and then modded it themselves, if everyone took your view, anyone that did that would never be able to sell it.

·
Ooo Matron !
2,072 Posts
I bought mine for a NHPC with about 9K on the clock at 3 years old. It had a full Nissan service history every 6 months. I continued with 6 monthly servicing but now do it every 12 months. I drive about 3k miles a year and the majority of that is on the motorway. I only upped the power because I wanted a louder exhaust and so I needed it remapping anyway, so I took the view it cost no more to increase the power. My car could not be under less stress if it tried and still it broke !

But a sheared shift fork can't have anything to do with the power of car since all it does it move the gears. I might be wrong there.

·
Ooo Matron !
2,072 Posts
I understand what your saying completely mate there’s 2 ways about it, especially when it comes to Nissan GT-R
Mine was unmodded when I bought it, but buying from a NHPC then of course it would be because they will not sell a modded car. It did not even have a y-pipe fitted (unless it had been taken off that is).

My mods are only exhaust and remap, plus updated TCM.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am on stage 4.25 as well.
Gearbox was fine, but i decided to rebuild it for my own safety, i would recommend to get a car with the gearbox already done as it would save you all the hassle, and i would prefer buying from a enthusiast who is aware what has been done and usually they Are picky when they feel something is not right they get it checked. Getting a stock car with good service history is good too but the service schedule of nissan is quite long.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
It don’t matter what the service schedule is regarding the gearbox as they only change oil.
Best bet is to buy aftermarket filters and do a better job Yourself And before things go pear shaped get the ets removed and serviced as that’s a fit and forget part, whilst in there measure the plates and fit the retainer

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
You will be able to run 700 with limited torque, gearbox parts are very expensive for upgrades.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts