GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just driving down the road in my r33 gtst and went to change gear, and...nothing,
The engine is fine, all working, turbo good, no detting!!so not that
No crunch from the clutch or sounds from the gearbox, but, when i put it into gear i get no power other than a very very very slight nudge,
So puches it off the road (into the forcourte of the subaru garage who offed me a part ex on it a few weeks ago) and the guard who popped over reckones it might be some selector box or somehting?
Like every ggtst it has a loose release bearing or something, but you can still hear that, its selecting the gears no problem so not the grearbox, and there is a very small amount of power stilll coming through so not the clutch, what could it be?anyone had this before!!im desperate as i dont want to leave it long as i need it!!!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Is your clutch pedal feeling normal?

When my standard R32 clutch cried enough the pedal was all mushy and vibrated a little when depressed..

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Selection of gears generally doesnt feel the same if the box internals are not rotating, It would be a good idea to get somebody to sit in the car, hold the brake on, chock the wheels and try to drive while you look underneath (preferably from the back) or lift the rear wheels, to see if anything is moving ie, the propshaft and driveshafts, If the propshaft isnt moving its the box, clutch or the splined joint between the box output and propshaft.

If the propshaft moves but not the drive shafts then its the diff or connections to the diff, If one drive shaft moves then the other driveshaft is broken. It could also be the splined ends of the driveshafts.

Have a look and let us know what you find....

Mark.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
right ok, thanks for the replies, im really confused, i have nno idea what a propshaft is!!!im useless with that sort of stuff.
So are you basically saying, put the rear on axle stands and have a look under while someone is 'driveing' the car?

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Yep, Carefully.... There should be a long shaft from the gearbox to the diff, thats the propshaft, and the ones from the diff to the wheels are driveshafts, And just in case... The diff is between the rear wheels, and the gearbox is under the gearstick ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheers mark, very helpful, all that stuff looks in order, no whines etc
spoke to garth at MGT racing, hes just had a 33 gtst in with exactly the same problem, except the clutch has exploded in extreme case's, said it can happen to any car!
So looks like in in for a new one then, hes recomended an EDC, (or something like that) organic single plate clutch! thats £375 + installation, looking at over £500, now, theres a chance it has hurt my fly, so i need to find a good lightened flywheel see how much that is, almost worth doing at the same time!!!!
Im looking at getting the car to about 450bhp, so needs to be god for that :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts