GTR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to change the gearbox while the car is on axle stands? I don't have ramp access unfortunately.. I am sure people have done the change with out a ramp?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Is it possible to change the gearbox while the car is on axle stands? I don't have ramp access unfortunately.. I am sure people have done the change with out a ramp?
Difficult.... Wouldn't recommend it.

Is it a getrag your trying to Putin..... Heavy bastard!!!

My cars on axle stands... Done a complete rebuild and bush overhaul in that position, but l stop at taking out and putting back in... The gearbox :(

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it is a Getrag, but I am thinking of getting a gearbox jack to help take the old one down and lift the new one back in. What is the deal with the starter bolt that most people say is almost impossible to remove? Is it done from the engine bay or from underneath?

I prefer to do the work myself or with a friend helping because no one takes care and pays attention to detail than yourself on your own car.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
It's done from under on the 34 is what I've found.... And you need asbestos finger tips and get yourself in a funky position to undo them..... This was all done on a ramp by the way ....:bawling::D

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
It's pushing the box home the pita.... Taken it out several times and it always takes a couple of us to push it back home....... Should they line up and slide home like a knife through butter? Does someone know a better way?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have changed a R32 trans a couple times using stands, not that hard really.

Just get the front of the car up a good ways so you have enough room to move underneath + some extra room. Use a small rollable floor jack for the trans once you unbolt the crossmember. Everything else is pretty much the same as usual taking a trans out.

The starter bolt you are probably talking about is the top one. I dunno about anyone else, but I had much more trouble getting it and the starter back in and bolted than I did getting it out. I unbolted the slave cylinder and front driveshaft to get to it easier.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Leave the bottom starter bolt done up.
Attack the top bolt with a 14mm universal socket on a 3/8" x 450mm extension feeding it straight in from the front around the alternator, water/oil cooler etc.
Add short extensions as needed.
Once the top bolt is out (it also has a cable bracket under the head) then the bottom bolt is removed with conventional tools.

Installation is just the reverse.
Nip up the bottom bolt first then attack the top bolt.
The top bolt and cable bracket is all done by feel.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe it is an idea to do it while the head is off so it is easier to reach the starter? as I have to remove to do the head gasket/head swap.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Just remember once the gearbox is out the engine will tilt forward making it harder to put box back in . I use a jack with a piece of wood on it to jack just under the front of the sump to tilt engine back again . If you dont you will battle to line the gearbox up while getting the bell-housing up the tunnel

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yeap bell housing is tight fit getting on and off the engine, plus gearbox needs a little twist .i use 14mm ratchet spanner on the starter bolts. But I can hang off the spanner cos I have 2 post ramps

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
When fitting a Getrag in a 32 you need to fettle the tunnel with a hammer slightly.
I have a Japanese book where they convert a 32 to full 34 running gear. PM me if you want a scan showing where they reshape the tunnel.

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
On your back it won't be easy, on a ramp around an hours job to remove from scratch when you've done a few!

Make sure you pick a dry warming day! & Good luck!

·
Registered
107 Posts
its a horrible horrible job hah
ive done it a couple of times before, but the last time i needed it out, i took it to a shop who have done it many times before.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I managed it on the floor with no mechanical skills what so ever. It can be done!

Someone gave me a tip for the top starter bolt, let gearbox hang down on a gearbox jack or axle stands etc after you have taken the crossmember off and it is ALOT easier to reach. The same for doing it up!

Unfortunately i didnt get that information until i was putting it back on the car. I got it off originally by laying across the top of the engine and reaching down, not fun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts