GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got one of these or knows about them?

After getting flashed by a Gatso the other day(not in the Skyline,besides I never break the speed limit in it:D ),I have decided to invest in one!
I have seen the reviews in car magazines and it seems like a serious bit of kit.
From what I can understand they seem to work of GPS.How well do they do their job of detecting Gatsos,etc.?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Try this..

Hi Paul,

This was discussed some time ago. I don't know if there's anything of interest in there but it may be worth a gander

Enjoy;)

Stu

Radar detectors

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Detectors

Thanks for that Stu!
I had forgotten all about that thread!:eek: .

What's this morpheus you were raving about.Never heard of it!

Cheers

·
Registered
172 Posts
GPS satellite

Hi Paul

Also think about the new OriginBlue i. It has many features the Morpheus does not - programmable distance warning, direction indicator of camera, motorway only mode & a digital speedometer with a 1sec delay. Also if you are below the speed limit where the speed camera is, it doesn't make a sound. It works on the same principle of GPS positioning & therefore is not a detector. It is more expensive and the yearl sub is £50.

Rgds Ian W

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
originblue

Ian it seems a small price to pay in order to safeguards one's license!

Do you happen to know where I can find more info on them!

Cheers

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Originblue

Scott!?
.....and members think I am bad with names:D
That Nismo kit is going to your head Paul:D
I heard glen is getting one as well:D

·
Registered
244 Posts

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Hi Paul
If you are after one then I would look to buy at the autosport show next weekend or the road racing and superbike show (Bikes Only) at the end of the month.
My friend got one for £330 at the NEC last Nov.
They retail foe £389 on there website.
Hope this helps
Best regards Alan
:D

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Origin Blue i

Cheers Ian.

It sounds the nuts!

I think this is the one to go for unless anyone can prove otherwise!
I hope they will be at the NEC on Saturday!

Cheers

·
Registered
65 Posts
Paul,
I have been using one of the Morpheus speed trap detectors for the last 6 months or so. Feelings so far are that it has not yet failed to spot any of the fixed speed cameras, both the regular permanant sites, hidden behind traffic signs, and any of the temporary sites on roadworks. It seems to pick up all sites barring those mobile sites operating out of the back of an (umarked) poice van.
As you probably know it is not a radar detector but is a GPS device which knows the location of all fixed sites on the UK. It is updated with the latest locations by plugging it into a docking cradle and a phone line, it then updates itself with the latest data. It is fully programmable via morpheus (with a phone call) over a range of user options such as warning time/ distance, brightness of warning lights and volume of warning sound. I have hardwired my cradle via the power lead to the lighter socket then up onto the driver side dash, it does need a clear view of the sky to locate its satellites.
Pros and cons:
It does not give any false readings but will pick up cameras on the opposite sied of the road.
It picks up all types of camera including the digital sites.(this is obvious because it is sensitive to location not instument)
So long as the company remains solvent it will continue to defeat the latest toys the poice use.
Its currently only operable in the UK although there are plans to include the European locations I understand.
It is 100% legal (as it is a gps system.)
It is very easy to use. plug it into its cradle on the dashboard, in a few minutes a blue ligh comes on to tell you it has acquired its location then you are covered.
As you can gather I am impressed. You are not immune from the manned mobile sites or being trailed by the police, but it does level the playing field back tothe days pre camera.........and I have found that there seem to be fewer patrol cars around ! If you are going to drive everywhere at 150 the you will lose your licence, but if you don't want to be caught out by a moments inattentiveness then it's the dogs. ,
Rgds, Max

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
legality

Hi Max,

I am glad you like it !! I have a crap radar sensor but as far as I am aware the only illegal thing in production at the moment is the radar jamming equipment you can buy.

I can't work out why that would be !!:D

The law changed a few years back. Police farces decided that slowing the traffic down by locals knowing there is a camera and non locals slowing down when their detector goes mad was not necessarily a bad thng as the cameras were originally installed to slow traffic in blackspots.

Only later when the govornment realised it could be a regular money making factory did they start throwing up the cameras in hidden locations with a view to making money.:rolleyes:

And like you say at 150 mph they are pretty useless as you are on the camera before you get time to react, but to get your attention back they are great.

incidentally Paul, I saw a Geodessy or Morpheus in the for sale section earlier you may want to check it out.

all the best
Steve

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chers

I don't think Gatsos work above 150mph.Well I hope they don't.I'll know soon.......LOL.

I'll have a look at these devices on Saturday!
Hopefully I'll buy one,but don't tell the wife!;)
Cheers

·
Registered
172 Posts
speed trap detectors

Hi Paul

Hope you see one you like on Sat. The origin blue i will not react to speed traps on the opposite carriageways unless they are reversible. Information is downloaded as the morpheus. You get a GPS attena on a long lead. so you can mount this on the rear parcel shelf and run the lead to the desired location.

Steve C
You are right, it is not illegal to have a radar detector since a court ruling in 1998, but some plod do not know this [worth printing the relevant judgement off the net for this eventuality, so that your detector is not removed]. Also President Blair's government intend to change the law, under wireless communictions to make detectors illegal. The morpheus and origin blue i are GPS systems and are locators/navigation systems and hopefully would not be made illegal under wireless laws.

Rgds Ian W

·
Registered
506 Posts
President Blair

Now thats one chap who doing me head in:( . I just want to drive me car....instead I spend me days looking for speed traps:rolleyes:

We'll have to introduce him to the club:D

On a serious note. Paul, a few odf my friends have the Geodysy (?) GPS system and they have nothing but praise for it.

Best wishes and happy hunting,

Stu

1 - 17 of 17 Posts