GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I changed my HKS induction kit recently for the Apexi kit, I noticed some oil in and around the afms and was told by those in the know, that this was perfectly normal for a car running higher boost without the safeguard of an oil catchtank. The search was on and after my nephew, Dirk, pointed me in the direction of his mentor, Gary at GTART, a solution was found which far exceeded my expectations.

Having found out prices of a few of the mainstream company's kit, the price quoted by Gary lead to believe that it would somehow be an inferior article but being the tight wad I am, I went for it. When I collected the tank from one of Gary's new guys, I have to say I was genuinely surprised at the obvious quality of it. It's a combination (washer fluid and catchtank) tank which fitted like a glove, looks bloody great and has, I'm sure solved the problem of a my baby's heavy breathing.

I won't mention prices here but if you're in the hunt for a catchtank, you won't find a better piece of kit for such a bargain price. Get in that queue!

I resisted the tart approach and fitted plain rubber hoses (tight wad) but some braided lines would look pretty cool. The K&N filter was not included although these are pretty widely available.

Fitted it Sunday and spent most of Monday (hottest day of the year so far I believe :rolleyes: ) on the Silverstone GP circuit. Thanks to Kiki at Option Motorsport for being so close and having plenty of Blitz irridium spark plugs in stock after my HKS plugs finally gave up the ghost after 2 years of hard work. Most impressed with Kiki, nice guy, good setup there and couldn't have been more helpful if he tried. He had also supplied me the new Apexi induction kit recently. We're a lucky bunch of owners really with so many good guys around to help us out.

The Silverstone GP circuit is the absolute dogs, Hangar straight is just so ***king big, Bridge is nowhere near as intimidating as I thought it would be and Paddock is just great. Prior to driving here, Bedford was IMVHO the best and most suited circuit in the UK for the GT-R but the GP circuit is easily better. Superb organisation again by www.easytrack.co.uk it was just a shame it was so bloody hot. 3 or 4 laps (3.2 miles long) was enough to see water temps up to 110+C despite running slightly lower boost (1.2bar) so I'm on the hunt for a dual core alloy rad (Gary, any ideas?! ;) ).

Peter.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apexi induction kit.... definitely noisier than the HKS kit but hopefully better filtration.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Yeah saw one on Dirks car

at JAE.

Bit flash for you Pete :D .

Ronnie has a larger NISMO looking rad on his 33. Don't know if this is what you are after ?

glen

·
Registered
404 Posts
Peter,

Would look better with braded pipes but where’s your windshield washer bottle gone? And what’s the minimum boost level that you need a catch tank?

Paul.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bean,

I'm still on stock AFMs but they are maxing out now so if, and it's a big if, I go any further, I will have to change to 80mm diameter.

Glen,

No flashness intended, just a necessity. I understand Nismo make one as do Apexi, waiting for a couple of other enquiries back.

Andrew,

Thanks for that, should have thought of them really, will investigate although a cheaper option would be not to do track days when it's so hot, she's OK when the ambient isn't so high.

How's your car, still one of my favourite GT-Rs!

Paul,

It's a combination tank, half washer fluid (see cap at rear) and half catchtank. I'm not sure when it becomes necessary to fit one as I think oil is always present in the intake even on stock boost cars but I guess it would be recommended on cars making over 1.2 bar...? I'm open to correction on that though.

Peter.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Nice one Peter

but as you said you gotta get rid of those black pipes..............Let me know what you replace them with for I will need some too soon..........:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts