GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is the 6-spd on the R-34 same as the 911 turbo and Supra the solid Getrag? how much hp can it handle if you want to go single and aiming for 700hp ~ 800hp?
Triple Plate Clutch from HKS is enough ?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
my experience

Hi,

My experience with Mine's and Nismo, congeniality with Getrag and Triple plate clutch is not good especially if the clutch does not have damper.
In my opinion, you'd better to use twin plate clutch with damper instead of solid type clutch to avoid from damaging to gear.
And for the safety, you'd better to use Nismo input shaft in the case of over around 550ps.

Yours,
Shin

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Getrag vs. the rest

I think Shin's right. I'm using the std gearbox with twin-plate clutch + dampers in my R34 racer (500-600 BHP). Actually, it's been in the car since the beginning. The only problem I have right now, is the change from 4th to 3rd gear.
As for Holinger, 6th gear appears to be weak. I was also told they fail quite soon. I'd be interested to learn more about this.

·
Registered
56 Posts
NISMO,

I can't prove it but I've reliably heard that the R34 gearbox is the same as what's used in the current model BMW M5.

Seeing as the M5 pushes out 400BHP, I'm sure the 'box is good enough for probably 600BHP? (200BHP being a realistic 'reliability overhead'.)

Richard.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Box

Guy.

Would you say the box struggles to keep together over say 600bhp if you want to do hard standing starts, or just generally over 600bhp if you are say a fast road driver.

glen

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about Ogura Racing Clutch Twin/Tripe/4 Plate ?

Richard

I checked the M5s 6-spd it says it comes from Porsche Factory :confused:

·
Registered
666 Posts
Guy,
When are you and Glen going to break these gearboxes then?
Can you let me know so I can come and watch?:D :D

·
Registered
994 Posts
Guy,
Thats really made me laugh mate :D

Glen,
Have a wonderful holiday and don`t forget to swim with the "Bayside Blue" Dolphins.

Missing you already,

Henry:smokin:

ps.Whats all this about the Essex Donkey Boys;)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Glen I thinbk you should go first.
There could be a camera handy and you would not want to miss a photo opportunity:D :D

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Essex Donkey Boys

Ssssssh Henry I only invited you along because I thought you could keep a secret :D .

Guy. All booked in and ready to go go. Still not sure what I'm gonna have though :rolleyes: . Poor old mark and Tony I must drive em mad.

Keep well ALL.

glen

·
Registered
666 Posts
Hey get those injectors after the gearbox is smashed.
May as well get some photos of them as well.
Be a shame to not get the injectors photographed just cos the gearbox is smashed at the same time.

But you must press on and get the injectors done soon....every other part of the car has already been caught on camera from 10 different angles already, to the point where it could start to lose its appeal.

·
Registered
49 Posts
wouldn't it go by torque and not hp. I know that is how most trannies are rated.
And anyone have any idea on good replacement trannies, perhaps a cusco (i think they make trannies) or HKS :D
I dunno about the quaiffe though. Dogboxs are great :D

·
Registered
520 Posts
What's this 'damper' that you talk about? I believe my HKS twin plate has had the damper removed to ease the use of the clutch. Is this likely to cause damage or reduce the life of the gearbox?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
hks TRIPLE

HKS triple,
its not that good I have broken mine twice,split the plates in half,
put a 1000ps through it you would have to change it every drag meet, ANY WAY ITS THE TORQUE THAT BREAKS THINGS.
I am saving for the ATS carbon clutch to put in mine its light weight is what i am after they all break at a certain point, the nismo\exedy clutch is what i use for clients cars top class.
Gary
GT-ART
GOOD THINGS HAPPENING ON THE SKYLINE OPPS! THE HORIZON:D

·
Supraman
148 Posts
Apparently the model of the Getrag in the Supra is the V160 or V161. Means nothing to me, but might to someone here. Is that the same as the Skyline box?

The boxes are incredibly strong - I've never heard of one failing in this country (and at £5000+ per unit, I should hope not!)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts