GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just driven an R32 GT-R which I was planning to buy as a stop-gap until I find the right R33. The gearbox was crunchy going into first gear (I assume the synchro is worn). Third to fourth didn't appear to be a problem, as far as I could tell.

Anyone care to guess at a price to overhaul the 'box (I'm assuming there'll be more wrong with it when it's opened up)?

Additionally, do R32 transfer boxes generally make much noise?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Box

Had my 33GTR box done this year
Syncro between 3/4 had gone so it crunched in at anything above 4000rpm.
Cost around £2000 not sure exactly
26 parts needed replacing inside .
Expensive but worth it.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
stop gap

hi,
R32 not good enough for you then? When I bought mine, the owner said the 32 was better than his 33 (handling wise) but the 33 was newer. He had 32 for track and 33 for road!
anyway 2k sounds about right for gearbox but depends who does it, try getting advice from abbey motorsport, they rebuild them.
My transfer box makes some odd noises especially pulling higher gears from low revs (in traffic of course!). I accept this as ok but I suppose it might not be. I think you ought to ckec out liquid gold thread as the motul might make ot quieter....any comments gary?
Dave W

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gearbox Woes

Thanks for the responses - looks like I've got some negotiating to do.

Dave - nothing wrong with the R32 at all (wanted one since 1989 - I remember yours from the Evo article), just don't want the associated hassles of an 11 year old car in the long term...

·
Registered
530 Posts
Sticky Box

Hi Pete,
just saw, and read the thread.....have you thought about the clutch????
Recently my R32 started to develop problems engaging 1st gear, and shifting generally. It got worse and worse. I too thought uh-ohhhh knackered g/box...expensive.
Took it to Abbey, turned out to be worn out clutch........had been going for a while and just got worse and worse until not servicable.
Since I've had the new clutch fitted its been as-sweet-as-a-nut.
In my experiance these g/boxes need "gentle persuasion" anyway, no one would describe them as quick. The only problem I've had so far (hoping not to tempt fate!!) is a common problem which is worn synchro between 4th and 5th, particularly noticable on the downshift 5th to 4th when driven with 'spirit' on a Mway.
Apart from that I don't think the old cog bag is doing too bad really at 91K milage and 401BHP (the 1 IS important!!!)
go on buy a 32 and enjoy, you'll get attached
regards
wroestar:D :D

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
more g/b woes

After reading what you said about the clutch, I got thinking. I was toying with the idea of removing the gearbox next week and getting the problem sorted where it crunches going from 4th to 5th. 5th to 4th is ok, 1st to 2nd is ok, so the question is…is it the clutch or gearbox?
Obviously the gearbox rebuild, even it is only one baulk ring will be expensive.
What do you think?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gearbox

Dave and Wroestar,

I had considered that it could be the clutch dragging or becoming worn - not being an expert, I wouldn't like to say for sure.

I had nevertheless agreed to buy the car, but the dealer has now gone back on the deal, so I think I'm still looking :(

·
Registered
530 Posts
Making a sticky box flow!!!

Hi Dave,
with ref to what you say above
Can you live with a bit of warn synchro??? as long as you know its going to crunch and you give it time to enguage and not snatch it then it should be ok for a while
I'd definitely check the clutch though, because if it is on its way out it will only get worse and make your gear changes heavier and thus putting even more strain on the synchro. I think with hindsight this is what happened to me and as a result made the synchro wear even quicker....if that makes sense
if you want to chat about it send me a private message with your phone number
regards
wroestar

1 - 11 of 11 Posts